Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Henry Floored

Default Best alternator conversion for my '41

Hey guys I have a 41 Coupe that I'd like to install an alternator on. My car is already 12V negative ground via a modified later model generator.

I'd like to convert to an alternator to improve efficiency. I'm not thrilled about how an alternator looks up in a Flatty but under the hood it's not such a big deal. If this was an open roadster I'd be more hesitant in using one.

My goals are to have the capability of supporting the possibility of running a hidden modern radio, additional lighting and maybe a auxiliary electric cooling fan. Also I'm interested in converting to an alternator that is readily available should I have a crapout on the road.

So the question is, what have you guys done? What works good? What's available reasonable and practical?

Also I'll not be putting any GM parts on my Ford. There's plenty of guys doing that all over the world. I'm more interested in using a Ford alternator with maybe even an internal regulator. I can dummy up the current firewall mounted external voltage regulator so as not to butcher my wiring harness.

Would appreciate your thoughts and thanks in advance.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
CA Victoria

Default Re: Best alternator conversion for my '41

FYI, one approach:
I with ya not putting Chevrolet parts on the ole Ford, the alt I choose was typ to a GM but not made by GM. The case is about 1" less in dia.

One wire smaller profile 100a, home made bracket, wide grove pulley, 4 blade (35-36) fan not mounted for picture.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...n-Brackets.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by CA Victoria; 01-09-2016 at 09:37 AM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
39portlander

Certified auto electric in Ohio, pictured is a one wire FORD.

contact, 1-888-597-8278 also www.certifiedautoelectric.com

Last edited by 39portlander; 04-15-2018 at 06:06 PM.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
brake1000

A ford Taurus/Thunderbird with a 3.8 V6 has a 130 amp alternator. One ground wire, one 12v wire, and one wire to the battery. Internal regulator. lots of these cars in the junk yard. The Taurus also has an excelent electric fan. keeps everything Ford.
brake1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

There is a Leese-Neville alternator made in the 40s for flatheads, that would be the most "original" although it is probably post war, most often it was used on firetrucks
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Bader

Chrysler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.5 KB, 70 views)
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There is the alternator in a generator case option, the efficiency of an alternator with the traditional look.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
flatheadmurre

Dont go for a bigger alternator then you need.
The need for a higher rpm at the alternator gives you a smaller pulley and a high charging unit taking lots of power eats up the belt fast.
So go for what you need...more is not always better.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brake1000 View Post
A ford Taurus/Thunderbird with a 3.8 V6 has a 130 amp alternator. One ground wire, one 12v wire, and one wire to the battery. Internal regulator. lots of these cars in the junk yard. The Taurus also has an excelent electric fan. keeps everything Ford.
The 3G. I use them on everything. They are great alternators, cheap, easy to find and everything can be serviced without cracking it open. I generally pay $10 for used ones and pull them off taurus headed for the crusher.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
Henry Floored

Thanks everyone! These are some great ideas and I have much food for thought. Appreciate it!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
Pete

Taurus 3.8 V6 type.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #12
johnh7

I used an alternator that is disguised to look like a generator. It will not fool a trained eye, but it looks better than a modern silver bodied alternator. It is a Powermaster powergen. Below is their information on it.

If you like traditional looks and reliable, modern performance, you’ll love this cool Flathead alternator. It has the look of an original generator, but is really a 12-volt, negative-ground alternator that produces 60 amps at idle and 75 amps going down the road. This model is designed to fit 1949-1953 Ford & Mercury Cars and 1948-1953 Ford Trucks with Flathead V8s and features a simple one-wire hookup.
We offer it in black painted or polished aluminum, and both include stock-appearing mounting brackets (the stock fan carrier bolts to that bracket) and pulleys that accept wide 5/8” belts.
· Easy one-wire hookup
· 5/8" wide belt pulley included
· If using 3/8" wide belt, order pulley # 91067178
· Uses stock-appearing bracket and fan carrier bolts

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
johnh7

This is what it looks like mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-08-17 12-21-05.JPG (305.0 KB, 90 views)

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #14
47 flatbed

To keep the generator look I had certified auto electric rebuilt the power master alternator/generator unit after it failed.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
Scotty's 52 F3

I have a 1G small case Ford alternator. I can keep the same harness and install a solid state regulator in the stock location.

