Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #41
Pete

Default Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

I have a standard answer as to how much I have in the car and I have used it since I first started racing in high school.

Uncouth viewer:"Hi, how much do you have in the car?"
Me: "Everything I make minus 10% to live on."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #42
700rpm

When asked "How much is it worth?" I ask them what they think, then I ask them if they want to buy it. That usually gets a laff. But you shouldn't own or drive a Model A if you're going to be a pissant about it. These cars make people smile, and afford an opportunity to engage folks in a friendly conversation in an increasingly inhospitable society. I don't care about a person's color, age, style, or anything else. If they want to talk about my car I can afford 15 minutes to help them have a nice day. I have never, and I mean never, in over 50 years, had an unpleasant conversation with someone about my car. I would rather they got home and told a story about a pleasant moment in their day than relating a story about an old crank who was rude to them.

And on top of that, being nice to people has led me to some interesting finds and good leads.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #43
BILL WILLIAMSON

I think about the GREAT FRIENDS I've made, that wouldn't have happened, were it NOT FOR THE CAR!!!
Bill W.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #44
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

My father in law always uses a varaition of that line. He loves the attention the car brings and when we go in a store he proudly sits in the car at the store front door. There is hardly a time that he is not asked " had her long "? And he proudly replies " bought her new " ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #45
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I think about the GREAT FRIENDS I've made, that wouldn't have happened, were it NOT FOR THE CAR!!!
Bill W.
X10, Bill.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

Just wear a non-smiling Lois Lerner IRS mask.

But seriously, in my area, it is always young people asking.

Most of what I learned in life was learned by wonderful people taking the time to answer my extremely detailed questions.

I feel very comfortable among younger folks asking all types of questions and I know my efforts to answer are appreciated by them.

If their interruption takes too long, just kindly explain that you are busy .... they always appear to appreciate and respect candid responses.

H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #47
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post
I've driven a lot of Shelby Cobra's around and people rarely looked twice at them. Whenever somebody did, it was to tell me about their '67 Mustang in the garage. With the Model A, it's totally different. Everywhere I go I'm asked questions about it. I get questions from all ages, men, women and children. I happened to be driving near an elementary school yesterday as they were letting out. The wife and i answered a ton of questions from the children. I'm happy to answer them, but I'm normally the type of person who likes to sit in the background and blend in with the wall.

These cars really seem to make people smile, and that's not a bad thing to me.
Good Comment, Diomed. I say to people all the time, "A '65 Mustang might turn a few heads, and lots of folks will say, 'Yeah, I had a Mustang! Or I had a GTO, or I had a Dodge Charger, I had a Grand Torino' ", and YES, THOSE CARS WILL TURN SOME HEADS.
BUT THE MODEL A WILL ALWAYS TURN HEADS!!! most folks today don't know WTH they are. They will call your car a Model T. [Ya gotta keep it down, maybe correct 'em, but don't insult them. They're just curious]. You may be "on stage" for a few minutes, but it's ok. They are enjoying a little piece of what you OWN.
It's ok to share some of your knowledge with the uninformed.
I too am a reserved guy , but have a keen interest in history, and love it when I see that in other people. BE CAREFUL WITH HAND SIGNALS. THEY EITHER THINK YOU'RE WAVING, OR GIVING THEM THE "F" BOMB. Chuck
Old 09-18-2015, 01:16 AM   #48
DougVieyra

I worry about the diminishing numbers of young people who will be needed to be the 'care-takers' of our Model A's as the older of us begin to 'fade away'.

So with that in mind, whenever I have the opportunity, I ask any on-lookers who seem to have an interest, if they have any young people in their family who would like to learn more, and perhaps to go for a ride. This is my version of a 'recruitment' program for future owners. As a former teacher, I feel that an 'inter-active, Living-History' approach lends for better attention by the student, and perhaps plant a seed of interest that will carry on into adulthood.

So I look forward to the opportunity that is presented when I find ". . . people swarming . . . " around my '28 Phaeton .

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #49
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
When asked "How much is it worth?" I ask them what they think, then I ask them if they want to buy it. That usually gets a laff. But you shouldn't own or drive a Model A if you're going to be a pissant about it. These cars make people smile, and afford an opportunity to engage folks in a friendly conversation in an increasingly inhospitable society. I don't care about a person's color, age, style, or anything else. If they want to talk about my car I can afford 15 minutes to help them have a nice day. I have never, and I mean never, in over 50 years, had an unpleasant conversation with someone about my car. I would rather they got home and told a story about a pleasant moment in their day than relating a story about an old crank who was rude to them.

And on top of that, being nice to people has led me to some interesting finds and good leads.

Couldn't agree more!

I ask others about their cars all the time. What can I say?, I like cars.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #50
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Contrary to the posters desire I think a very high percentage of our group encourage lookers, gawkers and swarmers. It is part of who we are in this hobby! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #51
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Just sell it and buy yourself an old Vega, no one will bother you!

Ted
Not if you get home of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 9.27.33 AM.jpg (68.3 KB, 57 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #52
stouchton

I find it amusing that I get more attention at the local gas station than at the car shows!

But last night was absolutely the best. Was at a car show answering the usual questions. A lady walked up with the help of a cane - she looked like she was easily over 100 - she could not talk well, she tried but could not say what she wanted too - she merely pointed at the car and cried. Then with a smile and a whispered "thank you" she left.

That was the absolute best time I had showing off the car.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #53
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
I drive my coupe to deliver Meals-On-Wheels. Those folks really appreciate her and love to reminisce!

Mike in Orygun
Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I have a standard answer as to how much I have in the car and I have used it since I first started racing in high school.

Uncouth viewer:"Hi, how much do you have in the car?"
Me: "Everything I make minus 10% to live on."
Probably a lot closer to the truth back when you started. I know I was pretty close to that, back before I had a family.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #54
Willie Krash

Funny but in Southern Orygun people don't look twice at Model A's. There are a lot of hot rods out here.
OTOH, when I take the Model T out people drive by and take video and snap pictures.

Getting gas is a mob scene. How does it run w/o leaded gas, do you have to use premium.......why are you taking the seat out? They don't make em like that anymore!
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #55
rowens55

Ok, so mine is a 55CV, not an "A" but I LOVE ALL the questions I get wherever I go in Diana. I am with most of you here, it's about the younger gen. I let kids and young adults, (sometimes older dolls as well) sit inside behind the wheel. They have NEVER seen a steering wheel as big mine in a car before! I have had people ask if I took it out of a bus?!? No matter, she's my baby and I love being her caretaker! Ask ALL the questions you want!
Rowen
Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #56
burner31

The Wife and I never seem to have a problem with people coming up to talk about the car, just don't understand it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3232562.jpg (54.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg gangster.jpg (37.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg images (36).jpg (8.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 1931-Shootout-on-Dyckman-Acme-Newspictures1.jpg (61.7 KB, 65 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #57
burner31

Seriously though, I welcome people to talk, touch, ask about the car, I especially encourage the little kids, I ask if they want to sit behind the wheel, which they love, have them grab that big ole steering wheel and pretend they're driving, I like to tell them to push that black button in the middle of it, that smile and big bright eyes are memories they will keep for years to come. They really love that horn.
Hoping it starts a love affair for them, so that they will carry the Model A into the future, after we have gone.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #58
P.S.

I don't mind answering questions about the Model A and even listening to the constant stories about the Model As they used to have. Even though I am an Aspergers Syndrome guy, I just put on the happy face and act happy to do it. I let people get in and take pictures, and I offer rides. Most people are surprised to see a young guy driving a car so old.

What I do NOT like is the frequent approaches from douchebag looking slobs that don't even say "Hi", only saying to me, " What's it worth?" I only respond with, "It's not for sale". No matter how they re-word their question, I just keep reciting " not for sale" and watch them get all mad. I blame this uncivil behavior on the glut of 'reality' TV shows that are all about flipping old cars for profit.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #59
R-Rocks

Sometimes I point to the wife and say its hers. Our 8 year old daughter loves the truck and will carry on about how much she loves it. I run into a old guy whos family had a dealership back in the day, he told me a story how they would run the Model A up to Yellowstone from our location in Utah.

Last edited by R-Rocks; 09-18-2015 at 04:29 PM.
R-Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #60
Jembow

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who lets the wife field the questions. I reckon it gives her a hobby.
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote