Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2019, 03:55 AM   #1
Ian NZ

Default Fire Extinguishers

What is the best place to mount a 2lb Fire Extinguisher in a Ford V8 car.
If you fit it onto the parcel shelf with a bracket behind the seat on a coupe it could get jammed in there by accident .
At the moment I have it fitted the extinguisher sitting under the swab of the seat which can be lifted off on our 1932 coupe.
If you mount it with a bracket on the footwell it would be in the road of the passengers etc.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Fire Extinguishers

Below the bottom edge just in front of the pass. seat seems to be the most recommended place. Several installation bracket designs available.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wher...hrome&ie=UTF-8
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Ron Pilger

Regardless of where you mount your extinguisher, remember this: Every fire extinguisher needs to be "tipped over" monthly until the contents can be heard to move. Many fire extinguishers get mounted upright for months, or years on end, without ever being moved. When a fire hits, the contents have all turned into a hard lump and offer no solution whatsoever. When i was learning to fly, the pre-flight checklist included the procedure of "rotating" the extinguisher and listening carefully for the contents moving about.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
oldskool

some of the car shows in my area require a fire extinguisher ,especially if there being judged.mine is mounted on the trans hump close to the seat
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilger View Post
Regardless of where you mount your extinguisher, remember this: Every fire extinguisher needs to be "tipped over" monthly until the contents can be heard to move. Many fire extinguishers get mounted upright for months, or years on end, without ever being moved. When a fire hits, the contents have all turned into a hard lump and offer no solution whatsoever. When i was learning to fly, the pre-flight checklist included the procedure of "rotating" the extinguisher and listening carefully for the contents moving about.
Ron, did not know this!! Will be "tipping" the ones in my garage this morning!! Like many things, not top of mind until you really need it!!

Thanks for the advice.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
19Fordy

Is "tipping" procedure needed for Halon extinguishers?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
deuce_roadster

I can tell you from personal experience when you need a fire extinguisher, you need it RIGHT NOW, not 30 seconds from right now (mine was in the rumble seat area). I had a cheap Mallory condenser give up on a very hot day (> 100 degrees) and cause the engine in my avatar roadster to start backfiring up through the carbs. This is when I found out that the oil soaked filter elements in K&N air cleaners burns really hot. Top of the hood sunk down about 1 1/2 inches, and burned some of the wiring off the engine as well as paint off the side louvers of the hood. This was over 100 miles from home.
I changed the condenser, jury rigged the ignition wiring and drove the rest of the way on our club tour but the 2 K&N air cleaners are in a ditch somewhere in Eastern Washington. I know many swear by these filters, I just swear at them.
With hammer and dolly, I stretched the hood tops back up to where they should be and had my buddy with a louver press punch louvers in the tops, repainted them and never put the sides back on. They are wall hangers now with blistered paint.
The fire extinguisher is now wrapped in a towel, sitting on the seat adjuster right behind me when I am driving. I also now just have cheap paper elements in new air cleaners, they at least wouldn't burn very long should something like that happen again.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
B-O-B

Yeah & those $3-4.00 ones will not do the job. Get you self a good one the has some extinguishing powder in it. Seen a few that just one or two brief shots & they were done.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Is "tipping" procedure needed for Halon extinguishers?
Tipping not needed for Halon. Just let me know where I can buy one, since new Halon extinguishers were banned for causing holes in the ionosphere.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
john in illinois

They recycle Halon. That is why there are new Halon extinguishers.

https://www.h3rcleanagents.com/h3r-h...inguishers.htm

John

Last edited by john in illinois; 05-14-2019 at 03:43 PM.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #11
gajeepguy

Tipping is also not needed for Co2 extinguishers. Co2 is much better for underhood fires because it doesn't leave the corrosive powder residue like dry powder ones. The best bet today would be the halon.
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
They recycle Halon. That is why there are new Halon extinguishers.

https://www.h3rcleanagents.com/h3r-h...inguishers.htm

John
Thanks! Did not realize they were doing that recycle thing. I will get one, in spite of the cost, for the house, because it works way better and there is no clean-up.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #13
Ian NZ

The Yellow Halon fre extinguishers are banned nere in N.Z. and they have tried calling them in and charging you $20.00 to send them to Australia to have the Halon gas removed. Several years ago I asked about this to a guy who worked for the Fire brigade and he said not to worry about it as they are far better than the powder CO2 type which are hard to cleanup as they can leave a residue inside a engine if if you spray it on which is very damaging. I know of several guys in the Vintage car club who have the Yellow Halon type and are not handing them in because of the residue that other fire extinguishers leave behind. and they work better.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
chap52

As a firefighter in the Navy we filled those dry chemical extinguishers all the time. Even if good we would dump the powder and replace with new loose stuff. Sometimes we had to chip the powder clods out with a screwdriver. They were powered with external CO2 cartridges and were two large (20# of chemical) to carry in a Model A.
"If it weren't for flashbacks I would have no memory at all."
Great reminder, that "shaking " is on my list for this morning. Thanks, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #15
51 MERC-CT

Even if I were holding the fire extinguisher in my hand when this happened a number of years ago, the results would have been virtually the same.
This happened while sitting in the seat and took 10-15 seconds to apply the fire extinguisher after removal off the wall.
The cause was an insecure cross over secondary tube that was spewing raw gas on start up with the hood up.

The powder residue, although a mess, washed off relatively easy.
Needless to say everything has been repaired with the exception of a couple of charred wires that remain as a reminder.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 05-16-2019 at 06:26 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #16
Ian NZ

I believe the powder extinguishers make a bit of a mess and if the powder gets sucked into the engine the engine has to be dismantled before it can be restarted .
I will be leaving my BCF fire extinguisher wrapped in a towel under the seat squab which lifts of, in my V8 coupe. I would say the movement of the car would help keep the contents under control as Ron Pilger remarked about the tipping procedure which is a good idea.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #17
Red98

In my red sports vehicle - I made a bracket to mount the FE between the drivers door and seat. The bracket fastens using the bolts from seat to floor. There's generally just enough room and it presents a nice statement to those standing around when you open the driver's door.

!. Only use the somewhat expensive HALON aircraft FE. You may pay $100 or because it's made for aircraft use (available from Spruce Aircraft) and leaves NO residue or harmful fumes.
2. You want to be able to retrieve it easily from whether you are - either outside the car or from the driver's seat in a quick exit. Hence the ideal area besides the seat which is accessible with window open or when opening the door should you be outside the car.

I've seen several guys place the FE just in front of the passenger seat but with a passenger in the car you have a tangle with their legs and can't get it easily from outside the car.

Also many guys buy the $20 special and when it's used have a month's work cleaning up the mess.

I note someone mentioned HALON is banned ... not for aircraft and you buy it for you plane and install it in your car by mistake. Like I said, Spruce Aircraft Supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracket 3a.jpg (25.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Bracket 5a.jpg (40.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Bracket 1.jpg (73.7 KB, 14 views)
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
Red98

Last edited by Red98; 05-16-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Even if I were holding the fire extinguisher in my hand when this happened a number of years ago, the results would have been virtually the same.
This happened while sitting in the seat and took 10-15 seconds to apply the fire extinguisher after removal off the wall.
The cause was an insecure cross over secondary tube that was spewing raw gas on start up with the hood up.

The powder residue, although a mess, washed off relatively easy.
Needless to say everything has been repaired with the exception of a couple of charred wires that remain as a reminder.

51 Merc, you are the master of photo posting....particularly with educational aids, pointers, etc.!!! Thank you!! I mounted a Holley 390 backwards in my '39 just as it appears you have done in order to use the original throttle linkage. I had the same issue with the transfer tubes leaking because they are sealed by just those neoprene washers. Mine leaked, too, but I caught it before the "fire works" that you experienced....kind of ruins a guy's day.....or worse!!

Based on posts above and below, I'm thinking about Halon fire extinguishers!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #20
1oldtimer

Every car has a 5lb Halotron extinguisher. No shaking, no mess and they have a longer shelf life.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote