Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
JD-OHIO

Default License Plates

For those of you that live in Ohio, what do you do for license plates if you want to do more than just parades or shows? It seems that is all you're supposed to use the car for if you want to use original year of manufacture plates, or even the Ohio Historical Plates.
JD-OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
77Birdman

Default Re: License Plates

Threads before on plates so I dont want to beat a dead horse but, I think most states are the same more or less. In Maryland there are several options. 1. you can put on a regular set of tags with no restrictions and drive the car at your discression (or what your ins. dictates). The reg. tags are quite costly ($150+ yr.). 2. Get historic tags (that have a one time fee of about $50), and 'technically' you are only supposed to drive to shows, or events, and occasional use. With a registered historic tag you can also register a YOM plate as well. You can have the YOM plate on the car and put the state issued historic plate in the trunk. I dont think anyone will bother you with having historic tags and using the car for other than shows. Again, your insurance will dictate usage more so than the dmv. In my parts any car over 20 yrs. qualifies for historic and the priveledge is more than abused. For example I was at the landfill yesterday and there was a guy unloading shingles out of the back of his '89 chevy pu with historic tags. That goes against all of the rules!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:40 AM   #3
marty in Ohio

JD,
I registered a YOM plate on my '30 town sedan in 1994 and I drive it anywhere I want and haven't been questioned once. Actually I had only one plate when two were required back then.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
Chris in WNC

Nitpicking license plates on antique cars is appropriately a low priority for most law enforcement.
I get a nice YOM plate for each old car (on eBay) and display it all the time.
Once I got stopped in a radar trap with our '37 Plymouth and the cop did not even ask for registration, he just wrote the '37 plate number on the ticket and sent me on my way.
I do have our '35 registered with a legal NC plate which I carry in the car but don't think it is really a must-have and may just let it expire......
Old 03-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
Ray64

I drive when and where I want and no one has bothered me SO FAR RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
1928Mik

I have a Historical Plate on the back and a YOM plate on the front. Don't drive it that much but I have never gotten any looks from law enforcement.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
John Dayhuff

I have a 1930 car. If I wanted to put a 1970 plate on the front and a 1930 plate on the rear and keep the historical plate in the trunk, do you think that would be an issue?

John
John Dayhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
Perry

In alabama regular plate on my 30 Tudor is the same price as my 92 Silverado. tags in Alabama or based on age of auto. $30 and change. Regular tag allows me to drive any where, any time. Not worried about police, but attorney if had a wreck. How do you think they could play it because you were on the road illegally? Fender bender could turn into a nightmare.
Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #9
whirnot

I wish I could run a YOM plate on my pickup.
1930 plates don't exist in Oregon.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
37 Coupe

I have used YOM plates since the state of Ohio has allowed it. You also get historical plate to put under the seat for proof I guess. You can drive just about anywhere you want to and can always say you are test driving or something. It is an unbelievable bargain one price and it is cheap for as long as you have the car,no yearly fee. The people I see that are going to ruin it is the 25 year old car owners. See those plates on cars all the time at Walmart.Beat up 25 year old "classic" car with one time charge collector car plates on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120649.jpg (58.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by 37 Coupe; 03-14-2020 at 08:59 AM.
37 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray64 View Post
I drive when and where I want and no one has bothered me SO FAR RAY

Same here had a YOM plate on the car, but I did have the correct historical plate in the trunk and some "business" cards in the seat pocket.

If stopped I was ready with " Oh crap officer I forgot to change it back after the last car show." The business cards were for the "membership drive" that I was on to meet the "club use" requirement of the insurance.

You need to do what makes you comfortable!
Old 03-15-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
marty in Ohio

I agree with 37 Coupe in posting #10. I see bucket T's at the cruise ins with a 1923 license plate on the rear. With a huge Chevy engine with a blower on it, tell me what part of this "car" is a 1923 Ford model t. No model t built would support that kind of power. Maybe the only original part is the title!
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:42 PM   #13
Penthode

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I wish I could run a YOM plate on my pickup.
1930 plates don't exist in Oregon.
Can you explain further? Oregon began issuing plate in 1911.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:51 AM   #14
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Can you explain further? Oregon began issuing plate in 1911.
In 1929 they decided to start issuing plates in July instead of Jan. So they let you run a 1929 plate until July of 1930. By then it was time for the 1931 plate that would expired in July of 1931. Sometime after that they switched back to the January issue date, thus 1930 plates were never made.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #15
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I have used YOM plates since the state of Ohio has allowed it. You also get historical plate to put under the seat for proof I guess. You can drive just about anywhere you want to and can always say you are test driving or something. It is an unbelievable bargain one price and it is cheap for as long as you have the car,no yearly fee. The people I see that are going to ruin it is the 25 year old car owners. See those plates on cars all the time at Walmart.Beat up 25 year old "classic" car with one time charge collector car plates on it.
Same policy as MD. It restricts driving but does not prohibit. HOWEVER, there was a case in the local paper a few months back that an officer stopped a mid 80's something at midnight with a car load of people. Big surprise, drugs were involved! Reason for stopping car was that it had historic plates and MD law says that 'you cannot transport passengers on a state road with historic plates'. He was def. looking for a reason to pull them over, and rightfully so, but I would think that clause should be taken out of the rules. I suppose when I take my wife and grandson to the monthly car cruise I am guilty as well, even though I am going to a 'car event'.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #16
Terry,OH

Drive it. Can always say your going to take the car to your friends house for a tune up.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
barnstuf

There has been 15 responses regarding license plate type for using an antique car for daily use. No one has mentioned your insurance policy. Insurance companies are not 100% equal. Your company policy may not pay a claim on an accident with a car insured as an antique and in an accident while not being used as an antique. Read your antique car policy to see if you are covered for daily use before you file a claim and are NOT covered. I have an antique car with regular plates and daily use is not covered but occasional personal use is covered. The insurance company asks for a speedo mileage reading each year.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #18
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
There has been 15 responses regarding license plate type for using an antique car for daily use. No one has mentioned your insurance policy. Insurance companies are not 100% equal. Your company policy may not pay a claim on an accident with a car insured as an antique and in an accident while not being used as an antique. Read your antique car policy to see if you are covered for daily use before you file a claim and are NOT covered. I have an antique car with regular plates and daily use is not covered but occasional personal use is covered. The insurance company asks for a speedo mileage reading each year.
True, but the thread was a question about license plates. My ins. company (Grundy) has never asked what kind of plates I run. They also allow me to drive my car whenever I want. I cannot use it for daily transportation but there are no mileage restrictions and if I want to take it out for a drive because Im feeling a bit down, that's ok with them. In fact when I spoke to the agent on the phone for clarification he said they encourage people to drive their cars.