Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Top Pattern

Looking for the top patterns for a 50A sport coupe.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Top Pattern

Well so much for the seamstress next door..she has three industrial canvas sewing machines and would have knocked out a hack top for me.Just found out the 50A is a matching numbers car,build date of 1/29/29 engine and frame stamped 928707.given the body condition I need to restore the car correctly,its just too good to half ass.In ways I'm happy,I got the car saturday and have agonized for months over what the final vision for the build will be on other projects I've done.This car made the decision for me.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
wrndln

Excellent choice in my opinion. I restored a 29 sport coupe on a shoestring back when I was in college a loooong time ago. Sport coupes are a real nice body style.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
Railcarmover
BANNED

Im still going to go through it mechanically and drive it some before I go deep.The last project I did I tore it down before enjoying it some,figure this time Ill get the taste set good in my mouth before jumping in,given the level of restoration the car demands.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Yep, I think it's best to drive the car and restore some of the basic small parts as you drive it for at least a year. You can restore things like the generator, wiper, starter, water pump, distributor, etc. and install them and keep driving. Once all the small things are restored, then it will be down for a shorter time when you do the frame or body.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

A Friend, a retired boat upholsterer, did his '29 top, with a Heavy BROWNISH Naugahyde & a matching full headliner! It is beautiful & that, along with the quietening firewall panel, it is SO QUIET!!!
Bill Noisy
Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Well so much for the seamstress next door..she has three industrial canvas sewing machines and would have knocked out a hack top for me.Just found out the 50A is a matching numbers car,build date of 1/29/29 engine and frame stamped 928707.given the body condition I need to restore the car correctly,its just too good to half ass.In ways I'm happy,I got the car saturday and have agonized for months over what the final vision for the build will be on other projects I've done.This car made the decision for me.
I disagree, sort of. I don't see the reason to forgo a top just because it's a numbers matching car.

If you want to restore it to a fine point level I congratulate you for wanting to and wish you fun and a sense of accomplishment in doing so. But if you can preserve it and drive it until the time/money is right, I would do so.