Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
Super88

Default Staple gun advice

With any luck I will soon be installing a new roof and upholstery kit in my 30 Tudor. I would like to purchase a pneumatic staple gun and looking for some advice, such as crown width, staple length range, staple gauge, etc. Although I'm not working on an unlimited budget, I'm not trying to go cheap either. Over the years I've found a quality tool works better, lasts longer and I'm sure the stapler will come in handy for more than my car project. My understanding is Monel staples are completely rust proof and I would plan on using those.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Staple gun advice

I have BeA and would get either a BeA or Fasco brand, and I would look at 22 gauge 3/8"crown staple capacity.

With that said, if you are doing this as a once or twice-time deal, I would look at purchasing a quality tack hammer instead of a stapler as they are more forgiving for a novice trimmer. For example, you mentioned the roof. If you use staples, you generally must stretch it fully before the staple goes in. With a tack, you pull the material taunt and then install the tack only partially setting it. Then once the material is in place around the entire perimeter, you can either quickly pull the tack and re-stretch the fabric to align before re-tacking, --or you can finish setting the tack if everything is satisfactory (--rarely is it ever the first time!). This is never easy using staples when trying to remove them w/o damaging the fabric, --or trying to set the staples deep enough to hold adequately without tearing thru the fabric with the staple.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
wrndln

I agree with Brent, that is what I did on my special coupe top. The rear top panel on a special coupe has some extreme compound surfaces that are tough to make the top material smooth. Also doing it on a hot sunny day helps the material stretch more easily. Sometimes "pin" tacking (driving the tack in about half way) needs to be done more than once to get the wrinkles and puckers out. Don't cut off any salvage on the top material until you are satisfied with the top installation.

Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Tacoma Bob

If you choose to buy an air tacker for god sake buy a Berry tool. The are designed for removing staples safely without using a damn screw driver. learn how to use it properly before you begin. And beside...............hey kid, you'll put your eye out with that thing.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Synchro909

It's no use me trying to recommend a brand over there but there is one thing I would suggest. Use stainless steel staples, at least for the final pass. ordinary steel ones might be OK for tacking early on but go stainless for the final job.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
It's no use me trying to recommend a brand over there but there is one thing I would suggest. Use stainless steel staples, at least for the final pass. ordinary steel ones might be OK for tacking early on but go stainless for the final job.
Why? How long will steel staples (-or tacks) last in a typical collector car environment?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Why? How long will steel staples (-or tacks) last in a typical collector car environment?
Very seldom used em in my shop.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
My take on this might be a bit different from most. I use my cars LOTS and rusty stains from rusting staples is a bad look.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
Super88

When I mentioned roof I was referring to the anti squeak strips and chicken wire as Marco's article mentioned using staples. The vinyl I intend to use tacks, also per Marco's article, which is often referred to when replacing a roof is mentioned.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote