Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Patrick L.

Default These brakes work

I have not had the drums off this little roadster for at least 5 years. Every year someone tests these brakes to the limit. This morning was one such day. A dumb@#@% woman pulled right out in front of me this morning and I locked up all 4 and came to a tire screeching halt and we missed by 2 feet. She just kept right on going without even a glance, oblivious.
There are some that like to say these brakes don't work. They do !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: These brakes work

When they are done right, they do work very well. Sorry yours got put to the test!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

You need a paint gun mounted to hit the side or back of their car. Leave them a little memento of their stupidity.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
You need a paint gun mounted to hit the side or back of their car. Leave them a little memento of their stupidity.

Paint gun ? I've thought about an M60.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

she was to busy texting to worry about u
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Terry, NJ

Since I bought my last coupe with mechanicals, I am astounded at how well they work. I will take them every time! And I own two A s with hydraulics.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Ron W

I think the effectiveness is directly proportional to the panic level when applied! Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
RandyinUtah

I spent the time and money last fall to upgrade to cast iron drums from Brattons and complete overhaul of the rest of the system and yes they work great. Moo
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Kahuna

With hydraulic brakes, you'd have missed her by 4 feet
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
40 Deluxe

Kahuna, once all four tires are sliding, having hydraulics or mechanicals makes no difference. What would make a difference would be wider tires. If you could lock up all four 6:00X16 tires with mechanical brakes, he may have missed her by 5 or 6 feet! Or, if one had the presence of mind to modulate the brake pedal to stay just shy of lockup, maybe miss her by 7 or 8 feet.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
Henry1953

I like the paint gun idea. Maybe I will keep one in my Honda as well. I encounter so many stupid drivers since I drive at least 1000 miles per week.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
With hydraulic brakes, you'd have missed her by 4 feet
Wow, Wouldn't have been that lucky when my 1998 Dodge Dakota blew a brake line yesterday. I stopped. I didn't hit anything, but it sure was unexpected.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I have not had the drums off this little roadster for at least 5 years. Every year someone tests these brakes to the limit. This morning was one such day. A dumb@#@% woman pulled right out in front of me this morning and I locked up all 4 and came to a tire screeching halt and we missed by 2 feet. She just kept right on going without even a glance, oblivious.
There are some that like to say these brakes don't work. They do !
I had a guy run into me a few years ago. He stopped like he was supposed to , looked straight at me, then pulled out. He said he didn't see me
After we exchanged names etc, he said he worked for Holden (GM cars here). I suspect his life is so wrapped up in new cars that he just didn't recognise what he saw as a car.
I locked up the wheels that day but there was no screeching, only a not very loud scraping sound. I prefer screech so the other idiot gets a fright.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Often been said.. Properly adjusted Model A mechanical brakes are superior to hydraulics.

Any one who has thoroughly gone through Model A mechanicals knows that.

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Often been said.. Properly adjusted Model A mechanical brakes are superior to hydraulics.

Any one who has thoroughly gone through Model A mechanicals knows that.

Larry
Larry , What Vince said!

Have you thoroughly gone through Model A mechanical brakes yourself or are you repeating what you've heard on this forum

Why is it that new car manufacturers don't know that mechanical brakes are superior to hydraulics? Seems as though they replaced mechanicals with hydraulics. Were they wrong?
Bill

ps. If you really think mechanicals are better than hydraulics, You've got a lot to learn.
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #16
mshmodela

When people lose their license for txting and driving like a DUI, it will stop fast.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post

Why is it that new car manufacturers don't know that mechanical brakes are superior to hydraulics? Seems as though they replaced mechanicals with hydraulics. Were they wrong?
Bill

ps. If you really think mechanicals are better than hydraulics, You've got a lot to learn.
well new cars since roughly 1976 and on have had at least front disc brakes, they do stop quicker than drum and can handle loads more heat, i wouldn't want to be in a model A with stock brakes trying to stop as hard as you can from 80mph...

plus most hydraulic brakes are self adjusting, people can barely handle changing their oil when their supposed to nowadays and greasing ball joints is unheard of. How many of you can honestly say you grease your ball joints every oil change? Tie rods? steering linkages?

Couldn't imagine being on the road now with brakes you must manually adjust!

But for a model A when your comparing drum to drum brakes, you arent gaining anything (if anything your loosing) safety by switching to hyd. Are the hyd people are installing a split system? If not then gimme mechanical brakes anyday!
Old 06-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Larry , What Vince said!

Have you thoroughly gone through Model A mechanical brakes yourself or are you repeating what you've heard on this forum

Bill

bbrocksr..

Yes I have. Just completed a total restoration on all four brakes. For the third time on 3 Model As over the years. As far as to why modern iron are all hydraulics, it's mostly about cost.

On my second Model A, a 1930 Coupe, I designed and built hydraulic brake system. Worked OK, but I prefer well done mechanicals.
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
updraught

"If you could lock up all four 6:00X16 tires with mechanical brakes, he may have missed her by 5 or 6 feet!"

That's a wider tyre with a smaller diameter which will have a shorter, but wider, contact patch than say a 450 x 21. Does the 16 inch wheel grip better?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #20
40 Deluxe

updraught, I'm too lazy to look up specs right now but there's not a big difference in overall diameter between a 4.50x21 tire and a 6.00x16 tire, but there is a noticeable difference in width. So in my opinion the wider tire will grip better.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:35 AM   #21
waxhead

And I can still lock up my 650x16 tyres with cast iron drums, with Ted's brake floater system that are mechanically actuated. Not stating that the mechanical are better or worse than hydraulics as I wouldn't know from experience, but I can lock up my tyres with my brakes mechanically actuated.

There are a lot of threads on here regarding mechanical vs hydraulic brakes. I would love to see a real test showing a comparison in braking distance. Other than the pros and cons of maintenance/hydraulic leaks, adjustment blah blah blah, if mechanical and hydraulically actuated brakes can both lock up the wheels, I don't really understand how one can be superior to the other when it comes to braking distance.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
... if mechanical and hydraulically actuated brakes can both lock up the wheels, I don't really understand how one can be superior to the other when it comes to braking distance.
Neither can a lot of us.

If someone were to go from crappy mechanical brakes to good hydraulic brakes, they might figure that it is the hydraulic brakes that are better then all mechanical brakes, not just the crappy ones they had.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #23
JBill

I can lock up all four wheels, but have to push harder than I'd like in order to do it.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #24
updraught

I drive a 4wd and we know all about lowering tyre pressures to increase the length of the contact patch. Sometimes we go down to 10 psi or lower to get out of a tricky situation. This pretty much doubles the contact length.

I'd say there would be a reasonable difference between 35 psi and say 25 psi as to the grip you get under braking. Would be interesting to test?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #25
Patrick L.

These threads take on a life of their own don't they.
I do like the brakes on these monsters. After-all, thats what they had at the time.
I certainly prefer rods to cables.
Self energizing brakes hadn't been discovered yet and juice was just starting to come into vogue. These 2 discoveries just make life easier.

Although I will say that juice brakes on older cars that sit all winter can be a royal PITA.