Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
Frank Miller

Default Re: Younger crowd in the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Unfortunately there are a few in the V-8 Club that have a habit of not being friendly to the younger generation. I say a few and there are darn few. The problem is they are the ones that stick out like a sore thumb and happen to be the people that new members come in contact with at meets and other events. This club desperately needs new young blood to take over the helm. Don't let negative comments or attitudes affect your love for old Fords or the V-8 Club. I had this happen to me years ago when I went to my first national meet. It made me more determined than ever to stay in the club and have fun. That was almost 40 years ago and I'm still here and involved. Look at this as a 90/10 situation. 90% are great people and willing to give their time and information to the younger or "newby" member. They know we need new blood. The 10% are the ones who give the club a negative image and are not worth wasting your time or letting them spoil your fun. Focus on the 90% and all will be good.
They just are not friendly to anyone. It is typical of any organization. Thank you for supporting the meet. I'm 53 and I guess I'm in the middle. When I go to one of these meets I meet the best people. Sure there are a few that sour us. I had a bit of a bad experience with one person I thought was a friend. I let it bother me more than I should have. How can 10 great things happen in one day and we let the bad one bother us? So keep showing up and making new friends and if you happen to piss someone off with your existence shoot me a high five in a PM It is all good.

Cecil, it was good to work with your son and grandson. I do not know much about judging but I have to start somewhere so I sign up. As to the cost, well that is what it is. When we did Saratoga we tried our best to keep costs down and give you value for what you paid. This 4 day meet was still cheaper than family day at a Red Sox game. Ok got to fill out my paperwork for Tahoe.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
bart78

I consider myself young I am 34. I grew up with these old cars on both sides of it. The hot rod not street rod from my uncle. And the restorer from my grandfather. The other day we all were talking and my grandfather told me to remember all I can because in a few years I and the guys my age will be the ones left to care for these cars. He knows some things will come out of our shop that are not completely to his likeing but he is always there to give his opinion. He knows he does not have much time left and I think that is why he does what he does now. He is just wanting to make sure they are cared for even though his cars are not cared for much anymore.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #23
Joe AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Heck not gonna lie I have run into more of a 98/2 and its that last 2% that really ruins the fun. But hey it is a hobby. The FordBarn in general has an overwhelming amount of nice people that are more than willing to help.
It's been my experience that there's 2% population group that screw up anything in life. I'm 61 years old, have been into cars and motorcycles my whole life, but only into flathead Fords for about the past ten years. I moved from MN to AZ seven years ago and have had the opportunity to attend a lot of the CA events such as the AMBR and the L.A. Roadster show. I'm seeing a lot of young people at these events and I enjoy their take on the hobby. They usually aren't into stock Fords, but that's O.K. with me. The majority of them appreciate the history of the hot rod culture and build their cars accordingly. I appreciate any old Ford, as long as it's well built, and safe.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
Charlie ny
BANNED

NON ILLEGITMUS CARBORUNDUM.....don't let the bas-ards wear you down...
especially the old farts. I'm 70 and with open arms welcome all regardless of age.
If I knew who that insulting old jerk was I'd kick him in the ass, how's that !!
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #25
danliveshere

35FordTN I bought my 35 roadster when I was 19. I'm now 45, and still have the car. I too had some moments as a young man in my early 20s, I just ignored them. That's great you have bought 6 cars, and use them!!! Good stuff... Keep doing the things you're doing, you will make many good friends along the way and as for the others , well it doesn't matter about them!!! my2c
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
ford38v8

The generation gap is what it is no matter where you go. One's expectations can be self fulfilling if that's what you focus on, so just consider the source and be who you are.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Ford46

Maybe the old grouch was jealous that you had 6 cars there! Seriously, there is always someone that puts a damper on a good time. If 98% are glad to have you around then that should tell you a lot. Thanks for showing up, especially with the cars and friends, it was a great time.....LouB.

Last edited by Ford46; 06-29-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: correcting wording
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #28
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
The generation gap is what it is no matter where you go. One's expectations can be self fulfilling if that's what you focus on, so just consider the source and be who you are.
Right on with that Alan! and of course buying a tired and lonely EFV-8er a hot cup of coffee in the middle of a no where Nevada desert gas station, and telling this person how nice his old Ford looks, is always a good way to make a friend.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #29
mngreen

I'm 53 and many times at old car events I seem to feel "left out" (or downright ignored!) by the older crowd. Over the years I have found that this is sometimes due to the fact that some of those older people tend to frequent the old car events not so much for love of old cars but for meeting up with people in their own peer group. After a while, I was soon able to pick those people out immediately and gravitate away from them (as in not pestering them with technical questions). Another thing that I found is that my frequent presence at meets and meetings makes the OTHER people that ARE interested in the younger crowd seem to seek ME out and commend me accordingly!
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #30
SUHRsc

Wow.... I've had similar reactions to some of my cars and I would guess me being younger driving them... but mine, while being all built from old parts from the flathead era.... aren't "restored" cars.... so I take it with a grain of salt due to that...

Your cars seem like such nice original or restored cars... seems everyone should be tickled that your preserving them for the future....

Like everyone else said though... the other 98% make up for it!

Guess I'll have to find some coffee to get JM35 on my side though!

Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #31
Chris

Like Zach above, I like older hotrods...but all my cars are stock bodied, flat head powered, etc. The V8 club I belong too has been very good to me. I joined in my early 20's (I'm 31 now), and I think most guys thought I would not last...now a lot of em are asking me questions on how things go or where to find a certain part, etc
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
Jason in TX

Someone said above, "Maybe they mistook them for rat rodders.." So what if they are anything...

You have to get into the hobby somehow, and if they are 21 and trying to obtain an old car, don't run them off "because they are rat rodders"

I knew a guy that wanted to build a rat rod. I kept saying, "Old cars are a lot of fun, but why not make it a nice car? Why not paint it? Why not do a good job?" Now he has a very nice car and is glad he didn't cut corners.
If I had said, "Get out of here rat rodder." He probably would have gone off and built a rat rod.

I bet some of these same rude people call themselves "church goers." They teach in church to spread the word to people that don't know it. Same goes for this hobby. If you only talk to people just like you, you aren't making any change in the world. You're only just complaining about the other people doing what you don't like. No one likes a complainer.

If you are likable, people will want to emulate you. If you are a jerk, people will want to do the opposite of you.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #33
bart78

At a local small car show here there was a guy with a fender less a v8. It is all done with old parts and it's a nice old hot rod. There is one old guy here in town that has a few a's and was beating him down about his car not having fenders. Even though the a he drives around town has a 350 with a automatic trans and disk brakes. And it allso has the same old chrome American racing wheels that every one had in the 90's. It did not bother the guy he built his car and the other guys street rod was built by someone else. I have had people tell me this is a guy to talk to about these cars but if he is like this why talk to him.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #34
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
The young fellows that I talk to say that it's just too expensive to play arounbd with old cars. Some just starting out with a starter salary, kids and a mortgage don't have any money for the car hobby.
Most of the car guys are past all the expenses and can aford it.

I spent some time with some guys in thier 20s who were checking out my 35 coupe. Lots of interesting questions such as " why is there two gear shift levers?" or "whats this choke button for?"

I take issue with this one... I see alot of nice cars but together by people on very limited budgets. I also see alot of young guys tooling around in $20k cars..... over two years I am about $8K into my 32 Tudor including buying the car (yes I was the highest offer....I know it was a steal but they are out there). It is about priorities and doing the work yourself rather than sending it to a restoration shop.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #35
35fordtn

I have friends around here that are into "rat rods" or street rods. I have no issues with them as they are valuable resources for original parts they pull of their cars
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
jim1932

OK there is a difference between a "ratrodder" at a event dedicated to restoring cars and at an event open to all cars. I have no issue with anyone....just offering a possible reason for the immediate dislike (which was inexcusable).
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #37
35fordtn

I agree with jim1932.. I have a 1950 2 door that i have driven 3000 miles in the last 2 months. All in all I have $6500 in it.. The 1935 Ford in my avator picture I have $12,880 in it and it is a nice restored original car that I will drive anywhere. A good car can be purchased for a reasonable price.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
35fordtn

Well I can assure you I am not a "ratrodder" to the extent that I am about to pull my hair out knowing I don't have the $$ to make all my cars 100% correct and show ready
Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #39
bart78

I don't get the rat rod thing. Most are a mix match of parts from anything to make a death trap. And the street rods prety much the same I don't like to take something old from when we were manufacturers and not importers and make it new with a bunch of stuff made by a five year old Chinese girl.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #40
35fordtn

Now that was too funny