Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
Forddan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 162
Default ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Hi all

Sorry if it is a naive question , but I couldn't find an answer online.

Anyone knows if ZDDP additive will react with or affect yellow metals ?

Thanks !!
Daniel - Forddan-
Forddan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
noboD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 224
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

You don't need ZDDP so it wouldn't matter.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
updraught
Senior Member
 
updraught's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,233
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Google "ZDDP yellow metals"

Here is one:
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...hydraulic-oils
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Railcarmover
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Applying torque to shafts beared by yellow metals causes wear,Not only yellow metals,all shaft bearing and reciprocal components wear due to this phenomena.Making a planter out your model a is the best way to prevent this wear,owners of open cars have a distinct advantage is this regard,why you could feed your family with a phaeton garden.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
Forddan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 162
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Google "ZDDP yellow metals"

Here is one:
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...hydraulic-oils
Thank you !!! I missed this one or I misread it. Nevertheless on thst link is the answer to my question !!!

Thank you to all and have a great long weekend.

Daniel
Forddan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
duke36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,089
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
Hi all

Sorry if it is a naive question , but I couldn't find an answer online.

Anyone knows if ZDDP additive will react with or affect yellow metals ?

Thanks !!
Daniel - Forddan-
It can, but zinc not necessary in trannies, rear ends and steering gears, etc. Rotella and other motor oils used to be higher in zinc, but it was found to affect catalytic convertors. Some people add the ZDDP to motor oil (not hydraulic oil) in classic cars for the valve train.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Jim Brierley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,012
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Zink is not near as important in engines with steel cams as it is in cast iron cams, our A's have steel cams, and low valve spring pressure. Oil manufacturers do not recommend diesel oil to be used in gasoline engines.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
Forddan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 162
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
It can, but zinc not necessary in trannies, rear ends and steering gears, etc. Rotella and other motor oils used to be higher in zinc, but it was found to affect catalytic convertors. Some people add the ZDDP to motor oil (not hydraulic oil) in classic cars for the valve train.
Duke36, ZDDP will not be a problem to the transmission gears ?

If I use a mixture of 600W oil and STP, the ZDDP will not be a problem ? Also for any yellow metal I could have there ? Mine is a January 29 Tudor and I do not have idea how much is still original in the transmission.
Forddan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
Pete
Senior Member
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wa.
Posts: 3,564
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
Hi all

Sorry if it is a naive question , but I couldn't find an answer online.

Anyone knows if ZDDP additive will react with or affect yellow metals ?

Thanks !!
Daniel - Forddan-
It can in the laboratory. Used in proper quantity, not so you can notice it in any part of a car. It is beneficial in reducing wear in hard metal contact areas such as gears, cams, ball and roller bearings, valve guides and piston rings.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
duke36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,089
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
Duke36, ZDDP will not be a problem to the transmission gears ?

If I use a mixture of 600W oil and STP, the ZDDP will not be a problem ? Also for any yellow metal I could have there ? Mine is a January 29 Tudor and I do not have idea how much is still original in the transmission.
Search other threads. Lot's of discussion about motor oils and gear lubes.
The Porsche club of America did some tests where 356 engines were broken down and measured for valve train components wear with and without zinc rich oils. The zinc rich oils did help some.
Some of the "600 w" oils form the vendors look and feel like today's SAE 140 gear oil and are not always equivalent to the heavy molasses consistency of the 1930' s versions. Penrite and Lubriplate SPO 299 (which I use) offer SAE 250 wt. which I believe is closer to the original and is yellow metal friendly. It takes longer to warm up in the tranny but doesn't foam as much. I prefer no ZDDP or STP in the classics we work on except sometimes some small amounts of zinc added in the motor oil
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #11
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA/USA/EU/RUSSIA
Posts: 821
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
Duke36, ZDDP will not be a problem to the transmission gears ?

If I use a mixture of 600W oil and STP, the ZDDP will not be a problem ? Also for any yellow metal I could have there ? Mine is a January 29 Tudor and I do not have idea how much is still original in the transmission.

How many more times are you going to ask the same question? This is your second thread on the same issue in as many days and numerous people have answered it and provided links for further reading. People have told you what trans oils you can buy that are thicker than 600w as well as being yellow metal safe and where to buy them. What don't you still understand?
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:59 AM   #12
Forddan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 162
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
How many more times are you going to ask the same question? This is your second thread on the same issue in as many days and numerous people have answered it and provided links for further reading. People have told you what trans oils you can buy that are thicker than 600w as well as being yellow metal safe and where to buy them. What don't you still understand?
My question was to Ducke36 and he answered it. Thank you Duck36 !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited by Forddan; 05-25-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Forddan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA/USA/EU/RUSSIA
Posts: 821
Default Re: ZDDP additive reacts with yellow metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
Thank you !!! I missed this one or I misread it. Nevertheless on thst link is the answer to my question !!!

Thank you to all and have a great long weekend.

Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
My question was to Ducke36 and he answered it. Thank you Duck36 !!!

Cheers
Daniel

Yes, you asked Ducke36 the question again after you already had the answer from a link updraught gave you further up. Thanks Ducke36!
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.