Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
kehughes

Default Confused...39 Pickup rear fender brace part #s???

I am very confused. I keep coming across 2 different part #s for the rear fender braces for '38-41 pickups..

One part # is 81C-16341 and the other is # 81C-16180. Both have the same discription. Anyone know if there is a difference? Are they the same? Is one for 1/2 ton and the other 3/4 and above??

I need 2 rear braces for my '39 1/2 ton, so I need to know which one I need.
kehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Confused...39 Pickup rear fender brace part #s???

The C usually indicates 1/2 ton commercial. D is used for 3/4-ton, T is used for 134" wheel base, Y is used for 122" wheel base, W for COE, etc. The difference in the numbers sort of indicates different assembly relation. The 16180 number is not in my chassis parts book for the 38 thru 41 Ford & Mercury and may be part of another assembly. The 81C-16341 part number is in the book but the part name is complicated. It states, "brace-rear fender-81C810-A & B with pickup, 81C820-A & B (81C810-A, B when combined with commercial pickup box) (81C810-A, B when combined with platform & rack) 91C82, 91C80, 86, 91C83, 01C, 82, 83, 11C82, 83" There are 2 per required and they fit 38 thru at least early 41. All the other 16341 related numbers indicate rear fender braces. I could only find one instance where the 16180 number came up and that was for several model A types in the green bible and it was referred to as a rear fender "bracket" and not a brace.

I don't know if this will help you but more related info is better than no info. Maybe someone else with a 39 pickup can tell you more
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Karl Wescott

Do not under any circumstances consider any replacement vendors part number to be the same as a Ford part number for that part, or any other vendors part number for their version of that part. Or even the same part, vendor B may sell vendor A's part with a different number.

It is not uncommon for a vendor to "make up" a number. It is also not uncommon to modify a number to fit some form of a vendors system. For example on body parts the 712345 6 digit starting with 7 body was started in 1933, 1932's used mostly a 5 digit system carried over from model A. So some vendors back date the system to have a B-712345 though that number could not have existed with fords 1932 (B-) system.

Ford appears to have used the 16180 number body for rear fender brackets for model A coupes. The 16341 number body was used for rear fender brackets on model A sedans and many 1935 and later rear fender brackets (the prefix calling out the year and chassis). So it would be quite convenient for a vendor to modify all rear fender bracket numbers into the 16180 series, or the 16341 series, or even the 964225 series as it suited them.

When purchasing a reproduction part you have to go by the interchange stated by the vendor you are purchasing from, not by referencing someone else's part number.

Now for more confusion. The 1938-39 pickup front fender had 3 braces. The main headlight support (often called the front bracket), a brace from the bracket to the crossmember (often called the front bracket brace), and the one at the back of the tire opening (too often called the rear bracket). Then there is the rear fender brace or bracket. But what is important is to remember that who is on first, what on second and i dont know on third...

Oh yea, I almost forgot... some repro parts fit very well and well some dont.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
39portlander

I made my wheel opening fender supports that fit to my Wescott rear fenders, can snap some pictures and post them on this thread. More 39 folks may add some pictures with some measurement of there original or reproduction support brackets for you.

My truck did not have rear fenders when I bought it so all my doing from the cab back was very nice reproduction parts fitted to examples and pictures from the guys here on Fordbarn, thanks again. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
KarlJS

I’ve had this same question, picture and measurements would help. At least then I can compare picture and length at a swap meet. I’m in need of 1 front and 2 rear braces. The front brace I have measured approx. 25 1/2” long if this helps anyone. Didn’t mean to hijack a post.

Last edited by KarlJS; 02-02-2018 at 08:32 PM.
KarlJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
GaryU.

I'm reusing the original front fender braces that measure 25&1/2 inches as measured around side. The rear ones were toast so i got some at a swap meet a few years ago and had powder coated. They measure 19 inches around. Did a test fit and they worked great, they will be installed in spring when the weather warms and fenders go on. Don't know what the part number was though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5438.jpg (47.2 KB, 12 views)
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
bosborn38pu

I purchased a set for my 38 pickup from C & G - Part Number 81C-16341 back in April - $66 with shipping and handling. Fit perfectly. Bought the mounting kit from Roy Nacewicz - Part Number H-85-24.
bosborn38pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
38bill

Measured my rear braces today. They look like the ones Bob Drake sells. They were on my truck when I purchased it and they are probably aftermarket parts. The brace is aprox 18" long with the tape placed inside the channel measuring mounting flange to flange. The distance from a line drawn verticaly off the frame end to outside edge of the lower mounting flange end is aprox 13"

This is the Bob Drake part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob Drake brace.jpg (6.3 KB, 4 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
kehughes

Awesome info. I get it it now. I have the original front braces. Everyone is out of the rear braces though. Drake said around 5 months...ugh. I put an ad in the wanted for some rears. Thank you guys for all the explanation.
kehughes is offline   Reply With Quote