Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #21
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Model B Engine

Here's a pinned B block,one crack frozen by the sleeve..he put close to ten pins in this one combustion chamber..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
Railcarmover
BANNED

Whats funny is those who criticize one without seeing the flaws in the other..High compression head on a model a engine with a counterweighted crank and insert bearings..a nice set up,no doubt till you use the stock A distributor that most use with this combination...With increased compression centrifugal timing advance is critical,you cant adjust the advance lever correctly to over come the damage capable with increased compression...couple that with hard insert bearings and not only will you lose a center main but kiss that 15 hundred dollar crank goodbye too..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
Hotrodfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Do you see anything unusual about this engine?
I see a diamond...

I have a pressurised diamond A in the Tourer, and diamond B's in the Fodor and Coupe. I've had one B engine cracked from the bore right through the port into the valve chest - but seen the same in a friend's A engine as well - cracked clean through the middle.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #24
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
The only advantage is the pressurized oil gallery and larger crank journals,big advantages if you build for speed.With the OHV the valve chambers are not subject to the heat and cooling cycles present in the flathead thus the cracking failures are eliminated.With the OHV higher horsepower potential exists.Getting into the B block cheap and getting enough stuff with it is critical,even then offsetting the cost of the OHV is a steep hill to climb,for 5k you can build an nice model a engine.Right now mine is in the 'potential' stage,till I win the lottery.
'only advantage', is not accurate, although ford thought that the big advantages that you point up, were good also !
My experience is that, yeah I have run into and used repaired cracked B blocks. I have and use perfect B blocks...with their 'advantages' ! I have also run into and given away cracked A blocks. Which ever flavor you like, luckily it is your money/choice to make.

Now, I have also run into guys who have NEVER laid hands onto a B block, but had plenty bad comments to 'parrot', that they had heard...sound familiar
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #25
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post
I’ve got a B block in my car. It’s great. There is a lot of over the top negativity on this thread.
Hey Chippy,
X2 !
How's your weather up there ?
We are right now experiencing the rare appearance of RAIN HERE, THANKS God , over the last 24 hours straight !! And, it is a beautiful fairly constant steady rain, the kind that will soak in forever instead of running the la river up over its' banks ! Thanks for sending it our way...so how much do we owe you ?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #26
Ed Northrop

Thanks for all good information.
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #27
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post
I’ve got a B block in my car. It’s great. There is a lot of over the top negativity on this thread.
Perhaps However having run over 50,000 miles on various A engines with no problems having a B block that develops cracks does make you think a bit.I am however glad that my experience is not universal- Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #28
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Chippy,
X2 !
How's your weather up there ?
We are right now experiencing the rare appearance of RAIN HERE, THANKS God , over the last 24 hours straight !! And, it is a beautiful fairly constant steady rain, the kind that will soak in forever instead of running the la river up over its' banks ! Thanks for sending it our way...so how much do we owe you ?
It’s always green up here but we have sunshine as well as rain.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #29
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Perhaps However having run over 50,000 miles on various A engines with no problems having a B block that develops cracks does make you think a bit.I am however glad that my experience is not universal- Karl
My thoughts are the other way around. I’ve had great service from a B engine but have heard plenty of horror stories about A blocks. The advantages of a good B over a good A win my vote every time. My car is for driving, I’m not trying to outdo Trigger’s Broom’ but accept that my car is not and never will be identical to when it left the factory. That was a very long time ago and it’s proud of its alterations and scars.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:10 AM   #30
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Looks like you have relocated the rear main drain tube. I would love to hear more about that!
I too would like more info on the relocated drain tube.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:30 AM   #31
Dodge

I think a lot more "B" motors made it into the big BB Trucks than into passenger cars
and maybe thats why we see more of them cracked in the valve seat area, yes they are
also thinner there but when you put a heavy load on the truck and run it hard it builds
up a lot of heat.
When I see the motors behind that big 4spd gear box they have more cracks than the
ones that came out of a passenger car.
Anyone else have this expierience?

My 2 cents.....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:08 AM   #32
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I think a lot more "B" motors made it into the big BB Trucks than into passenger cars
and maybe thats why we see more of them cracked in the valve seat area, yes they are
also thinner there but when you put a heavy load on the truck and run it hard it builds
up a lot of heat.
When I see the motors behind that big 4spd gear box they have more cracks than the
ones that came out of a passenger car.
Anyone else have this expierience?

My 2 cents.....
Hey Dodge,
Well, since you ask, I just have to share some thoughts on the subject of A vs B talk.
I'll tell you that I've spoken too two of the most experienced and knowledgeable guys on this forum, about these two ford engines. They , IMO, are both pragmatic people. One only uses B blocks...forever !
The other has , in fact, CUT A and B blocks apart to examine such tales about deck thinness/thickness. Now, this is getting evidence the way it should be gotten, if a guy is to make unequivocal statements regarding such. He told me that he never found factual evidence to support such old wive tale. Now, I realize that the A block is older than the B block, and in theory, a used A should be more rusted out than a similarly used B block.
But, in fact , if both blocks are rusted out how to tell which was thinner when built. New blocks, dissected would help, eh ? Myself, I'm going with the guy who went to the extent of dissecting blocks for his evidence. I also know the added value that ford put into the B over the A.
BTW, this guy also gave much evidence that ford newly made B blocks were used for decades after ford stopped making the A block.
Hey, it's all good, I say run what you can afford to use and believe on.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #33
redmodelt

A blocks crack in the valve seat area too. Seen more then a couple. And in the stud to water jacket.