I haven't mounted it yet as I'm still 6 volt positive ground. If I can hide it in a generator case I will. If not, it will at least be painted black. I will also try to hide the regulator in an old style housing. My stock replacement wire harness will be left in place.

I like the stock look too. Adding A/C down the road though.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 AM   #16
scooder

Henry,
You say improved efficiency, is there actually a problem with the 12 volt generator on there at the mo? Do you need an alternator cus the generator is falling short?
The generator should do the job no problem, there's a big bunch of folk that still use the 6 volt gen setup and if the parts are up to spec, it's perfectly ok. A bunch that use converted 12 volt gen setup, and works perfectly ok. But there's folk who "need" alternators either 6 or 12 volt.
I'm always interested in why folk chose what they do, and what lead to that choice. I'm not picking fights, genuinely interested in why you need an alternator?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
If I can hide it in a generator case I will. If not, it will at least be painted black.
The heavier generator case may not provide sufficient cooling for the alternator unit. For that reason, Ed Whitney makes a sheet metal casing for his conversions and uses only the end plates from the original generator.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

Mike, I don't know if it's the best, but it has proven to be a reliable, and relatively low in cost, compared to most generator to alternator coversions, but LD Becker makes some very nice alternator conversions in both 6 and 12 volt designs that you may want to check out before you make your final call on this.
I just bought a quantity of early Ford V-8 parts from a friend who is scaling back on his involvement in owning and working on these old Fords. Among these parts was a brand new, never been used, LD Becker conversion of a thirties style fan mount generator to a 12V alternator. I don't know if I will ever convert any of my stock 6V vehicles to 12V, but if I do decide to do that, I will have the alternator already to go for this type of set up, or I just may decide to sell this one.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-10-2016 at 08:02 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #19
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Henry,
You say improved efficiency, is there actually a problem with the 12 volt generator on there at the mo? Do you need an alternator cus the generator is falling short?
The generator should do the job no problem, there's a big bunch of folk that still use the 6 volt gen setup and if the parts are up to spec, it's perfectly ok. A bunch that use converted 12 volt gen setup, and works perfectly ok. But there's folk who "need" alternators either 6 or 12 volt.
I'm always interested in why folk chose what they do, and what lead to that choice. I'm not picking fights, genuinely interested in why you need an alternator?
Martin.
Thanks Scooder, I'm planning on several additions to my car. I'd like to hide a modern radio, electric wipers, possible electric fan and additional lighting.

I'm not having a problem now per say but my car is down and I have decided to detail the engine compartment. Like I said I'm not crazy about the looks of an alternator but I figure it'll save weight, and be accessible if I ever have a problem on the road.

I hope to drive my car more. I have "tightened" up the chassis and steering a bit. The car drove pretty good before but I just would like to do a couple strategic but sensible things to enhance drive ability.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Mike, I don't know if it's the best, but it has proven to be a reliable, and relatively low in cost, compared to most generator to alternator coversions, but LD Becker makes some very nice alternator conversions in both 6 and 12 volt designs that you may want to check out before you make your final call on this.
I just bought a quantity of early Ford V-8 parts from a friend who is scaling back on his involvement in owning and working on these old Fords. Among these parts was a brand new, never been used, LD Becker conversion of a thirties style fan mount generator to a 12V alternator. I don't know if I will ever convert any of my stock 6V vehicles to 12V, but if I do decide to do that, I will have the alternator already to go for this type of set up, or I just may decide to sell this one.
Wow John, thanks. That's another option too. That might be the best of both worlds in some ways.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #21
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
The heavier generator case may not provide sufficient cooling for the alternator unit. For that reason, Ed Whitney makes a sheet metal casing for his conversions and uses only the end plates from the original generator.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
Scotty's 52 F3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
What gauge sheet metal? It would need to be thick enough to support the weight and load of the belt.

Maybe if I shave the generator case down and improve ventilation?

Sorry to hijack the thread. I also like the stock look like the OP but, may need an alternator when I eventually add A/C.

I know I can buy a $400 1 wire generator look alike but, keeping the external regulator and stock harness intact is what I'm after. Plus, fabricating is half the fun.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I like the Whitney generators, but they are expensive. He can make them 6v or 12v and single wire or multi wire. I use one with the regulator hooked up, but the regulator is gutted because the alternator is internally regulated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whitney Co.jpg (63.5 KB, 23 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote