Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Bill S

Default Vintage speed

Has Vintage Speed gone out of busness? Their web sight is up but when I called it was come concrete company.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Vintage speed

Try re-dialing 1(772)778-0809.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

I think he owns a asphalt paving co as his main business. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
paul2748

You will be lucky if he answers the phone.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
19Fordy

Do your homework, starting here.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...+vintage+speed
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Deuce Man

I think Turkey season started, and you know the rest. I saw Charlie at a hotrod gathering saturday, Yes he is alive and well! Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Straightpipes

Some people like him, most don't. I'd do a little searching especially over on the HAMB.........
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Wow, life is strange sometimes,eh! I phoned Charlie only once, when I needed Stromberg tools. I left a number , as recording directed. Now, I'm on the left coast and he's way east. In an hour, he'd called me back and within three/four days...I had my tools and small parts..go figure! Guess, I got lucky and feel so, after reading this thread !
BTW- Charlie spent about 15 minutes on the phone answering my questions on how to properly use the carb tools....

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-11-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: ...
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Ken/Alabama

I dealt with him several years ago to rebuild three large logo 97s ,make a stainless fuel line and progressive linkage. I traded in one Stromberg 48 and three 97s and cash . After many phone calls and three months later I got my carbs. I noticed imediatly when I opened the box that they were not the carbs I sent and one of them was missing the idle screws. When I mounted them on the engine the fuel line fit great but it ran straight across the water neck on my 59A. Got that solved then gas poured out of two of the carbs,they had floats with holes in them . After all this I wound up with a nice fuel line I couldnt use and had to rebuild the rebuilt carbs . The linkage worked out very nice though . Never again for me.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

His website looks nice. I've used it several times for various reasons. Had one dealing with him on some 97 throttle shafts that were pure junk. He had originally gotten them from Speedway and told me to deal with them if I had any issues with the parts he sold me. I finally contacted Uncle Max for some of his throttle shafts and some new throttle shaft bushings and all my troubles were over. Some carburetor rebuilders do not replace those bushing when they do a rebuild and one in particular did not even know that one of those two bushings could even be replaced. Uncle Max filled me in on how all of that was done and the 97's, 48's & 81's that I rebuilt turned out beautifully!! Some of the things UM told me about and some of the parts he sent me were his personal trade secrets so I can't mention those. You would have to get your carburetor done by him to get these trade secrets built in PLUS...he sent me a nice T shirt on top of all that!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
uncle max

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
His website looks nice. I've used it several times for various reasons. Had one dealing with him on some 97 throttle shafts that were pure junk. He had originally gotten them from Speedway and told me to deal with them if I had any issues with the parts he sold me. I finally contacted Uncle Max for some of his throttle shafts and some new throttle shaft bushings and all my troubles were over. Some carburetor rebuilders do not replace those bushing when they do a rebuild and one in particular did not even know that one of those two bushings could even be replaced. Uncle Max filled me in on how all of that was done and the 97's, 48's & 81's that I rebuilt turned out beautifully!! Some of the things UM told me about and some of the parts he sent me were his personal trade secrets so I can't mention those. You would have to get your carburetor done by him to get these trade secrets built in PLUS...he sent me a nice T shirt on top of all that!!
And... Your commissions are forthcoming!
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Mike51Merc

I've bought from Charlie several times. He may be hard to get, but he gave me plenty of phone time to walk me through a project, which is more than you'll get at a big-box vendor.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle max View Post
And... Your commissions are forthcoming!
Thanks Max your great help and parts shipments received in three working days or less is all the commission I need. Now if you want to make me a partner in the business and move my entire family of 30, including three young wives, to Salt Lake City, Utah, we can discuss that possibility over some cold liquid refreshments during Speed Week @ Bonneville this August. . Hey, seriously, I am looking forward to meeting up with you in August and maybe also with Clive this September. That would be super for me.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
37 Coupe

Quote:
I didn't get an Uncle Max T-shirt but I got a nice set of SFFAS (Special Fat Finger Adjusting Screws) .
Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
danliveshere

PLUS...he sent me a nice T shirt on top of all that!!

Look what you've done John. Now Uncle Max is gonna have to buy a box of t-shirts!!!
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
Jason in TX

You guys didn't get the T-Shirt?? Well, neither did I.

I did however like the box of Altadis of Spain Behike Cigars, the bottle of The Macallan 1926 scotch and the bag of 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle gold coins that he sent when I bought my stack of 81 rebuild kits.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
john mullen

I have purchased several items from charley and they all were good ..However he was slow to get me the parts. In my buisness its most important to serve my customers asap. Slow shipping takes away from my bottom line and damages customer confidance. I made this clear to him in our last phone conversation. I will use him again but 3 strikes and your out Charley... Johnrods,Lanexa Va
john mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
ford38v8

Quote:
Thanks Max your great help and parts shipments received in three working days or less is all the commission I need. Now if you want to make me a partner in the business and move my entire family of 30, including three young wives, to Salt Lake City, Utah, we can discuss that possibility over some cold liquid refreshments during Speed Week @ Bonneville this August. . Hey, seriously, I am looking forward to meeting up with you in August and maybe also with Clive this September. That would be super for me.
John, Moving your three young wives to Utah? Isn't that like carrying coals to Newcastle?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
jack orchard

placed 3 orders w/vintage speed. 1-2 week delivery. i am happy w/parts and service...jack
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
1952henry

I bought one of Uncle Max's jet wrenches. It is a quality tool!