Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Default Is Macs under new management?

I haven't ordered anything from them in over 20 years, but Iam getting email almost everyday with free shipping and better prices. I know that there shipping was higher then others. Other out of state vendors have better shipping fees then Macs in the New York area.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
Dodge

Default Re: Is Macs under new management?

The answer is yes. I only buy the things from them that no one else has. They are a pain in the differential....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

'Shipping' is not the problem at Macs.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
WHN

They have a new owner and are no longer in Lockport, New York.

I have purchased items from them this year. Shipping was an issue.

They were our main supplier.

Have not had any problems getting items returned. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Ed

There are better parts vendors than Mac's. I have ordered from them twice since they changed owners. Both times were very problematic.

The first order was sent somewhere else, and the order I received was also supposed to go to someone else. When I finally received my order, there were parts that were not shipped. (They were going to ship two,items later.). There were slight price differences, and the shipping charges were quite high.

The second order I received from them a few parts were wrong, and there were definite quality issues with at least two of the parts. Returning these parts was pretty easy, but I ended up paying the freight both ways.

I found it difficult to ask questions with their customer service reps. They are data entry people, they know nothing about any of the items they sell.

After these two experiences, I have not placed another order with them. For Model A parts I have found Berts in Colorado to be very good. They really know Model A's, and they have many original parts. They have been very helpful with part quality questions as well as making suggestions and recommendations to make the correct choice when making a purchase. They also bill actual shipping cost, nothing extra.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
duke36

Now owned by Ecklers based in Florida. They sell for multiple makes, not Model A specific. Their paper catalogue is in color.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
I haven't ordered anything from them in over 20 years, but Iam getting email almost everyday with free shipping and better prices. I know that there shipping was higher then others. Other out of state vendors have better shipping fees then Macs in the New York area.
Funny you mention this. I have never ordered from them and just a couple of days ago got an email advertisement from them. I promptly unsubscribed. Have others recently started getting email advertisements from them?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Funny you mention this. I have never ordered from them and just a couple of days ago got an email advertisement from them. I promptly unsubscribed. Have others recently started getting email advertisements from them?
Yes, but unsubscribing worked for me, although I have purchased from them and bought something from them a couple weeks ago that nobody else had. BUT, after ordering that part, it was back-ordered until February!!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Crankster

I'm thankful there are companies that exist to help us with the hobby. Their catalogs are good to see a lot of parts aggregated into one place. They get their wares from all over and different suppliers, also some NOS. Prices aren't too out of line, but shop around.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
'Shipping' is not the problem at Macs.
The free shipping is to help you overcome all their other failings, ... I usually just pay the shipping from someplace else and avoid the issues.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
slammin

A friend gave me Macs current catalog. I thanked him, but after reading complaints about Macs, I wouldn't consider ordering from them. Suddenly I was receiving their daily emails. I unsubscribed. I've had very good luck with Brattons and Berts. Berts being in Denver, I can get one day service when I order.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Growley bear

Four years ago I said that I would NEVER do business with Mac's. Then, less than a week ago I found a new horn rod on E-bay, from Mac's with free shipping and less $$$ than the rest of the suppliers that I checked. The part came very well packaged in a robust shipping tube and in perfect condition. Looks like I'll be eating CROW for lunch; never say never.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

If you are on the West Coast you will get your parts faster from Arizona Model A. No catalog, no online ordering. He has the same parts as all the other guys. Just pick up the phone and talk to him. No credit card or PayPal. He ships it to you with an invoice and you send him a check.
You can use either Snyder's or Bratton's part numbers, but they are not necessary.
https://www.superpages.com/bp/chandl...0017506664.htm
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 11-15-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

Growley bear -
One tree does not make a forest.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #15
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Growley bear -
One tree does not make a forest.
Marshall
??????????????????????????????????????????
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #16
Marshall V. Daut

One positive experience does not cancel out a forest full of negative ones. You might have gotten lucky with that sole order. Model A AND T websites are full of negative postings about Mac's experiences. I have seen same on the early V-8 forum, too. My comment to you was just trying to save you from prematurely eating that crow until you have a few more positive experiences with Mac's under your belt. Nothing deeper intended than that.
Marshall
Old 11-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
Tom F OHIO

I ordered about 8 different parts from them this past summer. I received the package a lot quicker than expected, very well packaged and I received everything that I ordered. Best catalog in the business.
Tom....
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #18
canadian
BANNED

I am a first time customer of Macs, don't know much about the past service but on Nov 11, I placed a substantial order with this company. tracking this morning its in transit through Fedex and will arrive in Newfoundland ,Canada on or before Nov 23. Order was complete , no back order crap, shipping was reasonable . have to wait and see what the box contains.
canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #19
Marshall V. Daut

O.K. TWO trees.
M.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #20
canadian
BANNED

just a update as promised . received my order of parts from MACS/ECKLERS. order was taken Nov 11 and received on nov 22. all parts 6 in total were exactly what I ordered , quality was excellent no issues. all part numbers had a MACS original item number and a Ecklers item number. ONE TREE STILL STANDING, and I know I may get blocked after I make this comment but... Most if not all Canadian Comments on this site are only laughed at anyway ...
Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #21
Marshall V. Daut

"Most if not all Canadian Comments on this site are only laughed at anyway ..."

Not true at all. In Model A terms, there are so many deviations from USA production and oddities seen only on Canadian-built Model A's that it upsets our pat little world of memorized facts, figures and FoMoCo consistencies. "Don't confuse me with the facts! My mind is made up!" Sometimes it seems that Canadian Model A's are a whole 'nother animal that we have to learn about all over again! Because the vast majority of Model A's were built for USA consumption - and that's what most of us own these days - comments and replies to posted questions tend to consider those Model A's first, secondarily non-USA production. If Canadian and other foreign-produced Model A's seem to take a backseat with this particular website crowd, it's a numbers thing, not a personal slight or international thing.

In terms of international "things", I doubt that in the history of the world, any two countries in such close proximity to each other have had a better relationship than between Canada and the USA, with the possible exception of some touchy incidents during colonial times and the early 1800's when BOTH countries' feathers got ruffled over mice nuts incidents, e.g., the 1850 "Pig War". The rest of the perennially at-war-with-your-neighbor world must marvel over the continued close ties our two countries have shared for a couple hundred years now - and counting. Our relations with that other country south of us should be so good!!!
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 11-22-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #22
canadian
BANNED

Marshall I appreciate your kind comments and always pay heed to your advice to posts on the Barn. Cheers ...
Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #23
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Many Companies have "turned around" by adding the right Management team that does care for the Customer and read the complaints..

They must have read Marshall's comments..
Old 11-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #24
Ted Duke

I get sick of the MAC's bashing. It has all been said several times. If you don't like them don't order from them. I have had good orders from them and from others.

No, I don't own stock in them or any other Model A vendor. Some of you guys just won't quit. None of the vendors is perfect and none of their products are perfect.

Others have been warned. No need to keep picking on MAC's.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #25
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
I get sick of the MAC's bashing. It has all been said several times. If you don't like them don't order from them. I have had good orders from them and from others.

No, I don't own stock in them or any other Model A vendor. Some of you guys just won't quit. None of the vendors is perfect and none of their products are perfect.

Others have been warned. No need to keep picking on MAC's.

Happy Thanksgiving.
X2

There must be at least one "bash MACs" thread here monthly. It gets old.

As Ted says, if you don't like MACs (or any other supplier) because of actual experience or because of what others say, or for any or no reason...don't use them.

I've ordered several times from MACs and never had a problem. Good quality...fast delivery. I've ordered from some of the suppliers that are highly revered here on the Barn and have been disappointed with out of stocks, items billed but not included, wrong items, poor fit and quality, etc. In all cases, the mistakes have been corrected and I'll continue to order from them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that MACs has had many items for our cars reproduced which are sold by most of the other vendors. It's funny when I hear that MAC's quality is bad and vendor A's is great when they are exactly the same part. How often have you received parts from vendor A with MACs labeling? The Model A parts market is too small for every supplier to be designing, sourcing and manufacturing their own "flavor" of every part (some limited exceptions, of course).

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 11-23-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #26
Bill Goddard

I agree. I've been ordering from Macs for years and have never had a problem. Bratton's and Snyder's are great too.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #27
Oldbluoval

"There must be at least one "bash MACs" thread here monthly. It gets old."

X10!

Can't we knock it off on Mac's? If someone wants to know about Mac's why don't they do a search?
If there's something different than what's been posted then bring it up

Just MHO
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #28
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Most negative comments by us are just an attempt to help others who have experienced results less than acceptable.

Let them voice their opinions. First amendment.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #29
Oldbluoval

Wasn't exactly expecting my post to violate someone's Constitutional rights nor end up with scotus!
The original poster had posted here almost 800 times Does he ever read any or only write?
Everyone can post until Ryan nixes it and I can elect not to read non-pertinent posts which is my normal MO
Just seems to me that the redundancy borders on a definition of Einstein's!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #30
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Most negative comments by us are just an attempt to help others who have experienced results less than acceptable.

Yes, I believe in the first amendment, spent twenty in the USN defending it, but this Mac's bashing is way overdone.

I could make comments on other vendors, but having been in business five years and then a sales rep for 19 years I believe in dealing with the problem instead of trashing someone. Have a problem, work it out with the vendor and then move on.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #31
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post

Because you can...doesn't mean you have to.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #32
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Because you can...doesn't mean you have to.
Spell "advice without prejudice."
Old 11-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #33
oldredford

I never order anything from them. The other vendors are so much better.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #34
Manager

Most of the bashers make the"I never order anything off them" statement so how the stuff do they know they are so bad?Iv'e never had a problem with them.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #35
canadian
BANNED

I have to make a second comment on this post, here in Canada to enjoy this hobby we are limited to vendors stocking parts, George Moir in Alberta has most parts and when ordered they have Synders or Whoevers labels on parts because of course frig all is manufactured here. so my point is I have ordered numerous parts from most all U.S. suppliers, never had a issue that would prevent me from reordering from any of them, the parts/packaging/ costs / that I recently received from MACS was exceptable in every way . maybe next time it won't but thats the same with everything we do in life. I think we should spend our knowledge on keeping this hobby on the road and not by who sells the straightest cotter pin... amen
Old 11-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #36
updraught

Supposedly, some parts are made cheaper but it is a big secret which ones they are.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote