Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Tom Elliott

Default Modern valve spring seat pressure

Does anyone know the spring seat pressure with new modern valves springs verses original valve springs? They are about 1/8" longer and wider diameter so was wondering if the seat pressure would be much greater than original springs. It would seem more spring pressure it would be harder on cam gear and lobes. They sure seem harder to compress and put the retainer and keepers on. Thanks, Tom
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Fordors

Default Re: Modern valve spring seat pressure

Got a bathroom scale and a drill press? Put a spring on there and compress it to the installed height then compare the two. It won't be as accurate as a Rimac professional spring tester but certainly close enough for what you want. BTW, size is not always everything, they just might check the same.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Modern valve spring seat pressure

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
from James Rogers a couple of weeks ago
Quote:
, Chuck, I have tested the springs on several engines and new springs from several packs and find some variation in most. They run from 45# all the way to 60# pack to pack. The springs in each pack seem to be within 10% of each other but are different in each pack. I use a Rimac spring tester but have used a scale on my Bridgeport and get similar results.
From Jim Brieriey same thread
Quote:
I recommend 40 lbs. on a stock cam, 60 on a mild touting cam. All should be checked.