Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #21
HotRodmicky

Default Re: Boring a flathead

So far we built only one real big engine ( 304ci.)
BIG Ports and 1.6 valves etc

We buildind a second engine right know.Problem is i don`t know what to do better as number one runs sooooo well

I talked to Pete a few times and followed his advice and got a cam(big) from him.

The 304 only has a 3x2 with 97s but that engine hauls ass BIG time !!!
And runs cool!
It lives in a street driven `32 roadster

Michael
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #22
Ol' Ron

I was building a 296 for my self 3 3/8X 41/8, but sold it to a fellow This is in a 35PU and the acceleration is breath taking. Even surprised myself.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Here's a Lincoln V12 that's been bored to 3-1/16, not much room left. This engine is being installed with a 4 barrel carb set up. Seems the '42 blocks are the only ones cored large enough to do this. This ought to add some "gitty-up" to my '48 club coupe.
My kitchen table isn't that clean!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #24
Henry Floored

This thread is fascinating to me. In my opinion the "Holy Grail" of Flathead performance is to get the edge of the cyl as close to the edge of the intake port. Then using a pop- up piston to give the air charge a large chamber to flow into. So far that's my theory but I plan to put it in motion very soon. I would like to get the largest practical cyl bore dia with the largest intake valve I can get in there, and I'm gonna use pop-ups on the street in my coupe. Don't see why not.

Would love to know how you fellas are getting such large cubes. What bore and cyl wall thickness are you ending up with?

I want to emulate this situation in a Ford Flathead....

Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
Henry Floored

Now I'm not talking about actually moving the valves. Rather changing the relationship of the intake port to the combustion chamber. The only practical way I can see is by going to a pop- up affair.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #26
Pete

"Would love to know how you fellas are getting such large cubes. What bore and cyl wall thickness are you ending up with?"

Bore = 3.405
Stroke = 4.750
Wall thickness = average .090
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
Henry Floored

Awsome Pete, Thanks! What cylinder block type do you find is most capable of handling those large bores? I have an 8BA that is bored to 3 7/16 but has 2 sleeves. It's someone else's project so I don't know everything about it yet.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Floored View Post
Awsome Pete, Thanks! What cylinder block type do you find is most capable of handling those large bores? I have an 8BA that is bored to 3 7/16 but has 2 sleeves. It's someone else's project so I don't know everything about it yet.
I use any late block..Sometimes I have to go through several to get one with walls uniform enough.(sonic test)
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #29
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Pete, what is the minimum cyl wall thickness for a street engine and still run cool? I know there are variables. your opinion?
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #30
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
Pete, what is the minimum cyl wall thickness for a street engine and still run cool? I know there are variables. your opinion?
A street engine should run ice cold compared to a race engine...Relatively speaking. I try to have .090 walls to start with on a 3 3/8 +.030 bore.
I ran 315 ci engines on the street many times and never had cooling problems....The big thing is to have the block acid stripped so you have bare metal to start with in the water jackets...Rust and scale are great insulators. A radiator that is clean inside helps too.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #31
Ol' Ron

Rumble seat (Paul Garagan) is running 3 7/16 in his latest rebuild. He drove out for the chili party from Denver to Vermont and while he was here we had a heat wave that set some records . The temp never got over 185 in either bank. He has .100" wall cylinder wall thickness.
The thickest blocks are 99A/T (38-41 Merc/truck) Had one put to 3 3/8+ .030" and still had .170" wall. This block also has the intake valve 1/4" closer to the bore.
Good luck, keep us informed
Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #32
Tim Ayers

Pete & Ol' Ron:

Much love for you both. You know that and I've song your praises numerous times.

Pete: I can't help to think that your walk to school was also uphill both ways...

I think one of the biggest differences from back in the day and today is that you could purchase a complete balanced 4.25" stroker kit for $125.00. Today, one custom made piston goes for that.

Yes, I understand Smokey said, "Speed costs, how fast you want to go?" But the '50's are long gone.

Other issue is, back in the day, you were tripping over 99A blocks. Today, consider yourself blessed by the flathead gods if you find any good block on the first shot.

That being said, I do believe in going big or go home. If you are going to bore it .030", what's the point in IMHO.

See what I mean. And like Ol' Ron says: Keep 'um runnin'
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #33
HotRodmicky

Has anyone tried to build a "squared" engine?
I mean stroke is the same as the bore.....

I know the closest you get is 3 3/8 bore and 3 3/4 stroke.
But what if you destroke it alittle....
Then special pistons and small CCs ......

Has anyone tried that?
Michael
Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #34
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodmicky View Post
Has anyone tried to build a "squared" engine?
I mean stroke is the same as the bore.....

I know the closest you get is 3 3/8 bore and 3 3/4 stroke.
But what if you destroke it alittle....
Then special pistons and small CCs ......

Has anyone tried that?
Michael

I believe Ol' Ron sings praises about a square motor. Hopefully he'll chime in on this.

Also, Barney Navarro ran an undersqaure (seriously destroked to I think somewhere around 189+/- c.i.) motor while he was trying to perfect his supercharging experimentation on the lakes.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #35
39cent

I experienced the acceleration of a 296 inch flathead driving my buddy,s duece roadster. We beat 56 4 bbl chevys, but when the '57 dual quads came out they could get us. With 25 tooth lincolns, and 354 rear gears, we had to do rolling starts. But that baby would go and we could stay with vettes in the mountains. Three 97's, potvin eliminator, H&C mag, Ansen built motor, it was hard to drive downtown. Of course in those days there were few muscle cars around. flatheads still held thier own. It had done 122 at el mirage by a previous owner. believe it or not.
39cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #36
Ol' Ron

I like the 258ci engine because the port valve area can feed this to a higher RPM. WITH POWER. Having run a number of Dyno ests on Flatheads, they all seem to fall off after 45-4800 RPM. Sure they'll turn 55-6000 but the torque is gone. Very long cams with hi lift, and you can push this up abit, But the ports are th limiting factor. That's why Kong Jackson and Dick landy built their 16 port blocks. In Landys case the engines were supercharged and produced over 500 hp.

Back in the real world we have to use what Henry gave us. Porting and reliving work well at hi RPM, but offer little in the way of performance in a street engine.
I have a 3 3/8X3 5/8 crank assy and if I can find it , I'll sell it Cheep. Tell us how it works.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #37
Tim Ayers

"But that baby would go and we could stay with vettes in the mountains." 39 Cent

It was only a matter of time until the infamous beating a Vette story worked its way into this thread
Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #38
HotRodmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I like the 258ci engine because the port valve area can feed this to a higher RPM. WITH POWER. Having run a number of Dyno ests on Flatheads, they all seem to fall off after 45-4800 RPM. Sure they'll turn 55-6000 but the torque is gone. Very long cams with hi lift, and you can push this up abit, But the ports are th limiting factor. That's why Kong Jackson and Dick landy built their 16 port blocks. In Landys case the engines were supercharged and produced over 500 hp.

Back in the real world we have to use what Henry gave us. Porting and reliving work well at hi RPM, but offer little in the way of performance in a street engine.
I have a 3 3/8X3 5/8 crank assy and if I can find it , I'll sell it Cheep. Tell us how it works.
Hi Ron,
if you find the 3 3/8X3 5/8 crank assy i want to buy it and will build an engine.
Promised!
So go to the barn and look if you can find it......please

Let me know
Michael
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #39
Ol' Ron

Well this is a conundrum, since I moved I haven't seen it. I know where the crank is, but the rods and pistons are a mystery. Give me something to do tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #40
Bassman/NZ

Looking at a square motor from the other perspective..... what stops it from being bored and sleeved square? Piston angle? Crankcase clearance?
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote