Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Found tonner rear fenders

Well, they came with a titled truck. I had been searching for long running boards, rear fenders and a few more things for my tonner pickup project. This truck was on CL and located on the Olympic Penninsula, which isn't easy to get to. It was listed for more than twice what it was worth, but every two weeks was reduced by 200 bucks. Then about 3 weeks ago my wife and I were enlisted to help her son move to Shelton Wa, on the penninsula. I mentioned we'd be going through Silverdale and we should look at some truck parts I was interested in. In the CL photos it looked like a total rust bucket covered in moss and leaves under a maple tree since 1971. Upon scraping off moss and leaves, it was surprisingly solid in the areas that concerned me. I made a low offer since the 3 nephews that owned it hadn't had much action on CL and it was mine. Took a marathon run two weeks ago that involved 4 ferry crossings, first ferry off Orcas at 6:45, home on the 8:48 that night. 40 minutes at the car wash on the way home and an hour the next day with a cup brush and it doesn't look so depressing. Tweakers stole the radiator a couple years ago but everything else there. 59ab stuck. All in all I'm pretty excited about it. The nephews in their 60s had lots of stories about Uncle Oscar and his farm. Maybe it isn't just a parts truck..... It IS on ice til I finish my truck based woodie. Well maybe just a few things.... Happy New Year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green streak.jpg (57.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg apple pics 557.jpg (96.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg tonner pu cleaned up 022.jpg (69.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg tonner pu cleaned up 023.jpg (77.2 KB, 166 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Mike in Mass

Default Re: Found tonner rear fenders

That's Great. Hope you keep it. Heck it all ready has a good story !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
38 coupe

How did the truck magically grow a tail gate on the way home? Those are as hard to find as good rear fenders.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
GB SISSON

It was there all along. This morning the 59ab was stuck and the truck was still on my trailer. ATF and acetone, soaked 4 hours. Looking in plug holes everything looked clean. Rolled it off the trailer, towed it around with my skidsteer in 4th gear and suddenly the pistons started pumping 2 quarts of penetrant all over the engine compartment. Hooked up a 12 v battery. Thumb test showed decent compression all cyls but #3 . Tapped on a valve and ping! It snapped shut. Excellent compression from then on. Changed oil to some 15- 40 Delo, found a 12 v coil and a resistor. Had to sand the points because no spark and switch out carb because throttle shaft was stuck hard. Pumped fuel from a pump oil can into a fuel hose....3 or 4 revolutions and boom! ran real nice but it was getting dark and when I was cleaning up I found #1 plug wire was sitting on the head. Gonna be nice on 8 cyls.....I have a couple of good radiators so I'll hook one up next weekend. It should drive but no brakes. I know how to navigate my ten acres without them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4door, oscar runs and wb boards 041.jpg (83.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 4door, oscar runs and wb boards 044.jpg (40.3 KB, 82 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
RalphM

That is sweet! Good to see another flathead raised from the dead. That's a good looking truck as well.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Mart

Wa-Hey!

It's great that you have it running already.

It's a sweet find.

You're lucky to have plenty of room. It's one of the factors that severely limits my activity here. (That said, I do alright).

Keep posting when you do something else on it, even if it is on the backburner.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
SofaKing

Nice score!
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
GB SISSON

"Pride goeth before a fall". This afternoon I put a radiator in it and filled it with water. It fired right up and nothing was leaking. Suddenly there was a spout of tan pudding spewing from the triangular breather at the front corner of the pan. From the volume of water I'm thinking both pan rails were split from a freeze. One of the 3 nephews selling it mentioned he thought it had a cracked block, but I shrugged it off because lots of flatheads are running around with a crack or two. There was another verse about not "Storing up treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy". I always thought that meant we should move to a dry climate like Montana, but then again they have some hard freezes there. Still a nice truck and I have some good rebuildable v8s here. When I cleaned the cab out I saw this heater. I think it actually burns gasoline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4door, oscar runs and wb boards 028.jpg (53.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
RalphM

Too bad on the block, yep that's a Southwind, I think you can still get parts for them, but the idea of burning gas to heat instead of coolant doesn't thrill me.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Cody_1948

Sweeet truck sir, I'd drive the day lights out of it
Cody_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
mhsprecher

Looks great and better story! Too bad about the engine. Oh, well, our purchases always have something.

I have been to Orcas Island (a beautiful place) and know where the Olympic Peninsula is, so I know what you mean about it being tough to get to from where you are. Your wife is saintly to go along with another purchase, but what is one more truck among friends.

What did you do about the steering wheel lock? I lost where that thread ended up.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
GB SISSON

I drilled out the soft bolt holding the lock cyl and pried up on the locking mechanism. Took some tricks. It has a beautiful steering wheel, like showroom new! After today's disaster I changed out the oil and drove it down to my lower lot for storage with no water in it. Went through all 4 gears and reverse, then shut 'er down. Still a rather fun exercise and I got to test all the ancillary components.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Been driving it around the place. Still bad cracked block but I have other engines. It's a great truck even with it's problems. And since it's really cold out I can run it a while without cooling water. There is a huge place in my old heart for one ton pickups....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg second day of new year 087.jpg (81.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg second day of new year 083.jpg (64.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg second day of new year 069.jpg (90.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg second day of new year 070.jpg (58.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #14
corvette8n

Won't get very far with that gas tank lol.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #15
Mart

Love it.

Like the little temporary tank and the "Uncle George" on the door.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #16
GB SISSON

Says Uncle Oscar on the other door. Story from nephew was it was bought by Uncle Oscar, but since he had a hunched back his brother George always did the driving. Neither ever married and the two bachelor brothers ran the farm near Silverdale into their 90s. I get carried away sometimes with my yellow junkyard paint pen.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #17
DetroitMotion

I'll have a pair of long Tonner running boards and front fenders available once I am sure I won't need them. Probably a couple weeks from now if anyone is interested. Rough but usable.
DetroitMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #18
milo

Cool find and great story...
Old 01-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
marvin ribbich

I would like to talk to you about your one ton panel and pickup truck. Please call me or send me your phone number. Thanks!! 1-262-392-2989 or [email protected]

Marv.
marvin ribbich is offline   Reply With Quote