Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #381
1931 flamingo

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Moving on now. Do 'we" have garage doors yet??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #382
itstom

Hey KiWinUS-

If you put up one post that exhibits half the intelligence of Kube or myself I will disappear from this thread. (No Vic, you can't help him.)

The "Deliverance" Kube was referring to is a movie; not a Buick, TV show or town. Check out the summary on IMDB or maybe rent the DVD from your local library (!?). Then, you may be able to put 2 and 2 together and understand the reference.

BTW, in this instance, you are not supposed to actually add 2 and 2. But if it comes up in the future, it equals 4.
itstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #383
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Moving on now. Do 'we" have garage doors yet??
Paul in CT

No Paul, not yet... . Tomorrow I should have several quotes from "local" garage door manufacturers/installersI hope we'll find a company that will provide a good product/installation, take responsibility and stand behind their work... We’ll see.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #384
Vic Piano

Hey ITSTOM, Oh please don't go... None of us want to see you disappear from this thread. I for one enjoy your continuing display of ineptness relevant to all things discussed thus far. Now you attack KIWI because he doesn't share your apparent infatuation... with movies about back woods red necks. Anyone not familiar with that movie (or its story) might be guilty of the same misinterpretation of KUBE's post. Give me a minute to put some popcorn in the microwave, that'll enhance the entertainment value… when you come back with your retort. LOL

Wait a minute...Do I hear Banjo's...
Old 08-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #385
Kube

ki·wi (kw) KEY

NOUN:
pl. ki·wis
  1. Any of several flightless birds of the genus Apteryx native to New Zealand, having vestigial wings and a long slender bill. Also called apteryx.
    1. A woody Chinese vine having brown fuzzy edible fruit with a green sweet pulp.
    2. The fruit of this plant. Also called Chinese gooseberry.
  2. Informal A New Zealander.
  3. An Idiot Savant. A person of inferior intellect.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #386
Vic Piano

Hi Mike,
Idiomatically speaking, you are correct, in that the informal use of the noun Kiwi, (referring to a New Zealander) is in fact what Kiwi’s handle is representing, not the other definitions. It's apparent that putting a dictionary in some people’s hands is the equitant of giving a loaded gun to an infant. Knowing the multi tiered definitions of a word or phrase is only the first step, you also have to understand the context in which the word or phrase is being used, to understand the intended result.

For example, here's an interpretation of KUBE, also taken from the dictionary...(to draw a parallel) cube (kyooba) 1. Any of various tropical American shrubs or plants, esp. of the genus lon-chocarpus, whose roots yield rotenone. 2. An extract from the roots of the cube plants, used as a fish poison and insecticide... It's obvious however that we all know your handle is a shortened version of your last name, and has absolutely nothing to do with the previous definitions, idiomatically speaking. By the way, I did not see any of the expanded definitions you made mention of i.e., Idiot Savant… in the dictonaries I have, Imagine that. Out of curiosity, what dictionary are you using?

This is a fun game. Thanks for playing. What's the next category for questions; will it be English Literature, Geography, Flathead Fords, Iconic American Movies or 17th Century Arts? Stay tuned as I'm sure the fun will continue.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #387
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hi Mike,
Idiomatically speaking, you are correct, in that the informal use of the noun Kiwi, (referring to a New Zealander) is in fact what Kiwi’s handle is representing, not the other definitions. It's apparent that putting a dictionary in some people’s hands is the equitant of giving a loaded gun to an infant. Knowing the multi tiered definitions of a word or phrase is only the first step, you also have to understand the context in which the word or phrase is being used, to understand the intended result.

For example, here's an interpretation of KUBE, also taken from the dictionary...(to draw a parallel) cube (kyooba) 1. Any of various tropical American shrubs or plants, esp. of the genus lon-chocarpus, whose roots yield rotenone. 2. An extract from the roots of the cube plants, used as a fish poison and insecticide... It's obvious however that we all know your handle is a shortened version of your last name, and has absolutely nothing to do with the previous definitions, idiomatically speaking. By the way, I did not see any of the expanded definitions you made mention of i.e., Idiot Savant… in the dictonaries I have, Imagine that. Out of curiosity, what dictionary are you using?

This is a fun game. Thanks for playing. What's the next category for questions; will it be English Literature, Geography, Flathead Fords, Iconic American Movies or 17th Century Arts? Stay tuned as I'm sure the fun will continue.
You Vic, have apparently grasped "the read between the lines" of my response to Kiwi. Judging by his previous posts, he will not understand my retort. How do guys like that survive? Oh yeah, breathing - involuntary.
"Idiot savant" is a coupling of two separate words to express a "hybrid" of sorts. I pray YOU understand what I was expressing. If not, PM me and I will attempt to explain. In the meantime, I might suggest you look up the definition of each word. C'mon Vic, connect the dots here. It isn't (shouldn't be) that difficult. C'mon, you can do it...
I will not continue to play what you think is a game if there are no minimum requirements to enter. I find it too discouraging to "play" with folks (IE:mouth breeders) the likes of which think Deliverance was a Buick.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #388
Vic Piano

Mike, c'mon, do you think for one second that I don't know what an Idiot Savant is...? I will admit that (more often than not), I’ve heard the term used in a complementary fashion rather then a derogatory one. I just didn't feel like opening up another juxtaposition of terms for fear that I might unwillingly unleash a double-entendre... Remember, it was General George Patton who said; “the Americans and British are two peoples separated only by a common language”. It is very likely that someone from a different culture could and would misinterpret a reference such as the one you made. After all, (to bring an example closer to the subject matter on the forum), the descriptive terms used relevant to English motor cars differ significantly from American cars. Case in point; the hood (on American cars) is the bonnet on English cars; I could go on however I’m sure you get the drift.

As for the game, unfortunately, I don't get to set the requirements or the rules. As it stands, the only requirement (to get into the game, is to post on a thread), you don't have to have any knowledge of the subject or any grammatical skills whatsoever. However, it helps to have a modicum of the aforementioned attributes if one wants to stay in the game and possibly excel. I think the term that you were looking for is “Oxygen Thief”. There, that should propel us both into the next round.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #389
Kube

As for the game, unfortunately, I don't get to set the requirements or the rules. As it stands, the only requirement (to get into the game, is to post on a thread), you don't have to have any knowledge of the subject or any grammatical skills whatsoever. However, it helps to have a modicum of the aforementioned attributes if one wants to stay in the game and possibly excel. I think the term that you were looking for is “Oxygen Thief”. There, that should propel us both into the next round.
[/QUOTE]
I suppose this means KIWI stays huh?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #390
itstom

Hey Vic, the conditions for my departure have not been met yet so don't panic. And please, oh wise one, explain how, with my one post , you know I am "infatuated" with a movie. Now is your time to shine. Please explain this amazing gift of yours.
itstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #391
Vic Piano

Mike, like I said... anyone who wants to play is eligible...

itstom, as far as your conditions for eligibility being met... That's a subjective situation... It's a good thing (for you) that you included KUBE in your criteria, (without him you would not even come close to meeting your self-imposed requirement to stay in the game). As for your cinematic prowess, read my post again, I said "your apparent infatuation" (does that require further explanation for you) but, I guess my amazing gift (as you call it) has enabled me to hit the target fairly close to the bull’s eye... Glad you’ve chosen to stay in the game, your participation certainly adds to the comedic element. Not to be boastful but it should be blatantly obvious to you that (in comparison) my postings shine like a beacon in the night against your flickering candle light in the noon day sun.

Are you ready to play the next round…?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #392
Vic Piano

Now back to Flathead fun. Today (on my lunch hour) I'm going to remove the headlight switch body housing, in preparation for removal of the light switch and horn rod, and maybe (if time allows) attempt to remove the Banjo steering wheel so I can install the new upper column bushing...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #393
Mart

I can't work out what is going on with this thread.

I click on it to see what has been going on in Vic's garage, and all I can see is people trying to outsmart each other.

I can't be bothered to work out if the jibes are malicious or in fun. I hope they are in fun, but to be honest, for me it's ruining the thread.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #394
Lawson Cox

I agree wholehartedly.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #395
Vic Piano

Mart, I am in total agreement with you, the jabs are becoming tiresome however, sometimes it becomes necessary to defend ones position. I started this thread to share our fun with the Zephyr, etc. and I've tried to steer it back (pun intended) in that direction, all the while defending myself against naysayers and would be detractors. It would be a breath of fresh air for me and (I'm sure) a lot of others, if we could return to the original subject. I’ll keep trying; the '39 is waiting...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #396
Vic Piano

Ok, here's a question; I removed the headlight switch. Do I have to remove the "spider" and the spring to remove the rod and, if so, how do I remove the "U" shaped retainer? Or will the rod assembly with the spring, etc. attached, slide out of the column...? Thanks. Vic
Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #397
Lanny

Vic, you close the above post, #395 with this quote:
" It would be a breath of fresh air for me and (I'm sure) a lot of others, if we could return to the original subject. I’ll keep trying;"
--------------------------------------------------------

yet you close post #391 with this quote:
"Are you ready to play the next round…?"
----------------------------------------------------------------

and you close post #388 with this quote:
"I think the term that you were looking for is “Oxygen Thief”. There, that should propel us both into the next round."

also, you close post #386 with this quote:
"

Point is Vic, you tell the folks here, you would like the games to end,
yet, in your own words, Looks Like You are Egging Them On.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #398
hope

Time for Ryan to step in.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #399
Vic Piano

Lanny, thanks for pointing that out. Those "closing remarks" were all delivered in a sarcastic tone; letting those individuals know that I am perfectly capable of "playing the game" (also a sarcastic reference) should they wish to continue. However, you missed the point, and also failed to make note of the times that I have reverted to the original subject, working on Flatheads. Is your intent (in this post) to add fuel to the fire? Or would you care to comment on any of the Flathead related questions I've posed throughout this thread? I’d welcome the latter.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #400
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Lanny, thanks for pointing that out. Those "closing remarks" were all delivered in a sarcastic tone; letting those individuals know that I am perfectly capable of "playing the game" (also a sarcastic reference) should they wish to continue. However, you missed the point, and also failed to make note of the times that I have reverted to the original subject, working on Flatheads. Is your intent (in this post) to add fuel to the fire? Or would you care to comment on any of the Flathead related questions I've posed throughout this thread? I’d welcome the latter.
Probably no one has offered any advice because they know that you are going to make Mike or Steve or some other "poor ole sod" get under the car and do the dirty work while you take pictures or order the pizza. By the way you ordered the wrong steering column bushing,junk compared to the correct one that Dan Brusegard makes.