Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #41
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Introducing Jeff's '35 Fordor

Jeff,
You never mentioned the acorn covers on the intake cap screws !
Henry would have his critique , but I'm diggin' it.
All the best,
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 AM   #42
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
Jeff, This should make Seth and Alex very happy��. Looking forward to the pics. Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Jeff, You never mentioned the acorn covers on the intake cap screws! Henry would have his critique , but I'm diggin' it. All the best, Charlie ny
You guys make me laugh. Charlie, those covers lasted about a week before they came off. Those pics are from the day I brought it home! IDK what Dad might have thought, Pro or Con, but crappy "almost chrome" plastic caps on top of original Ford bolts <Angels Singing>... Naaah.

1) The engine was built from parts that Dad, henry@1140, supplied to Mark Moriarty. We got the finished engine six years ago, I guess. It waited for it's turn, and now it's starting quickly, running nice and pulling strong.

2) We did have to remove that grill. Putting it back was, um, not a smooth process. The load-leveler both helped and hurt. At one point we couldn't crank it because the handle was fouling the chains. We had to remove the handle and work it with a ratchet from the opposite end for a while. Jury is out. I love those license plates! They should be white/cream background with dark blue letters but they look orange w/ black letters from age and surface rust. Took 'em to the Gov't tag place unpainted and they puzzled a long time before I convinced them the colors were right. I ain't fixin' them until the car is painted, which probably means never.

3) My index finger went knuckle deep in this sludge. Please everyone, stop asking why 5qts at oil change makes your dipstick high... This kind of stuff takes up volume in the oil pan, hmmm?!?

4) You think this is a just a cat, so wrong. Folks, let me introduce you to Blue Eyes. She's forgotten more about 35 Fords than most of y'all ever knew! Yoda looked a little funny too! Just sayin' Plus she hoards parts and knows where they all are!

5) Magic will be happening with this pile when put in JM35Sedan's hands. (And essential bits supplied from my favorite vendor of the really good stuff, Third Gen Automotive, 35fordtn here on the 'Barn, ebay https://www.ebay.com/str/Third-Gen-Automotive, please excuse the shameless plug but I wouldn't be at this stage without several parts orders!) (Second shameless plug for Gasoline as the best parts cleaner, though very un-PC.)

JM is gonna have to chime in here with a few more snapshots because I don't see many more good ones in my library.

P.S. Sadly Frank Miller's prediction of me taking it to Dearborn didn't happen, it was, well, broken. After I ordered that 3M adhesive remover, which worked great the cowl gasket is much better now, I buggered up the fuel and spark systems (Skip, Max & Charlie playing Santa's Helpers, please support these vendors, you will not be disappointed!), which are sorted out now except for the cruddy tank and no gauge (any nice '35 fuel tanks left on earth?, please let me know if you have a lead). We're confident of taking this car to Auburn this summer! The Phaeton went to Michigan with me and it performed perfectly. (Until I drove over one of the running board trim strips at the Motor Muster... My bad. That dang thing never stayed on the car, but I've got a fix for it thanks to Don Rogers!)

P.S.S. Glenn Sanders doesn't know it but the cluster shaft for my rebuild came from the leftovers from one of his pieces and is in that 'numbers matching' case. Thanks Glenn.

P.S.S.S I now owe JM at least one year working on his cars! I'ma hold him to that deal too! You can just catch him in pic 2 on the right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0292.jpg (88.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0309.jpg (54.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0318.jpg (86.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0329.jpg (61.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg FB~GEDC0330.jpg (74.2 KB, 56 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-06-2019 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Adding sh*t
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #43
VeryTangled

A few that JM put up in another thread...

I've just realized that red load-leveler worked okay, it was the yellow one we had issues with. That yellow one is the POS that I own, it was fouled on the lift arm not the chain. I could also be an idiot who doesn't know which way to hook it up?!?

Here's another tidbit for y'all. This car just might have been Biaritz Blue from what flaking paint I'm finding, but the engine compartment is black. I wish it had never been painted (twice or three times)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180908_145126248_HDR(1).jpg (81.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180908_155113989_HDR(1).jpg (73.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181021_180337812(1).jpg (85.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181007_173550897_HDR-2(1).jpg (88.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-06-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #44
Kens 36

Looking great Jeff! I'm sure you will have it ready in plenty of time for Auburn.

Ken
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #45
Brendan

is Blue Eyes the shop cat? the Shop cat i had had grease on him

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #46
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
is Blue Eyes the shop cat? the Shop cat i had had grease on him
She's the Yang to JM's Ying. In the mechanic sense of the meaning. One time, while the engine was out, and the trans cover off, after a week's layoff I found some white hairs on the rear seat. Good for her to find that soft spot, I thought! Karma blessings for the Green Beast.

I've probably never mentioned it, but the dumbasses that painted it, removed the roof insert, and used black convertible top material in it's place. The only d-bags who worked on the car were the painters and interior guys. Praise be that it hasn't leaked and ruined the headliner... Yet.

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-06-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #47
Seth Swoboda

Jeff,

That engine was slugged up something bad! I can't believe you let me drive that car around Virginia! (just kidding).

I think in Auburn we're going to have a flathead drag race this year. Sanctioned or not! Can't wait to hammer down in the green beast!
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote