Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Chevmn56

Default New Distributor Body is Sloppy

Hello all, I Just finished the tune up on Clyde (the A) the distributor that was on it has a pretty good crack in the black phanolic right at the stud for the #4 spark plug wire. So i put new points and condenser and plugs and set the points gap to .020 (Nu-Rex) set the timing with the Nu-Rex wrench, which worked slick. I then changed out the distributor cap with the new one from Snyders. When i took the old distributor cap off i had to tug on it to get it off it had a pretty tight fight on the distributor. The new distributor cap has a lot of play, it has a ring machined into the the inside bottom edge that seats against the distributor. I am not sure this much slop is right.......i tried to check the gap between the rotor and the cap studs and it is impossible to get a accurate reading, there is so much slop i can get a correct reading on each stud just by moving the cap around, but when this happens it puts the other studs way close. I called Berts in Denver and was talking to them he pulled both Manufactures cap one foreign and one American made (he actually said the foriegn one was better!!!!!), both had the machined groove and where loose on a distributor he had their, he was kind of lost and didnt have any suggestions on what to do. So have any of you run into this?????? is it a big deal???? some of the gaps are real close almost none existent, im worried they may hit lol......any suggestions??

Thanks Again for all your input!! Pat

Last edited by Chevmn56; 11-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Chevmn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: New Distributor Cap is Sloppy

I don't like a loose body, but the top cap isn't such a big deal.
Years ago I bought a distributor body from Bratton's, and another one from Little Dearborn, and they both had a nice snug fit.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
Chevmn56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I don't like a loose body, but the top cap isn't such a big deal.
Years ago I bought a distributor body from Bratton's, and another one from Little Dearborn, and they both had a nice snug fit.
Thanks Tom...i have to agree with you i actually took the new body off and reused the old.....i don't like the crack in it but i really don't like the body moving around like that......i haven't heard of Dearborns ill give them a call and make sure the bottom isn't machined like the rest.

Thnaks !!!!!

Last edited by Chevmn56; 11-26-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
katy

Maybe you could shim it all the way around w/some plastic from a heavy plastic bag?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
JohnLaVoy

We've looked at the distributor cap problem in the past. The USA made cap has two notches so it can work on various distributors the foreign one only has one notch so it only works on the Model A. The reason the manufacture went off shore to make the cap is because of the material he couldn't get it made in Bakelite here is the US so went off shore. But it is engineered and designed to be an exact replacement. We use them on several cars with out a problem.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
CT Jack

Send it back and explain your problem. If the replacement isn't any better send it back for a refund, then try another supplier. Based on your explanation of the old cap fit I would think your distributor is not an odd ball. If we return parts that are not to proper levels of quality it will keep our suppliers on their toes.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Dick Steinkamp

Model A distributor part names can be confusing.

Most of the Model A suppliers use this terminology.

Distributor housing...

Distributor body...

Distributor cap...

I'm assuming it's actually the distributor body that doesn't fit properly.

I agree with Jack. If the old one fit properly and the new doesn't, it should be returned.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevmn56 View Post
Hello all, I Just finished the tune up on Clyde (the A) the distributor that was on it has a pretty good crack in the black phanolic right at the stud for the #4 spark plug wire. So i put new points and condenser and plugs and set the points gap to .020 (Nu-Rex) set the timing with the Nu-Rex wrench, which worked slick. I then changed out the distributor cap with the new one from Snyders. When i took the old distributor cap off i had to tug on it to get it off it had a pretty tight fight on the distributor. The new distributor cap has a lot of play, it has a ring machined into the the inside bottom edge that seats against the distributor. I am not sure this much slop is right.......i tried to check the gap between the rotor and the cap studs and it is impossible to get a accurate reading, there is so much slop i can get a correct reading on each stud just by moving the cap around, but when this happens it puts the other studs way close. I called Berts in Denver and was talking to them he pulled both Manufactures cap one foreign and one American made (he actually said the foriegn one was better!!!!!), both had the machined groove and where loose on a distributor he had their, he was kind of lost and didnt have any suggestions on what to do. So have any of you run into this?????? is it a big deal???? some of the gaps are real close almost none existent, im worried they may hit lol......any suggestions??

Thanks Again for all your input!! Pat
I think if you call Bert's model a and talk to Steve, he will give you a good explanation. I bought one from him and it fit great. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Chevmn56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Model A distributor part names can be confusing.

Most of the Model A suppliers use this terminology.

Distributor housing...

Distributor body...

Distributor cap...

I'm assuming it's actually the distributor body that doesn't fit properly.

I agree with Jack. If the old one fit properly and the new doesn't, it should be returned.
Yep my stupidity on the model A shows through again.....on just about any other auto makers desription the body and cap are one....even on my 41 Packard and 56 Belair....but im glad you understood any way!!!!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Chevmn56

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
I think if you call Bert's model a and talk to Steve, he will give you a good explanation. I bought one from him and it fit great. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
Thanks Steve i will call Steve at Berts and see what he says....can i post a short video here??? if so ill post a vid of the old cap and no play and the new cap with a lot of play?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
Chevmn56

Thanks for all your replies........Ill call Steve and see what he says. I will also call Snyders and let them know.....I will give them one more shot and then call Brattons like Tom said.

Thanks again