Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
drolston

Default Funny Thing About Flathead Thermostats

Wanted to replace tired old stock 160 degree thermostats with 170 degree units. Learned from this site that the Stant 14157 for a Subaru would fit. Had to clean up the inside of the radiator hose connection on the Offy head, but they do fit. Tested them in a pan of water with a candy thermometer and they both started to open at just under 170 degrees.

Very disappointed to see the temperature gauge go well past the hot mark (200+ degrees) sitting at idle in the garage on an 80 degree day. Then the temperature slowly dropped to about 170 degrees. Evidently the water temperature at the gauge sensor has to get to 200+ before the water temp up in the radiator hose neck gets to 170! Unacceptable. Nothing to lose, so I drilled two 5/32" holes in the thermostats (see picture) to let some water flow through the hose neck. That did the trick; the temp now comes up to 170 and stays there without overshooting. At least until the lousy cooling design of the 39 - 41 cars lets the temp creep up at idle (slower rotating crank mounted fan, too low on the radiator and too far from radiator, with way too much area for air to flow around the radiator instead of through it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermostat with holes added smaller.jpg (48.9 KB, 167 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
slowforty

Default Re: Funny Thing About Flathead Thermostats

I used some thermostats from a Volvo, Naturally I cant find the number. But they fit in the neck of the 40 head , I used a piece of wire to hold them in place.They fit loose enough so you dont have to drill a hole in them
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Lawrie

Another good way is to tig weld the stats to a short length of ss tube and the just push them up the top hoses.
Lawrie
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
42guy

I have drilled small holes in my stats since I have used them for the past 15 yrs.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:55 AM   #5
Tinker

Once you get it hot going from 170 to 200 is not a big leap. Like a pot on a stove, don't touch it once you take it off. Flow is good.

I don't run stats. Designed to heat the motor up quickly in cold weather. When I drive the motor gets to 160-180 over time (not worried about condensation in the oil). I also don't drive in the winter. I additionally blocked off the intake crossover.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-19-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
nbrskn

When I worked in the shop as a kid. all the thermostats had a little hole in them.

no thermostats can cause heating because the water cannot stay in the radiator
long enough to cool.

a small hole in the stat will also help the air to get out of the block when filling
if you fill slowly. slowly.
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
philipswanson

On my 40 I used JB Weld around the lip of the water necks and carefully centered them in place. Let set up for 8 hours and put the hoses back on. Never move and stay centered unlike wires. No hoses or pipes in hoses to impede water flow.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrskn View Post

no thermostats can cause heating because the water cannot stay in the radiator
long enough to cool.

Oh oh. Now you did it. Get ready to be bopped on the head for that piece of fake news.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
philipswanson

Not fake news.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
... Designed to heat the motor up quickly whenever it's less than 170 F outside
Fixed it for you
Old 04-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
drolston

Not fake news. Bad science. In a heat exchanger, the rate of heat transfer across the boundary is related in a fairly complicated way to the mass flow rates on both sides of the heat exchanger and the temperature difference. In simple terms, - no air flow and you overheat, no matter how fast the water goes through, and no water flow you overheat, no matter how fast the air flows. But there is no circumstance where higher flow on either side of the heat exchanger would reduce the heat transfer.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
coolcoupe

So what's the verdict on have no stats or having them ?
All opinions wanted.
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
philipswanson

For years flathead guys have been removing every other blade to get them to slow flow down for better cooling through the radiator and we say not to remove thermostats because the water flows too fast through the radiator and gets hotter.

Then all of a sudden a guy is selling his rebuilt pumps that flow faster for better cooling. Which is it? You can't have it both ways! Is faster flow better or worse for cooling? If faster is better, why not just pull thermostats?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
tubman

The Ford engineers who designed these knew what they were doing. If everything is "ship-shape", follow the factory instructions. If you have an older car with a clogged radiator or block, all of the "snake oil" solutions in the world won't help you out. Try to get itas close to the condition it was in when it came from the factory and you'll be good.

Drilling holes in the impellers or removing every other one? Running without thermostats? Good luck with that.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #15
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Not fake news. Bad science. In a heat exchanger, the rate of heat transfer across the boundary is related in a fairly complicated way to the mass flow rates on both sides of the heat exchanger and the temperature difference. In simple terms, - no air flow and you overheat, no matter how fast the water goes through, and no water flow you overheat, no matter how fast the air flows. But there is no circumstance where higher flow on either side of the heat exchanger would reduce the heat transfer.
This is so right on.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #16
Tinker

Bigger the tank the better. Ford designed it how it works. So many issues with over heating and tank size. You can't put a after market aluminum tank that's too small and think, because it's aluminum it'll cool better. Water tank size to engine is just as important. Less you are racing or dragging.

Think if you put 2 50 gallon barrels on the front of your car and pumped them in. You think thermostats are going to make it cooler?

If you run a lot of short runs thermostats are a good thing. But don't expect them to cool your engine. A good radiator will do that and air flow. (clean engine granted)

Last edited by Tinker; 04-23-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote