Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
freak

Default I think Mr. Ford is leaving us...

Henry Ford died today in 1947. The day after Easter.

For those of you interested in his private life here is a short (87 pages) interview of his maid and butler.

http://cdm15889.contentdm.oclc.org/c...id/3542/rec/18
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Mikeinnj

Default Re: I think Mr. Ford is leaving us...

Ford was quite an innovator and business man.

Unfortunately he is remembered as a louse of a father and a failure at being a parent and guilty of unethical treatment of his employees.

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 04-07-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

How can you say that? He was the first to offer $5.00 a day and housing for his employees?

Examples of "unethical treatment" please..

Larry Jenkins
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
my1930coupe

I watched a documentary that really soured me on Henry Ford. For example he would send his men into the homes of the five dollar a day earners to make sure they where living the way Henry expected them too. No drinking, house work done. Keeping of certain company, bed time etc..IMHO a real ass.. He was also a Nazi sympathizer..
my1930coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Russell in Tulsa

I don't look up to an adulterer either.

However what an innovator. Did quite well for himself and others, eh?
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
rscardina

I know that he hated the Jewish. He also hired a gang of thugs packing guns to monitor the factory workers. If the employees were happy with there working conditions and pay, why did they fight so hard to bring in the union? It was common for very difficult working conditions throughout the industry. There are a couple of good documentaries on Netflix. Just search Henry Ford for one them. The other one is The Men Who Built America. It is not so much about Ford. It is still very good.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
rogerkb1936

in the context of the times, i believe he thought he was doing the right thing. there were company nurses on the job, the plant was kept clean. and he likely thought he was helping the employees by "guiding" them to an uplifting life. but that wouldn't work well today, would it?
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
my1930coupe

Yes they are. A real eye opener..
my1930coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
mhsprecher

I am finishing up the book about Ford Motor Company, Wheels for the World. It is a great read. He had many of the bad qualities listed above and many very good ones. I actually think a little better of him after reading this. He was an anti-Semite for sure, but he offered jobs to Arabs and African Americans when few others would. He introduced the five dollar day, but not everyone got that amount. He had thugs run the place under the odious Harry Bennett and did treat his only son poorly. He was a utopian thinker in many ways.

People are not all good nor all bad, but a mixture. We live in a world that wants heroes, but are quick to jump on someone for one transgression.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Thanks Guys.. It's always nice to know "The rest of the Story.."

In the end I still think he was a pretty good inventor and provider of low-cost transportation back in the day..

Larry Jenkins
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
ericr

thanks for the post, which I found fascinating. it sounded like the help preferred him to her.

one thing I did not see discussed, unless I missed it, is how much security was around him. my understanding was that he was very security-conscious, especially after the various kidnappings that were national news in the early '30s. I have to believe the estate was well-guarded and perhaps not so subtly.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Thanks Guys.. It's always nice to know "The rest of the Story.."

In the end I still think he was a pretty good inventor and provider of low-cost transportation back in the day..

Larry Jenkins
I agree. And, how many, worldwide, was he responsible for employing. and making millions mobile.
So, MAYBE he had more 'warts /foibles' than some. But, here we are all talking about HIM. How many do you think will write about us....good/bad or ugly ? He was exceptional, warts and all
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #13
Bill Underwood

Two things:

"I did what I did at the time and when I knew better I did better"
Loosely quoted .....Angelou

"Let him among us cast the first stone"
Jesus

Not equivocating but two good thoughts!

Ford was not a great guy but who of us is? He did a lot of good for his workers albeit much of the above is chronicled and likely close to true. He revolutionized automaking and industrialization.
Let's just call it what it is?
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

don't forget Henry's famous quote

" it's all nuts and bolts"
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #15
mhsprecher

He was concerned about security as he was good friends with Charles Lindberg and the kidnapping of the Lindberg child was big news back then. As to being a Nazi sympathizer, I don't think that was the case, but he was an isolationist and pacifist and against involvement by the U.S. in both the first and second world wars. He also resisted having Ford produce war materiel, although, as is well known, did produce military supplies during both conflicts.

Alfred P. Sloan, of GM, was also an isolationist, but William Knudsen, who worked for Ford and later ran Chevrolet, joined the government to gear up production prior to our entry into WWII.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #16
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
don't forget Henry's famous quote

" it's all nuts and bolts"
And that other great quote -

"History is bunk"

From a man who slept in his childhood home in this childhood bed and assembled/recreated/preserved much of what had passed during his life and times.

Still, where would we be had he not been?

More on the "history is bunk" quote at http://www.science20.com/chatter_box...ory_bunk-79505

Joe K
Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

who ever can find and provide documentation of where Henry said "it's all nuts and bolts" wins a Mitch's auto t- shirt
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Underwood View Post

"Let him among us cast the first stone"
Jesus
And as a stone wizzed past His head, he looked around to see who threw it. His gaze stopped on a woman and he said, "AH geez Mom".
Old 04-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

Just one humble opinion of a remarkable individual who gave us much.

If one tries to concentrate on life in general, one can begin to decipher & experience the difference between the World's human "hate" & "envy", even going on today as mentioned further below.

Just as described by those scholars who wrote dictionaries, (which include the basic same meanings in all languages), one sees that:

1. Hate basically only means we want to have nothing to do with a person or thing; & is really not too harmful ........... like if one hates anchovies.

2. On the other hand, envy is a feeling of ill will towards someone because of his possessions, wanting to hurt, & having a strong desire for the something belonging to another.

If one ever experiences honestly climbing the corporate ladder, or meritoriously climbs in any sort of rank, anywhere, one easily experiences the enormous difference between 1. & 2. above.

During prohibition, & even today, there is not too much difference between the greed of the Unions & the Mafia; & if one had a thriving business during the lawless prohibition era & was not armed like Ford, one was in big trouble.

I met and greatly admired an elderly retired couple while living in Detroit in 1966 .... he assembled Model A differentials & retired from Ford Motor Co. ...... both he & his wife discussed Ford at length, & both adored Henry Ford.

After visiting the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, I placed more credence in this couple's description of Ford than the envious guys & organizations who tried to destroy him.

After Ford climbed the corporate ladder, to maintain his mental peace, he later learned another method to handle critics; i.e., just turn people "OFF".

Not much different today. Punish the rich with taxes, they do not deserve what they earned. And with over 50% believing this, they fell for the comment that they did not earn what they have, the Government gave it to them.

History in my opinion is really the "Present", just occurring at a different time.

Maybe funny ............ but not that funny.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-08-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #20
Ron/IA

Below is part of an article I wrote for our club's newsletter. It came from a book written about Henry Ford by an author whose name I am forgetting. It gave me a more realistic interpretation of Henry's real thoughts about wages.

[B]One chapter that first caught my eye is titled – “Wages”. It is interesting to me that Chapter VIII was titled with only one word, but as we know of Henry’s thoughts on wages; one word is more than enough description.
In 1923, Ford was paying $6/hr. Of course we know that he was the first manufacturer to offer $5/hr. in 1914, and for good reason. Model T production began its meteoric climb in 1913; more than doubling production of 1912 (68,773 to 170,211). This meant he needed more workers, and he wanted them to be the best in skills (or at least that was what most people think-more on this below). (Note – I think 1912 was the time Henry stated in a newspaper interview – “You can have any color you want as long as it’s black!”)
In actuality, it wasn’t high production, or paying workers enough money so they too could buy automobiles; it was the high rate of turnover. At the time, workers earned about $2.25/day, for which they worked 9 hour shifts. That was actually good money for those days, but the work pace was too much for many workers, and they would simple walk off the job. The line production would be disrupted, and a replacement would have to be found and trained; this was costing Ford a lot of money. To give you another perspective of the turnover rate; in 1913, Ford hired more than 52,000 men that year just to keep a workforce of 14,000. By offering a wage that more than doubled what workers of the day were earning; Ford dramatically lowered the turnover, and it now was actually costing him less money to produce a Model T.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote