Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
miff

Default eBay pricing

I know that a lot of use have bought on eBay . Have you noticed in the past years more and more iron is showing up and they think it is gold plated . Like most of us we have a pile of that iron in some corner and taking up room . Also when I am looking for a particular part on eBay none are up for bids . But after I locate the part I was needing . eBay is full of them . Just a comment. Miff
miff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
53RYDER

Default Re: eBay pricing

Isn't that the way life seems to go?

Glenn
53RYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
GreaseMonkeyMark

And its a lot less than what I paid for it....oh well.
GreaseMonkeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Prices for new AND used Model-A parts are on the increase ...and have been for several years now. Same thing seen in sales of good Model-A cars. The value of them keeps increasing which is contradictory of those who feel the end is near for the Model-A restored hobby!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
pgerhardt

Here is an eBay bargain!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 2.21.43 PM.jpg (13.3 KB, 290 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
CarlG

I stumbled on a part that I needed just this past week. Seller even accepted my "best offer". Mine has some stripped threads, thought I was going to have to helicoil it. Of course, I'll have to look my new acquisition over carefully to make sure all the threads are OK.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
ursus

That is why some of us prefer swap meets and are disappointed that they are gradually dying out in many parts of the country. The level of pricing craziness is much lower at swap meets. And, yes, after you have searched long and hard for certain parts, they will come out of the woodwork and at lower prices once you have made a purchase.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

Most sellers are reasonable if you don't start with an offer that is insulting. The buyers that start super low will get a counteroffer or an outright agreement rather quickly. Insulting offers are met with silence or an outright decline of offer. If making an offer remember you are setting the tone for negotiations. Rod
Old 08-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Here is an eBay bargain!
I have bought many items from this individual and even though some of it is pricey the quality of it is outstanding..If he feels its worth that who are we to tell him NO....you just don't buy it!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
That is why some of us prefer swap meets and are disappointed that they are gradually dying out in many parts of the country. The level of pricing craziness is much lower at swap meets. And, yes, after you have searched long and hard for certain parts, they will come out of the woodwork and at lower prices once you have made a purchase.
While I understand your mindset, unfortunately that really is not the case for most individuals. When travel expenses are factored in on attending even a regional swap meet, the price of the purchased item(s) is usually found to exceed what it could have been purchased for on eBay. Naturally there are benefits to attending swap meets for purchasing larger items, -or personally inspecting something prior to purchasing, but it has been my experience that the swap meet items are more costly in the end.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
While I understand your mindset, unfortunately that really is not the case for most individuals. When travel expenses are factored in on attending even a regional swap meet, the price of the purchased item(s) is usually found to exceed what it could have been purchased for on eBay. Naturally there are benefits to attending swap meets for purchasing larger items, -or personally inspecting something prior to purchasing, but it has been my experience that the swap meet items are more costly in the end.
That is why I'm willing to pay what I consider a little bit more for a part due to lack of Swap Meets and the distance I have to travel if there is one for parts they may or may not have that I can use. (Zephyrhills is 275 miles from my house)
Old 08-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
Gary Karr

I have also noticed that ther are less quality original Model A parts on EBay now. In addition to that, we have to sift through hundreds (or thousands) of listings for new shift balls with nudies on them and seat belts in every color imaginable, not to mention all of the new parts to build rods and customs.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
CarlG

To say nothing of all the "Fits Model A" designations. That only means that the seller does not know what they fit. They just know that there are a lot of people out there looking for Model A parts.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I have also noticed that ther are less quality original Model A parts on EBay now. In addition to that, we have to sift through hundreds (or thousands) of listings for new shift balls with nudies on them and seat belts in every color imaginable, not to mention all of the new parts to build rods and customs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
To say nothing of all the "Fits Model A" designations. That only means that the seller does not know what they fit. They just know that there are a lot of people out there looking for Model A parts.
You guys make a great argument for having a Classified ads section on a forum such as this one. Maybe Ryan could call it a 'Swap Meet'! Yeah, that would be a great idea!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Jwilli

Swap meet are fun to attend.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Sometimes it matters HOW you search on ebay. I have found that if you type in "Ford Model A Parts" you get all the "new" and "fits Model A's" BS. But if you type in "Used Ford Model A Parts " it weeds out a lot of it.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #17
Rowdy
BANNED

Unfortunatley I estimate that less than 20% of the people into Model A's that have access to a computer visit Fordbarn on a regular basis and many ask a question on the forum, get an answer and leave until they have another problem. And less than half of the people who are on here visit the swapmeet section. Most here on a regular basis are here for the somewhat social reasons. Just some estimations based on what I see. So not really a very large group to sell parts for and very few responses for Wanted items either. Rod
Old 08-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Yeah, what's that all about anyway IT is discouraging to visit more/more areas that turn up as you describe .
I'm thinking/hoping that there must be a 'secret' to around this , but alas that is wishful thinking. And, as said, spending a tank full of gas to go to a swap meet for some used parts (if lucky) , is not very practical when you add up the associated costs. LARGE items are the exception, with saving shipping and personal inspection of item. I've taken to buying USED parts from Berts (thanks Steve, as latest box of used parts was just left) and Snyders..and damn glad to get them when needed. Have never rec'd any 'bad' parts yet ! I tellem...the more grease on the part, the better ! I've often wondered why/if Ryan will ever consider a parts swap meet, for members. Wishful thinking, I know ! Probably just as well , the way he has it now ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-05-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: ........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #19
CarlG

I have bought a fair amount of stuff on the Swap Meet here. Been 98% satisfied with all of those purchases.

Can't say the same thing about my eBay purchases, some what of a lower % satisfaction.

Both venues have their plusses and minuses. I am fortunate to have access to both, and use them with a fair degree of discretion.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 08-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #20
ronn

I always find good deals on ebay- many to buy from and your choice of who and what you want. Grateful for ebay and pretty much always feel fairly treated.

have had problems with shipping-that's another story. While I love fleas, very time consuming and costly to travel........... I also like being able to shop anytime day or night. Sometimes I buy parts in the middle of the night on the bay..............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote