Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Alemite grease gun

I have this AA that is new to me and I really need to grease the front end. The truck has sat for many, many years. There is a mix of new and old types of fittings, the kingpins having the old style and press-in. I can't get the old fittings to accept grease from a normal lever action gun. Then I remember an old alemite type in my shop's attic from an earlier AA. Now my question.... The alemite has a plunger on a rod. This plunger slides on the rod maybe 3" worth. Thus, the plunger just slides back towards the handle. At the last 1'2" or so, you can get some pressure, but it won't go through the grease fittings. Is there something missing like a long spring? Maybe the plunger disc should be firmly affixed to the rod? How can this thing even work with no mechanical advantage like a lever provides. I have done a search here and many of you folks use this type of gun and like it. I plan on heating the kingpins lightly with a torch to soften the grease, but I think there may be more to this than I'm seeing. I could get a pic of the gun apart if you'd like. It is really tough to steer as is. Thanks in advance.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Randy in Illinois

Default Re: Alemite grease gun

Hi Gb, the old style alimite grease fittings don't have a check ball like the zerk fitting, modern fitting, so use a small wire to poke through the old hard grease. The original grease. Gun works well keep pressure on the handle. You may have to have someone. Turn the steering while greaseing. Or the passage is pluged else where.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
GB SISSON

Thanks! I just saw on an old thread that the 'pump' is in the tip of these guns. Do I assume that you don't push the plunger in to introduce grease into the fittings? Do you pump the body of the grease gun in short strokes, or the rod? Very mysterious device to someone who learned mechanics back in the late 60's.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Randy in Illinois

If i rember how to use the grease gun, hold the body on the fitting and pump the handle, short strokes. You can try the technique on the bench first to see if the gun works. It should, very reliable tool.. ggood luck, i have a rear spring schaicle pluged on my coupe can free up . I learned. Mechanics in the. 50s
Retired now from olds dealer.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
J Franklin

Jacking up the front end sometimes helps getting the grease to the bushings.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Well, I got 3 of the king pin fittings taking grease. Drilled and tapped for modern zerks and some gentle heat with the torch. Probably a few chips might have gotten in, but this truck is pretty tired and I just needed it to steer so I could use it around the property. The top left is hard to reach, but tomorrow I might attack it with a right angle drill, then turn the tap with a 3/8 end wrench. I'm a glutton for punishment. Never did get the alemite to work, even on the bench pressed up to a fitting. Guessing the seal has gone bad. Thanks for the help and support. Now onto the overheating, the dead generator and whatever comes else comes up.