Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #81
GreenMonster48

Default Re: Younger crowd in the hobby.

I've been into 50's era hot rods since I was 13 or 14 (32 years old now). I remember a bunch of us were riding up to a car show when i was around 14 and there weren't enough seats in one of the cars, so I got volunteered to ride with an older guy with a beautiful blue near-stock 40 Ford coupe. I was ecstatic, but I could tell that the guy was not happy about having to ride with some damn kid. Once he let me in the car, I started talking to him about his car. Though I've never been super mechanically inclined, I've always been able to retain car info and facts and started rattling off facts about flatheads and early Ford stuff. The guy couldn't believe it, and we ended up talking about cars the entire ride up.

There have been a lot of old timers that have always warmed up to me and helped me out with my cars and stuff through out the years. I always went in with the right attitude, asked a lot of questions, and listened instead of talking.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #82
Cecil/WV

I had an experience at the national meet in Hiawassee that I still feel terrible about. We were on a driving tour and were stopped at the Larry Bailey Museum and were getting ready to leave. The car I was following was starting to pull out when a young guy came to me as I was getting in my '40 pickup and complimented me on my truck and then asked me to pull along side his '39 red & black pickup so he could take a picture. Thinking he was part of the tour, I told him that we would need to do it at another stop as we were just pulling out and the car I was following was on the move. I never saw that guy or his truck again. Evidently, he had just stopped to look at all the cars that were there and went his own way. It has bothered me ever since that I didn't take the time for him to get what was a historic moment for him.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #83
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
I think you got the right idea. Reversible changes so it can be driven are a good thing. I'm in my late 30s so I'm in the younger crowd but Ive had mostly great experiences with the people in this hobby (it might help that I think I live in 1944) but I haven't tried to join any clubs, I just love driving these pieces of history and seeing the smiles on peoples faces. I do recall a story where a guy bought a perfectly restored Lincoln Zephyr (the most beautiful car ever) and pulled the 12 and chopped it up. Now that made me sick, ever since then I've had a distaste for "modified" cars. You can't fix it once you do that.
I also frequent the corvette forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/ for my 63 verte. Both hot rodders and NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) guys post over there and arguments about what to do to your car are very infrequent. I've done the some reversible changes on my 63, 4 wheel discs, rack and pinion steering and my latest project swapping out the 4 speed for a new 5 speed. I also have a show car 65 frame I got for a song I'll likely install as my 63 frame is rusty. Occasionally an argument develops about disc vs drum brakes for 63s and 64s sort of like the mechanical vs hydraulic wars over here but very infrequently.

Here arguments that don't convince anyone are an almost daily event. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #84
WBF

If the younger guys don't get involved, then someday all of these beautiful cars will end up in the crusher due to lack of interest. Imagine that, a world without stock equipped antique cars. That sounds like HELL to me! Teach 'em when they are young, and bring 'em up right. Don't be discouraged!
WBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #85
VeryTangled

Hi all,

Cecil, regret is a tough one. If you'd have trusted your thoughts, you woulda stopped that fool leader you were following! (me) I agree with you and still feel a little twinge of pain. I picked up the photo of that fellas really sweet truck. I wonder if there is a way we can figger anything out about returning it to him? It would probably make his day.

MrTexas, that thread about the '36 Woodie and it's list of 23 modifications, then to follow with 'as Henry made it,' well, he was just asking to get blasted by _someone_. That was chum in the water! Personally I dig what he's done, and if he grins when he looks at it then that makes me happy too.

I let a twenty year old take the Phaeton around the Kmart parking lot at the CNM in Auburn last summer. I bet he'll remember that for a while. I've let lots of tots squirm into the front seat and toot the horn. Sometimes I get a sideways look from Dad, but, just maybe, I'm stoking some embers. I remember when all I was allowed to touch were the hub caps of the Model T, ahhh, the smell of Brasso on my fingers the next day. So we all have to start somewhere.

How long has it been since you let someone else get behind the wheel of your cars, everyone? We kinda like to think that only we can handle them, but sheesh, if it's seventy years old, do you not think there have been other wheelmen/women?

I have found it really hard to interest people in what turns me on, old Fords. I put my car at the local community college's auto shop for two days and it hardly got three looks. We've just gotta understand that there is a very small 'market' out there, and anybody, old or young, green or purple, that is excited about it, well, I'll make them welcome.

Just some thoughts.

-VeryTangled/Jeff
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #86
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
I also frequent the corvette forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/ for my 63 verte. Both hot rodders and NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) guys post over there and arguments about what to do to your car are very infrequent. I've done the some reversible changes on my 63, 4 wheel discs, rack and pinion steering and my latest project swapping out the 4 speed for a new 5 speed. I also have a show car 65 frame I got for a song I'll likely install as my 63 frame is rusty. Occasionally an argument develops about disc vs drum brakes for 63s and 64s sort of like the mechanical vs hydraulic wars over here but very infrequently.

Here arguments that don't convince anyone are an almost daily event. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.
I'm not the one to jump on someone for changing things but I prefer stock or at least close to it.My 49 isn't stock but the changes are reversible. My point is once its chopped up its never going back stock. We don't have that many survivors left and to see one made to look like it came from Star Wars is disheartening.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #87
Cecil/WV

Is this young enough?? They all had to get, sit down and blow the horn!!

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 09-02-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: add on
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #88
1949FORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBF View Post
If the younger guys don't get involved, then someday all of these beautiful cars will end up in the crusher due to lack of interest. Imagine that, a world without stock equipped antique cars. That sounds like HELL to me! Teach 'em when they are young, and bring 'em up right. Don't be discouraged!
exactly what im saying!
1949FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #89
cuzncletus

I was always interested in old Fords but never could afford one as they were out of my price range even back in the late 60's and early 70's. When I was 21, people were giving old Mopars away. I bought a 40's model 4 door, hardly an exciting ride, but I've payed more for dinners and hotel rooms than for that car. (I ended up driving it as primary transportation for four years.) One weekend the National Airflow Meet was in town. I arranged to work the late shift so I could go. I polished up the old Plymouth and drove to the meet. Some older gentleman, probably my age now, took the time to notice and compliment me on my car. The simple fact that he had the foresight and took the time to encourage a young man in the hobby paid dividends he probably never dreamed of. Over 40 years later I'm still in love with old cars.

Model T's are virtually dead. Model A's are on life support as a hobby. Logically, we're next. If we don't encourage young people into the hobby, our live's work and investments will turn into valueless hulks taking up valuable space in forgotten garages.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #90
Rich Overton

Well, I hate to admit it but I am 78. I grew up with flatheads. We have all experienced these "memorable" experiences. There's one numb n...ts in every crowd. Move on and search out we other guys. Welcome, welcome welcome! We love to see you enjoying what are now our wonderful memories. Please carry it on. I don't think you'll regret it. My Grandaughter's "boy friend" also 25, just plain ole loves my '48 Merc. conv. Several weeks ago I taught him how to drive it, (stick shift and O.D.) Two weeks ago they and another early twenties couple took it on a 120 mile trip, saw the Hamptons and Montauk Point, stopped for dinner and returned. The joy that they had, the broad grins on their faces when they returned, the stories of people stopping them wanting to look and learn more about our flatties was priceless to me. The old fart that claimed that you don't belong will never feel what I have felt over the past few weeks. My opinion? Screw him, he'll never have or feel any of the joys that we feel. He must be miserable to have to share life with!!!
My best to you!

Rich O.
Rich Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #91
Mike in Mass

next week is the Northeast Street Rod Nationals in Burlington VT . It is a family event . my dad is 72 this year has been going for the last 8 years. started going with my older brother Carl . when my brother Carl passed away (43 yrs young) six years ago we decided we would all go in rememberence of him and what he loved ,old cars , he could fix just about anything . my younger brother bought his 35 5wd,from his wife, on time payments ,didn,t want to see it coming down the road ,without him in it,,, so 5 original kids ,an dad go ,,no husbands ,no wifes ,no kids my brother has two sons, they come too . there into it riding in there dads car an being with there uncles an aunts . its a great show with great people , I,m 48 an hopfully next year i,ll be driving my 39 picup. it would be done by now if he was still around . if you happen to be there ,look us up around the dark green 35 roadster an parked next to the grey 35 5wd Every year more an more younger folks are there, lots of souped up "kit" cars ,but the nice, straight, real Henry steal cars are all around ! mike p
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote