Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
johndee138

Default 36 coupe roof insert replacement help

I am ready to put a new roof insert into my coupe after painting and wasn't around for the removal prior (painter took it out).
The wood and wire are all that is in place at the moment.
I have some finishing vinyl for the final layer but am at a loss as to what goes under.
Canvas, over the wire, batting,(how much?) then the final layer, or something else as well?
I have some closed cell foil backed foam that I could include, or does this promote condensation?
Any video would be great too!
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: 36 coupe roof insert replacement help

I assume my Model A is similar to your 36. I put what looked like a heavy weight black muslin over the wire (you can use anything heavy enough) to support a layer of 1/2" poly batting and followed by the top material.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
cas3

here's one version https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1932-ford-5w-coupe-roof-insert-how-i-did-it.1115317/ oh shoot! i had this bookmarked and now it says the video is private! too bad, it was a good "how to"

Last edited by cas3; 11-19-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
rich b

The tack strip was gone on my '35, I cut some poly and pop riveted it in the groove, I then tacked down some billboard membrane (instead of canvas), followed by 1/4 dense foam (instead of cotton batting), and followed up with marine topping. It was kinda fun getting it stretched in place by myself; but I cut small pieces of the rubber retainer and removed them as I pressed the actual retainer in place. Didn't come out too bad once the retainer was all in and the topping trimmed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0678 (Medium).jpg (17.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg top seal 03.jpg (93.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0683 (Medium).jpg (22.1 KB, 66 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
cas3

good photos rich. one of the ideas i liked in the the now gone video is, the guy made a 2x4 frame slightly bigger than the roof opening, then stretched and stapled his top fabric on the frame upside down while working on the garage floor. now, when done you flip it over and onto the roof and staple your already stretched fabric into place, then cut around the hole and throw off the 2x4's. never done it, but i like the idea. i had another good hamb thread bookmarked and i looked at that to see that all the photo's are gone. damn photobucket
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
good photos rich. one of the ideas i liked in the the now gone video is, the guy made a 2x4 frame slightly bigger than the roof opening, then stretched and stapled his top fabric on the frame upside down while working on the garage floor. now, when done you flip it over and onto the roof and staple your already stretched fabric into place, then cut around the hole and throw off the 2x4's. never done it, but i like the idea.
Friend used the 2x4 frame idea to hold the membrane tight when he secured it to the roof on the A sedan. The frame with the remaining membrane is leaning against the door in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (12) - Copy (Medium).jpg (19.9 KB, 53 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
TJ

The weight of the wood frame evenly stretches the material across the opening. Makes it much easier if you are doing the job yourself.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote