Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Bruce

Default Emma balked at having her whitewalls scrubbed.

A month ago I installed new wheel bearings and cones and Flathead Ted's Brake Floaters in our Roadster. It was not a tough job and I like the way she (Emma) responded to the attention. She stops great. We had about 250 miles of trouble-free fun with the Ted's-equipped brakes.
However, I did not like what the sloppy brake MEchanic did to the car's whitewall tires. They were smudged and finger-printed with grease (the good, red stuff). So a week ago I PUSHED the car out of the garage and sprayed the tires with Harley Davidson whitewall cleaner. Then I scrubbed 'em clean with one of Jan's nylon dish scrubbers and rinsed them thouroghly. And I pushed the car back into the garage. Good job done.
Four days later I ATTEMPTED to push the car out -- something I usually do so as not to bump doors in the closely-packed Model A shrine that is our garage.
Emma would not move.
I checked to make sure the pb was off and that the trans was in neutral. Both were in the "let's go" position. But the car was anchored in place in the garage.
I concluded that those New Zealand parts had somehow gotten cocked or unsprung or jammed. Or I had tightened an axle nut too tightly and had ruined the new bearings.
Darn!
So I took off a wheel and drum. I disassembled the brakes, inspected the pieces, and put it all back together. The wheel spun nicely. Pulled the jack stands out and dropped the jack.
The car was transfixed AGAIN!
So I did the exercise once more. (I'm getting pretty good with the Floater installation). Dropped the car down again and it still wouldn't budge.
So, logically, I assumed it must be the driver's side wheel. Same exercise. Same result.
I quit for the night.
Saturday morning I woke up thinking about those little pills in the brake operating wedges. Maybe they were jammed sideways. After a cup of coffee I took a brake apart for the FIFTH time.
Pills were fine.
(I know that this is getting long, but it is a true story and you might save yourself a lot of work by hearing me out).
Car still wouldn't be pushed.
So, in disgust, I started it up and tried rocking it with the clutch. Forward. Back. Forward.
Nope. Some invisable force had Emma in irons. She wouldn't -- couldn't -- leave the garage.
So I did what any disallusioned Ford guy would do. I reved up the engine and dumped the clutch.
BAM!
And she rolled back as pretty as you please. Not even a hint of hesitation. I applied the brakes and she stopped. So I took a little test run.
Perfect. (I apologize, Ted, for blaming the Kiwi's.)
You've probably guessed that the whitewall cleaner and rinse had glued the brake shoes to the drums. Nasty, quick acting corrosion.
And you might be right.
But I'm not sure ... and Emma's not saying.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Emma balked at having her whitewalls scrubbed.

Maybe not! If you jacked it up and checked and the wheel then spun ok, and then it wouldn't budge after you let it off the jack it wasn't the cleaner residue. I am scratching my head tho. Maybe a rod hanging up or an internal part not fully releasing would be more plausible.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
V4F

i use SOS pads with the soap . does a great job .
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Phred

That's the trouble with those whitewalls, they can be the cause of all kinds of trouble. Hansel has blackwalls, never had any problems with the brakes!
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
charlesea

I use a n item called "Awesome" available at Dollar General or Dollar Tree. $1.00 a spray bottle. The white wall really shines. I use sparingly & rinse off immedately.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

"AWESOME" is truly amazing ! ! ! On anything. JMO

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Ponder this: Wonder how many WEIRD brake noises, either drum or disc, were caused by severe wheel/tire cleaners?? Bill W.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Chris in WNC

SOS pads worked best when we had whitewalls on our '37 Plymouth.

"Emma" is actually giving you this message: "I want blackwall tires, please"
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Ron Lowe

I've been using Harley Davidson cleaner for years and never a problem on my A or my bike. Other than the fact it's the best I've used it's also very friendly on the paint,chrome and anything else. I just don't think that was the problem. Sounds more like a mechanical problem. Remember the best place to have a problem is in your garage.
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote