Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
montanafordman

Default My Cell Phone / GPS charging solution (under $20 w/pics)

I'm getting ready for the big road trip to Bend, OR with my coupe and worked up my own charging solution for my cell phone and GPS. I did know that USB devices (such as phone and GPS receiver) only actually use 5 volts, and the cigarette adapter steps down the current supplied to the device. After reading this thread https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ne+gps+charger

I decided I would find a power outlet solution to wire up directly to my electrical system ( Important!!WITH THE CORRECT POLARITY! ) I was really happy with how it turned out, and it cost me less than $20 and does a great job charging my cell phone.

The biggest thing you have to remember, is to have the correct polarity in the proper place for your power outlet. Meaning the red wire (the hot wire for the center conductor) will go to ground if you have a positive ground system. The black wire, the circular conductor, or outside one will connect to your junction box, or negative side of the battery (wherever you decide to hook it up). Whatever device you plug in will probably die a horrible death if you have your wires crossed.

My biggest fear finding a power outlet is that most are designed for a traditional negative ground system - because of this usually there is no insulating material on the outside of the receptacle because it wants to ground the outside (or circular) portion of the contact with the vehicle chassis. Leaving that exposed with an accidental bump where it could touch your chassis would introduce a short. The perfect solution I found was an all weather power outlet I bought at Autozone. They are also available at amazon and other vendors. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Automotiv.../dp/B000IG205O

The cover says 12V power outlet but I just removed the cardboard adhesive label. The nice thing about this outlet is that its well insulated and has a spring loaded cover which is further protection against accidental shorts. I also used an in-line glass fuse holder (on the negative, or "hot" side in my positive ground scenario) and installed a 2A fuse.

When I was figuring out where / how to place it, or mount it (drilling was out of the question) I was pleased to find out that the mounting plate has a gap lengthwise along the top. The idea hit me to use a rubber steering wheel clamp insert and a hose clamp and attach it upside down to the steering column right behind the gas tank / column clamp. This hides it pretty well and provides a solid unmoving mount that requires no drilling and can be removed quickly without leaving any marks. I then wired my negative wire to the terminal box, and grounded my positive wire to my firewall speedometer cable clamp screw. I also had some black cloth wire loom that helps make the install even more stealth and professional looking. A person could even paint the hose clamp to make it hide even more. Here are some pics of the final result...

Here it is with my cell phone charger plugged in. You can see the light is on showing it has power. I also have a USB aux plug in on the charger so I can charge my cell phone and GPS simultaneously.

This was a pretty easy and cheap solution for our modern "needs" and the cost was less than $20 and about an hour of my time. I have tested it on my cell phone and it works great!

-Aaron

Last edited by montanafordman; 08-31-2013 at 04:01 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
ctlikon0712

Default Re: My Cell Phone / GPS charging solution (under $20 w/pics)

Nice research and a good job documenting and posting the how to.
Thanks.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
QGolden

Very nice little tech article. Thank you for sharing it.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
KGBnut

Nice and tidy job.

Just be sure that your charger will work properly with 6 volt. They usually have a variable input, but it is usually something like 12-24 volts. Some of those little electronic voltage regulators get confused if asked to step down less that about 3 volts. I had to test a few before I found one that worked properly.

Just get an old USB cable, cut and strip the wires and put it on a volt meter and drive around. Thankfully, most have the standard red-positive, black-negative wires inside. You are looking for about 5.2 volts.

My Model A at speed puts out about 8 volts. One of the first ones I tried didn't like that and my MP3 player got HOT.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Jim/GA

I like it! The best solution I have see yet.

I will be putting one in my Dad's car for him.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Most excellent!

2 thumbs up.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

very nice!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
TinCup

I am having to rethink my recommendations to do this. I had an older usb adapter that worked with this setup. It was lost and when I tried to use a newer unit I purchased it would not work. Works fine in a 12V setup but not in a 6V scenario. If you find one that works spread the word. My older GPS charger works but my newer Iphone charger does not.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Pilotdave

I tried this setup and found that it was very easy to create a short (thank goodness for fuses) when inserting my cellphone charging plug. I haven't found a good way to ensure that it won't happen again.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote