Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Karl

Default Spark Plug Leads Change 34

Whats the easiest way to change the Spark plug leads on a 34? On the Right side bank i think the easiest would be to remove the conduit and do in the bench . On the left side What do I do with the loom /ignition wire to the coil that also runs in the conduit? .

I continue to chase the miss in the 34 All the usual culprits have been checked and even replaced with known good units. I thought i was into it with the finding of some membranes in the fuel tank ? varnish ? POR 15 breakdown but bypassing the tank and feeding from a can of good fuel doesn't cure the miss-Next stop spark plug leads
Old 06-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: Spark Plug Leads Change 34

Carl, I have just done two of these, one on the bench the other in the car, in car what I did was to take all the old leads out, then solder the terminal on that is on the terminal plate end, feed that in through the harness and then cut it to length on the plug end roughly leaving a bit to play with, then do the rest , I feed them in from the dist end one at a time, then cut them to length at the plug end and terminate them there.
ALSO another way I do it some times is I have a terminal plate which I have drilled out through the holes where the wires go in, then I can feed in the wire from the spark plug eng with the plugs ends already on,get the length right by feeding them into the terminal plat that I have drilled out,and cut the off and terminate the dist end.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Jim in Wisconsin

If you buy the good wires from a place like Van Pelt, they come cut to the right length and with all the ends attached. These wires are "slick" enough to slide through the conduits real easy. Not a hard job at all, except messing around with the terminal plates. There are numbers on the plates so you don't get them in the wrong place.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
35fordtn

Karl, It's been a while But last time, I used metal safety wire around the end on the old wire, and the opposite end of the new wire. When pulling the old wire out and some persuasion I pull the new wire in. Last time I replaced them one at a time with this method, plenty of cuss words were spoken, but in the end and after a hour all went well.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Zeke3

I would add a wire to the end of the coil wire on the left side conduit and pull the coil wire out so that I could work on the conduit on the bench. Then you have a wire to pull the coil wire back through when you have replaced the spark plug wires.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #6
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
I would add a wire to the end of the coil wire on the left side conduit and pull the coil wire out so that I could work on the conduit on the bench. Then you have a wire to pull the coil wire back through when you have replaced the spark plug wires.

Thanks that was my plan- I have the good wires from Michael Driscoll
I did the Right side this afternoon. Have just come in for the garage In the interest of seeing if I have fixed the miss I have not run the wires in the left conduit but just plugged them into the terminal plate and cable tired them to the outside of the conduit. Test drive tomorrow here's hoping !

If it fixes the problem then I will feed them properly through the conduit.
At a later date

Karl

Karl
Old 06-06-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
If it fixes the problem then I will feed them properly through the conduit.
At a later date
Karl

Isn't that sorta like doing a heart bypass, and leaving the new plumbing on the outside of the guy's chest? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Isn't that sorta like doing a heart bypass, and leaving the new plumbing on the outside of the guy's chest? DD
Yep Don't let me operate on you! -Karl
Old 06-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #9
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Karl Some cars I have done I leave the Loom/Harness for the Generator and distributor clipped to the back side of the Conduit Tube while this is not Ford Correct I do this for a reason , others I have feed them through, I keep a roll of wire that is the correct size other wise they will not all fit in ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 06-07-2020 at 01:12 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:37 AM   #10
Brian

I too, do it Ted's way....easier to work on. I am forever swapping engines, with differing ignition systems, so running external generator and coil wires simplifies things.
Why am I forever swapping engines? 'cause the old 35 is my test mule.