Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default Trouble with stoplight switch

I have been replacing stoplight switches over and over again.
People keep telling me my brake lights don't work. If I press on the pedal very hard, the lights DO light up, but normally it does not take that much pressure to stop, so probably most of the time, the lights are not coming on.
Could this be caused by brake shoes un-evenly adjusted, or having the rear shoes way out of adjustment?
Could it be because I am using silicone brake fluid?
Are these replacement switches defective?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
SSsssteamer

Default Re: Trouble with stoplight switch

Even when new in the 50's, the hydraulic brake light switches were only good for about 4 years. About a couple years life if the car isn't a daily driver. In 1963, my 1957 Ford was on its second brake light switch, and the motor hardly ever got cooled off. This is about the worst case scenario. Then one hears about the brake light switch that is still working after 20 years use.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Ole Don

I have changed to a push switch from a Dodge pickup mounted on a home made bracket bolted to the inside of the master cylinder stud. It seems to last about four times longer.
Find a parts seller who will allow you to look at pictures in an old book to find one. I never recorded a part number. The correct way to do this would be to wire brakes lights through a relay, with a third mounted at the top of the back window.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
40cpe

It has been alleged that the silicone fluid is doing it. Some have used a hydraulic switch from a Harley Davidson motorcycle because they are made for silicone.

I, like most others using silicone, have rigged some sort of mount for a mechanical switch.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
tdlmomowers

A mechanical switch would be a good fix. Go to your local NAPA store and ask to look at the Echlin buyers guide. Look at the section for switches with a letter prefix of, SL. These are all stoplight switches. The buyers guide has pictures of each switch. It shouldn't be too hard to make a bracket and mount a switch on the pedal linkage.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
George49Ford

You might look for a low pressure brake light switch. I got one last year on that "E" site. So far, still seems to work fine but hasn't been on very long.
George49Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
estout81
BANNED

I had same trouble with stock brake lite switch on my F-1. I bought a Harley Davidson switch and it has worked great for three years. Takes very little pedal pressure. No mod's required!
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
oldbugger

I have 2 cars that have the dot 5 silicone fluid, had the same problem with both, changed to mechanical switch, end of trouble. good luck. Paul
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Paul H

In their latest catalog,Mac's has a mechanical switch.I put one on my 56 and it works like a charm.Easy install.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Stopped at NAPA after work. He pulled out the Echlin book and all the stoplight switches they had in stock. Any of those I could have used were not in stock. I will reserve NAPA as a last resort
Old 10-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
In their latest catalog,Mac's has a mechanical switch.I put one on my 56 and it works like a charm.Easy install.
Paul, I am slightly familiar with MAC's. Ordered some stuff online once before. Can you give me their part number for the switch so I can look it up on their website???
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
tdlmomowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Stopped at NAPA after work. He pulled out the Echlin book and all the stoplight switches they had in stock. Any of those I could have used were not in stock. I will reserve NAPA as a last resort
Dave, did the counterman at the NAPA store offer to order a switch for you? If their warehouse had it in stock, they could have it the next day.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Dave, I used a normally closed momentary push switch similar to these on e-bay. Made a bracket to mount it near the brake pedal so when the pedal is depressed it moves away from the switch. More than likely have them at Radio Shack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290995447301...84.m1438.l2649
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Paul H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Paul, I am slightly familiar with MAC's. Ordered some stuff online once before. Can you give me their part number for the switch so I can look it up on their website???
Dave..........Here is Macs part number for their mechanical brake light switch.
13480-UNIV
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Daves55Sedan

Y-blockhead, that switch you suggest which has the contacts CLOSE when the pushbutton is released is exactly what I am after. That way, the lights will come on as soon as you begin to push the brake pedal.
Paul, thanks for looking it up. I will look at it on Macs website.
This thing is going to be remedied one way or the other.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #16
JeffB2

Click on this: check out the pictures toward the bottom of the page this is the way I did it also.common GM switch about $5 being able to adjust it so easily is a plus.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...cussionid=8524
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Daves55Sedan

JeffB2 Had to register on HAMB to see what you were trying to show me. Never thought I would go there since it is all hot rodders. Small world, though. I saw a few other folks who frequent fordbarn and fordsix posting on HAMB.
Looks like a great arrangement. ctfortner had a couple of better photos of his installation but its exactly like what you did. I guess I am way behind the times. My car still had its original stoplight switch in it till I converted to silicone fluid. That was back in '92. After that, the old switch only lasted a week. That original switch was much larger than the replacement switches they sell now. I probably won't go that route now but its something to fall back on later.
I ordered the lever action switch PaulH suggested from MACs. I also noticed they sell a "low pressure" switch that is supposed to be silicone fluid compatible. I ordered it also. It replaces the switch on the master cylinder, so I am going to install it and see if it lasts. I will keep the lever action switch on hand if the low press switch fails. Thanks everyone for suggesting so many options.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
JeffB2

I hope you will join our 1952-59 Ford Group many of the folks have stayed stock under the hood so plenty of information to share.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Click on this: check out the pictures toward the bottom of the page this is the way I did it also.common GM switch about $5 being able to adjust it so easily is a plus.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...cussionid=8524
With the bracket there does it not limit the brake pedal travel? I think I would check how close the brake pedal travel stop comes to it with the pedal depressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00733-20100626-0939.jpg (77.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00732-20100626-0939.jpg (95.2 KB, 21 views)

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 12-27-2013 at 07:54 PM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
paul2748

64 was the last year on a Ford for a hydraulic switch. On my 64, I used a mechanical switch like the ones above (Jeff and Master) It works terrific!!! Underside looks just like the earlier cars.

I hooked it up to the accessory pole of the ignition switch. Then you have to splice the other wire into the stop light wire coming off the turn signal switch (the closest wire near the mech. switch). You have to take off the wires on the hydraulic switch because you get feedback, but can use the hydraulic switch as a backup (you have to take the wire off the mechanical switch for the same reason) if the mech. switch goes out..

Works great, and you can adjust it so the slightest movement of the brake pedal turns on the lights.

The downside to this wiring set up is the cars needs to have the key in the accessory or run position for the light to go on.

It can be power wired differently so the lights go on all the time and would prevent the feedback.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote