Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Fan replacement

I’m running an original 2-blade fan and am getting ready to do some touring with our local club. I’m looking for opinions for the best replacement fan. I do have a new cast aluminum fan, as well as a couple more originals that appear to be in excellent condition. I have heard that replacement fans with plastic blades are also available, but don’t know which vendors carry them. Thoughts ??

Thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Werner

Default Re: Fan replacement

Guten Abend Jim,

I replaced the original sheet metal propeller with the thicker aluminum casting. The Alu-Prop runs a little quieter than the thin predecessor, because he less warps.

Before mounting I balanced it with a cone for lawnmower blades.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

What ever you do, be sure the tapers match. If there is any wobble on the shaft before you tighten the nut, don't use it. If you have a nice tight fit and no visible stress, leave the old one on for your tour. Have fun.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
WHN

Most of us will never know before hand when our original fan blade is going to fail.

When it does decide to let go, the amount of damage could surprise you. I unfortunately have first hand experience.

The new two blade fans offered today work great. I am using one with a leakless water pump and a new radiator. Never any over heating problem. No balance issues.

It is another potential problem that you can remove from your check list. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Conaway2

thanks for all the comments. I lost a radiator about 35 years ago when a blade broke off the fan, and I don’t want to experience that again ! I haven’t driven my car much in the past 25 years, so haven’t really put it under stress. Since I just installed a new engine - and joined the local Model A club, I expect to be doing much more driving.

I just mounted the aluminum blade onto a rebuilt leakless water pump, and the tapers match quite well. All the parts are from Bratton’s so I’m not too surprised they fit together so well.

Werner - I checked the fan balance with a primitive set-up, and it seems to be well-balanced. Good suggestion.

Thanks again for your responses - Jim
Old 10-28-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
dmaxweb

I'd install the aluminum fan before starting it again. Also, recommend water pump mounting bolts with machined heads resembling nuts.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Jeff M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Most of us will never know before hand when our original fan blade is going to fail.

When it does decide to let go, the amount of damage could surprise you. I unfortunately have first hand experience.

The new two blade fans offered today work great. I am using one with a leakless water pump and a new radiator. Never any over heating problem. No balance issues.

It is another potential problem that you can remove from your check list. Enjoy.

Did you have any issues with the aluminum fan rubbing on the leakless pump housing?
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Did you have any issues with the aluminum fan rubbing on the leakless pump housing?
No issues at all. Many happy miles.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
CT Jack

I highly recommend replacement of the fan with a quality aluminum prop. Eventhough the orignal looks perfect on the outside and you don't drive your car frequently, everytime you rev your engine the blades flex increasing the chance of hidden internal cracks to grow. The ultimate eventuality will be blade failure.
Have fun driving your A with an aluminum engine fan.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
Conaway2

I had no problem with the aluminum fan rubbing on the water pump housing either.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
RandyinUtah

After losing a fan 35 years ago I went with the aluminum fan which came powder coated black and balanced. I would never run a original fan again.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #12
History

Found a crack in mine a few weeks ago and thanks to the people on this forum I decided to get the aluminum fan. I got mine from Snyders and it fit perfectly with no rubbing on the pump.

I've had time to really look at the original fan and can see the time bomb they can become. It's interesting how they decided to make the fan with the folds in it. It's also its downfall as it's easy to see how they can surprise you with the fan blade coming off and going through something.

Here's a link to the thread I started with some photos of what goes wrong with original blades..

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270969
History is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
barnstuf

Do not overlook the thrust collar thats is installed on the shaft at the very front of the pump. It is an upgrade to prevent back and forth movements of the water pump shaft. The back end of the shaft rubs against an embossment in the cylinder head when the engine idles. After many years of rubbing the shaft develops too much forward and backward motion, which can lead to a leak, even with a new pump. This is why major dealers offer a slightly longer water pump shaft as one cure, or the thrust collar as an optional cure when using a standard length shaft.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote