Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
bbrust

Default 1938 Deluxe/39 Standard Inner Fender Installation

I'm looking for a picture of where/how the inner fenders are bolted to the frame of a 38 Deluxe/39 Standard. I've had this 39 Sedan delivery for 20 years and I'm finally starting to put it together.
Thanks, Bob
Old 08-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1938 Deluxe/39 Standard Inner Fender Installation

One bolt at the lower - rear corner. This will be a horizontal insertion.
Also, if you have authentic inner panels, there is a 90° tab near the lower - front. This will be a vertical insertion. The tab sits atop the frame.
As I recall, one of the two holes that are on either side of the brake hose bracket utilizes a 5/16" bolt inserted in to (horizontal) caged nut on the inside of the frame. Look at your frame to see if either of the holes have this (caged nut) feature. Sometime during production, that caged nut was eliminated.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
bbrust

Thanks Kube. On the cowl, there are two horizontal cage bolts. I bolted the fender to the rear hole but I don't see a use for the forward hole. If I bolt the lower rear corner as you stated and then mount the fender to the inner fender and cowl, the bottom of the doors will open into the fender. I think I have a few alignment problems. between the body and frame.

The inner fenders came off of the original fenders but the outer fenders are NOS that I bought many years ago and match the originals.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrust View Post
Thanks Kube. On the cowl, there are two horizontal cage bolts. I bolted the fender to the rear hole but I don't see a use for the forward hole. If I bolt the lower rear corner as you stated and then mount the fender to the inner fender and cowl, the bottom of the doors will open into the fender. I think I have a few alignment problems. between the body and frame.

The inner fenders came off of the original fenders but the outer fenders are NOS that I bought many years ago and match the originals.
Gosh, My old memory may not be as good as it needs to be. If I am correct in understanding your post, the forward hole supports the inner fender brace.
I've attached a photo that I am hoping will match what you have.
Perhaps with this, you and I can narrow down exactly our mutual understanding and get this fixed for ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8595.jpg (86.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #5
bbrust

Thanks again Kube. Your photo does match. My car came in pieces and I think I've found the inner fender brace. I'll try to get it aligned today. Do you happen to have a picture of the inner fender mounted to the frame without the fender? I also want to mention that the previous owner has installed a sb chevy and modified suspension. Howver, the frame and cowl are stock.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrust View Post
Thanks again Kube. Your photo does match. My car came in pieces and I think I've found the inner fender brace. I'll try to get it aligned today. Do you happen to have a picture of the inner fender mounted to the frame without the fender? I also want to mention that the previous owner has installed a sb chevy and modified suspension. Howver, the frame and cowl are stock.
Unfortunately, I do not have the photo you desire. I mount the inner fender to the fender and that assembly to the body / frame.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
bbrust

Thanks again. That would be the procedure that I would usually use but I need to correct alignment issues first. By the way, the sb chevy was long gone when I bought the car. The steering column was notched out for the exhaust manifold and the rear suspension was sort of converted to parallel leafs with one bolt on each end. A perfect example of unsafe at any speed.