Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #41
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Dumbest Reproduction Parts

Purdy, Who is "A"'s & More? Bill W.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #42
Purdy Swoft

Bill, A's& more is located in Stafford Springs Connecticut. Eric Emhoff is the owner and is one of the best model A guys ever. Eric was a big help with good original parts and info when I was rebuilding my model A coillection in the 90s . Eric advertised parts in
Hemmings motor news before we got a computer. A's & more has the repro parts and also has NOS and good used parts. he also has V8 and T stuff. A's & More is a small business but is sort of like Berts because he sells new repro NOS and used parts. He also rebuilds engines. Deb put my catalog up so good that I can't find it for the phone number. Maybe one of the guys in his area will chime in with a phone number
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
CarlG

Saw this on Google:

A's & More
Address:
56 W St
Stafford Springs, CT.
06076-1338

T(860)684-6532
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #44
Purdy Swoft

Thanks, Carl !!!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #45
BrianBurkert

I know that many repro parts aren't as good as originals, but sometimes the repro parts will suffice until a good original can be found. Looking at the price of repro parts, I don't imagine there is tons of margin there. That along with all the operating costs, all the returns and other BS, the only way the parts vendors can do decent business is to find the best part than can be produced at a marketable cost... and sell a decent volume of it. I'm thankful that so much repro stuff is available, otherwise I couldn't keep my A's on the road. Making or finding parts would take too much time and money.

That being said, in the spirit of the original post, there is some stuff out there that makes me think, "Why would anyone buy that?"
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #46
gweilbaker

Back to the OP ?, not really dumb, just been caught off guard.

The Repro ammeter that's poorly assembled, loose internals.
The 30-31 brake light switch- Takes a whole can of "rework".
The Repro 30-31 Dash-- They just don't fit.
The back of the terminal box that has screw heads proud of the case that eventually short to the firewall.
The radiator shell that don't fit without some elbow grease.

But you know, it's better than nothin'
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #47
Purdy Swoft

I agree, and If you are good you can make most of it work.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #48
BlueSunoco

......and as Mr. Terry pointed out a while back------ could you imagine the sales of a to-factory spec new mfg. gas tank for the Model A? But the huge cost of doing it?

hope someone on here wins the Powerball lottery and gets to feeling' froggy!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #49
jkeesey

As far as the gas tanks, I wonder if the original stamps are somewhere out in the universe?
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #50
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Bill, A's& more is located in Stafford Springs Connecticut. Eric Emhoff is the owner and is one of the best model A guys ever. Eric was a big help with good original parts and info when I was rebuilding my model A coillection in the 90s . Eric advertised parts in
Hemmings motor news before we got a computer. A's & more has the repro parts and also has NOS and good used parts. he also has V8 and T stuff. A's & More is a small business but is sort of like Berts because he sells new repro NOS and used parts. He also rebuilds engines. Deb put my catalog up so good that I can't find it for the phone number. Maybe one of the guys in his area will chime in with a phone number
Eric and his wife Barbara are very nice. He has so much old stock, but it's all organized on shelves. To go to his place it like going back in time. He is very honest on any price, I never barter. He has sold me many things for "a couple bucks". Every time you go there he has something different.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #51
w.michael

Did anyone else buy one of the repo gas cutoff valves for under the tank that works backwards? Clockwise is "on" and counterclockwise is "off." It's still on my car.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #52
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
Did anyone else buy one of the repo gas cutoff valves for under the tank that works backwards? Clockwise is "on" and counterclockwise is "off." It's still on my car.

W. Michael
Did it work well? If not, oh well, typical old repro. If it DID work well then there is more to the story and you get the last laugh.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #53
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
Eric and his wife Barbara are very nice. He has so much old stock, but it's all organized on shelves. To go to his place it like going back in time. He is very honest on any price, I never barter. He has sold me many things for "a couple bucks". Every time you go there he has something different.
I agree!!!!!!! Eric helped me quite a bit and usually had parts that I would have been hard pressed to find elsewhere. I bought lots of parts there and Eric usually put a free surprise part in the box with the parts that I ordered. That kind of service CAN'T be beat!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #54
Antique Automotive

I bought Antique Antique of San Diego in 1983. We sold reproduction early Ford Parts and Original Parts as well. The Model A Ford customers bought more parts in the '70's through the '80's than anyone. It was a huge business. In 1984 I published and distributed "The Complete Model A Parts Catalog" 1928-31 Ford reproduction parts by Mail Order. We offered the Best parts and also the lower quality priced parts. I had both types in my catalog and noted the differance. The catalog and sales did well but not great and in the late '90's was over. The internet and eBay has surpassed the walk in stores. Macs Ford Parts outdid them all by selling with lower prices mostly the lower quality cheaper stuff. However some of the reproduction parts are excellent. Vintique reproduces a lot and also Snyder's Ford Parts. Bob Drake Ford Parts reproduces mostly great parts. Kyle Allen at C & G Early Ford Parts 1932-72 has a great inventory of Bob Drake Parts along with Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproduction Parts. Kyle Allen at C & G surpasses them all in service and inventory and he worked for me first in the mid '80's where I trained him well.
Antique Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #55
gdmn852

A cowl band for a 30 coupe from Ricks comes to mind.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #56
JoeCB

I think that I still have four rusty "FOOL" hub caps that I bought from Warshawski back in the 60's

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:47 PM   #57
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
I think that I still have four rusty "FOOL" hub caps that I bought from Warshawski back in the 60's

Joe B
I don't know if this is true or not but I am sure I read or was told that Rick Freeman of Rick's of Shawnee Kansa was a nephew or son-in-law of Warshawsky / JC Whitney co. What I do know is this Rick sold more than Model A parts he also sold later Ford parts or I should say took orders and money for parts. In the eighties I ordered a pair of 1953 Ford F-100 bedsides,supposedly NOS Genuine.I knew from past experience that he had the tendency to backorder and kept money quite awhile,I made sure the parts were in fact in stock with a phone order. I doubt even in the eighties that I used a credit card back then I usually sent a postal money order. As I remember it wasn't cheap probably $500-00-$800.00 for them and freight.Well never got them,same song and dance that they were currently out of stock even though I explained my phone call guaranteed they were in stock and marked for my order. It later took help from Kansas attorney general to get a reimbursement before he declared bankruptcy or whatever he did. I was very lucky but I did loose about $80.. on a JC Whitney order later I think on their first bankruptcy.I believe that what Rick was doing was making money on money at a time when the interest rate was very high in the teens back in the eighties. He would have your money go in earn on it until he had to refund and do this over and over.I am sure their is a legal term for this.I don't know if he was charged with fraud or income tax evasion but I do think he served some time.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:20 AM   #58
John Dayhuff

Wick,
Can you repost the hubcap picture, it's not showing up for me for some reason. I have a funny looking one that came with my car and I'm wondering if it's like yours?
Thanks,
Old 03-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #59
bnchief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I don't think you have been around long enough to have experienced some of the first Specialized Auto stuff (made in Argentina) which was only slightly better than Ricks of Shawnee Mission KS (ahh, the infamous "Rick's Pack"), ...which was even worse than the JC Whitney garbage offered before that. If only you could travel back in time to the 60's and early 70s to experience the 'Repro Replacement Revolution'!!

Ric pac boy did you say a mouthful there my friend.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #60
al's28/33

My phaeton had an exhaust manifold from ARGENTINA with 1/8" misaligned ports. That was one of the first things I tossed in the recycle heap.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote