Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2017, 10:25 PM   #41
DougVieyra

Default Re: Gas with Ethanol or Pure Gas?

I should have mentioned in my earlier post, that in Kalifornia, the State Legislature and Governor have passed a law that PROHIBITS the use of 'real' (no corn/ethanol) gas from being used in any automobile that drives on any public road or property. In practical terms, it is against the law (in Kalifornia) to use 'real' gas in your automobile. In fact, it can only be dispensed in small quantities, and then only after signing an affidavit declaring that you will not use it in any vehicle that goes on a public road. Subject to real legal penalties.
The bottom line: it is a crime to use 'real' gas in Kalifornia's road cars.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #42
mfarley

Use the Pure Gas app on your mobile device to find stations in your area and prices.
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #43
Ray64

Anyone know of a list of gas stations that sell pure gas? Im in OHIO
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #44
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEbob View Post
Like "Holdover," I, too have been a Mustang-guy ('68 coupe and '69 Vert), my problem with ethanol gas was not the gas tank like he had, but rather the carburetors. Wound up having to rebuild them every 6 months! The rubber components in the carbs turned soft and started a carb fire in one of the cars.

I only burn Pure Gas in them now!

Bill
Had to replace the rubber parts and rebuild carbs every year when it came out. I use the corn in everyday drivers and get the straight fuel for the setters with stabil. I will not use corn in the small engines after to many carb replacements because now you can't rebuild.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #45
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray64 View Post
Anyone know of a list of gas stations that sell pure gas? Im in OHIO
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH
GPierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #46
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
... passed a law that PROHIBITS the use of 'real' (no corn/ethanol) gas from being used in any automobile that drives on any public road or property.
Whoa! What about folks who filled up at the border in Nevada or Oregon, say, and deign to drive on public roads in California? Glad to hear that there aren't any more pressing problems to worry about.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #47
Dave Young

Well, I started this, and I’ll try to sum up what you experts have come up with ...

The first replies seemed to agree that gas with ethanol was ok. It wasn’t ideal, but didn’t
seem to do serious harm. But subsequent comments seemed to favor the pure gas and by the time we got to the end of the comments, it was apparent that pure gas was definitely
the first choice.

I’ll remind you that my original question was from a newbie that simply didn’t know the answer. Based on what I’ve learned here, I think I’m going with the pure gas guys. I’m
fortunate, in that I can buy pure gas locally, so there you go ... Thanks all, from a newbie
owner and for all the lurkers who will benefit from your opinions.

Cheers, Dave
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #48
marc hildebrant

You can use what ever you want, but I would use any type of gas for the Model A.

I add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas and I have had no troubles that are related to stale gas.

By the way, the "pure" gas that some use still can get "gummy" and stale with time.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #49
Crankster

It doesn't store as well, as seems to be well accepted by small engine repairmen, and certain rubber formulations are not resistant to alcohol the way they are gasoline. It also runs noticeably leaner. It may be acceptable to run but collector cars often don't get a lot of use. Modern fuel tanks don't vent and absorb humid air during wide temperature swings, a metal tank vented to the atmosphere only 1/4 or 1/2 full will absorb a surprising amount of water over time. I try to keep the tank as full as practical to preclude this, and use a stabilizer.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:53 PM   #50
Jeff/Illinois

I was having stuck valve issues in our Flathead in the '36 Ford PU, started adding MMO, voila problem solved motor runs great now.

Use that and fuel stabilizer religiously and no problems anymore. That and I found three local stations with pure gasoline
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #51
Keith True

I'm still not seeing the sky falling from the bad gas.I don't like the crap either,but I've been replacing lines,filters,tanks,pumps,etc,since I've been working on old iron.I well remember taking sending units out of 55 Chevys in the early 70's that looked like blobs of rust.I worked in a junkyard in 76 with Pintos that were burned,not from the rear,but from the fuel line that rotted right over the top of the distributer.I drive my cars in the sheds in the fall,and drive them out in the spring.I just started my 54 Studebaker this past summer, with 8 year old gas in it,it had a full tank but I've pretty much run it out though.That one smells really bad going down the road.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #52
Crankster

Fuel kind of reverts back to what it was when it came out of the ground, sort of. At one stage it's more or less varnish or paint. It will burn but can really screw up the innards of an engine. I wouldn't risk it. Bent push rods is one common complaint?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #53
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Fuel kind of reverts back to what it was when it came out of the ground, sort of. At one stage it's more or less varnish or paint. It will burn but can really screw up the innards of an engine. I wouldn't risk it. Bent push rods is one common complaint?
Yep, that's exactly what happened twice on my 1949 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck. I couldn't understand why the valves got stuck so easily until I learned about all the bad things crapahol gas does to them. It also destroyed the flex hose on the bottom of the tank, and I lost a full tank of gas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #54
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Fuel kind of reverts back to what it was when it came out of the ground, sort of. At one stage it's more or less varnish or paint. ...
This statement makes no sense, more or less.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote