Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
40cpe

Default Another clutch chatter thread

Noticing the recent threads on clutch chatter makes me want to post my issue but I won't interfere with the other threads. The clutch chatters when the engine is cold but doesn't when the engine is fully warm. The chatter is at the top of the pedal at the at the end of the release. If I start off in second gear it doesn't chatter. 276"/L100 8BA is 3 years/4000 miles old. I had the Borg and Beck Mercury clutch rebuilt at Fort Wayne Brake and Clutch. The flywheel was resurfaced and a new pilot bushing installed. The engine is in a '38 that I converted the clutch pedal and linkage to '40 Ford parts to eliminate the pushing effect on the engine/trans assembly when operating the clutch. The U-joint seemed tight with no slack or play. The clutch was flawless for a few hundred miles, then developed a chatter. I began to notice that the chatter would be much less at times. I've tried motor/trans mount adjustment from snug to running all the threads down with no noticeable difference. I've watched it for a few cycles and it is consistent. Any ideas that I can run down on the cause would be appreciated.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Another clutch chatter thread

Do you have the anti-chatter rods fitted?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

Re tighten your motor and transmission mounts--like REAL tight.
Also the original type mounts that have more steel in them is quite a bit better then those without. I am using replacements with FoMoCo on them and they are almost like solid.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
40cpe

Mart, I don't have anti chatter rods. This is an 8 BA ( no attaching point at the engine) and the clutch linkage doesn't push on the engine assembly. That is really why I installed the clutch linkage that pushes on the frame. Would the bars have a different impact hot vs cold? So you think they are necessary? To re-state, the chatter is just before the free play at the top of the pedal. It is smooth until the very end of engagement.

Deuce, I have them tightened to the bottom of the threads on the through bolts. I get engine vibes through the frame with them this tight. Do you have a source for the good mounts?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
cas3

there are ways to mount the chatter rods on an 8ba, i ve seen the posts here. do a search, or maybe some one will jump in to help?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

I bought these motor mounts some time ago from a dealer that had a lot of NOS stuff.
Those engine stay rods were there to prevent the engine from being pushed forward by the torque tube, that is why the 49 and up flatheads have no place to attach them, as they went to an open driveline that doesn't push forward when you begin to move.
I wonder if the 3 arms on the pressure plate are not adjusted equally, as I understand it, the chatter happens just at about full engagement when the friction is greatest. Maybe they were ok at first but one has changed and screwed itself in a bit.
I guess another possibility is oil is escaping from the gear cover behind the flywheel and now there is enough on the disk to cause some chatter.
I hate this kind of thing, I hope it is something simple for you.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 08-05-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 AM   #7
Mart

It would benefit from anti-chatter rods. The 40 models had that type of clutch release but retained the anti-chatter rods. As mentioned above people have made brackets to adapt the rods to cars that have had 8BA motors installed. You have to remember the rear axle pushes and pulls on the transmission and motor as you accelerate and decelerate.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
cas3

i'm surprised no one has spoke up, its been here several times. i've never done it, but from memory, there are two holes in your cast iron bell housing that are basically in the same place as the holes in an earlier block for the rods. may have to drill it bigger?, and some have made brackets as mart mentioned. also as mart mentioned, they should be there as thats how the system was designed. google search, 8ba steady rods fordbarn
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
40cpe

I forgot to mention that I installed one of the brackets that is supposed? to replace the rods. I couldn't tell that it made any difference. I still don't understand why it always gets smooth when the engine warms up. Credit for the picture goes to 'Barner 19Forty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antichatter brkt.jpg (56.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
Flathead Guy

UPDATE:

I just talked to Mark Seitz today, April 5, 2020. His correct phone number is 234-600-8804 and he charges $60 which includes shipping for a pair of his 8ba Anti-chatter Adapter brackets.

His address is the same:

5345 Parkman Road NW,

Warren,OH 44481
Flathead Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #11
Ggmac

I'm leaning towards oil that either is thrown off or burnt off but the anti hatter rods will be my first try .
What kind of oil pressure are you running ?
What condition are your rear wishbone mounts in ? Everything tight ? Did this start after a brake adjustment? I know that's far reaching but I've seen it .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #12
Gene1949

Your post indicates your chatter is temperature related.
Definitely an oil leak or dirty assembly issue (hands, failure to clean the flywheel or pressure plate)

Further down in your post you said your chatter was at the top of the pedal.
A 3 fingered pressure plate wasn't adjusted equally

A sloppy front mainshaft bearing.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #13
19Fordy

Would a broken rear transmission mount ear on the transmission cause this?

Are your rear transmission mounts good? Are they tight?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
richard crow

what you call anti chatter rods are not for clutch chatter .there purpose is to hold the eng from the pushing force from the torque tube .when you have open drive there not needed
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #15
richard crow

we just had a 32 ford in our shop with the worst clutch chatter i ever saw.i sent the assembly to fort wayne clutch who i always deal with . i installed the clutch & it chattered just as bad.i called them they said send it back i asked them to send a different assembly not to redo this one witch they did. the clutch now is smooth as silk. i have never had a proulbem with forth wayne they are the best what i am saying that some time even the best can,t explane what was wrong. p.s the 32 ford is one pain in the ass to do a clutch on. fort wayne as still the best & i will still send them my clutch,s
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #16
4t8v8

I've had the same problem with my 8BA. The only real difference is sometimes mine will chatter and sometimes it is as smooth as silk. Temperature doesn't make any difference.
It has gotten better over time. I've tried everything that can be done. Finally decided to live with it.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #17
tubman

You might want to check out what I went through to get my 8BA "clutch geometry" to where I felt comfortable with it. There are some who said it was not necessary, but I believe that it goes a long way in explaining what might have caused the kind of mysterious problem described by "richard crow" above.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...highlight=shim

(Please be advised that it is long and may be boring to some.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
what you call anti chatter rods are not for clutch chatter .there purpose is to hold the eng from the pushing force from the torque tube .when you have open drive there not needed
Unless I missed it he didn't say what transmission or rear is installed . My apologies if he did .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #19
oldford2

Well, a big part of reducing "chatter" is learning the clutch release. I had chatter after all the above changes. When I start up now I let up on the pedal until I feel it starting to engage. Then increase the RPM's a lot (almost like the old term "slipping the clutch). Keep releasing the pedal and increasing RPM's until you feel the clutch is engaged then you should be good to go. Try it
JMO
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #20
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Well, a big part of reducing "chatter" is learning the clutch release. I had chatter after all the above changes. When I start up now I let up on the pedal until I feel it starting to engage. Then increase the RPM's a lot (almost like the old term "slipping the clutch). Keep releasing the pedal and increasing RPM's until you feel the clutch is engaged then you should be good to go. Try it
JMO
John
I'm sure that woks well for you, but I would like to remind you that Ford built these cars to be driven by old ladies, beginning drivers, and other unskilled people, and were thus designed to release smoothly without babying.

They can be brought back to that level if you expend the effort.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote