Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Closing statement addendum

Before I go into the "lurking" mode, I wish to genuinely thank all of you that sent me the many PMs supporting my concerns with how the Ford Barn is functioning. Most appreciated..

It seems like the comments share some of the issues that have been brought up. Not only by me, but many others. Mostly the same message.

With proper Forum Supervision and the willingness of everyone to be civil and tolerant, the Ford Barn will continue to be the winner.

And, many thanks to all the subsequent responses to my engine installation. Too bad we all had to endure the beginning..

We can do this!

Larry
Old 02-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Closing statement addendum

What you have to remember is that it is just a damned old car. Don't let it affect your health. Nobody needs a heart attack or a stroke over a car, good luck in the lurking mode and come back soon. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-17-2016 at 08:23 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Missed your original post but it appears somebody "ruffled" your feathers. Don't leave the forum. It's easy for me to say as I've got thick skin.
Keep the questions coming. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #4
mshmodela

Larry,

Well I can understand your issues and hope you keep on the Ford Barn... There are always some people who lack manners and all we can do is turn the other cheek and pray for them....

The very best to you,

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 02-17-2016 at 06:33 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
jm29henry

I don't know what happened but I am sorry for any one who is unkind and I wish you well
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

You have to have thick skin when dealing with people on the internet. Rod
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
At least this creeped up a star on the thread rating
The thread rating is completely meaningless, just like some of the posts made on the Barn, or any forum for that matter. If you do not have a legitimate answer why waste the time to post an inane comment. Then there are the posts that would be best sent in a Personal Message. Sometimes I think some here add a comment just to boost their all important post count. Who gives a fig about a post count if there was nothing significant to add? We want positive answers and good, solid information, not mindless pap.
Stick around Larry, not all of us have forgotten how much we didn't know when we were starting out.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
The thread rating is completely meaningless, just like some of the posts made on the Barn, or any forum for that matter. If you do not have a legitimate answer why waste the time to post an inane comment. Then there are the posts that would be best sent in a Personal Message. Sometimes I think some here add a comment just to boost their all important post count. Who gives a fig about a post count if there was nothing significant to add? We want positive answers and good, solid information, not mindless pap.
Stick around Larry, not all of us have forgotten how much we didn't know when we were starting out.
Well said and seconded..!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
Jwilli

Larry, stay with us. Remember what works for you may not work for me. What works for me may not work for you. We learn something from every post. Sometimes we learn what not to do. Good luck with your project.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #10
Tom K.

I whole heartedly agree Fordors, well said !!
Tom K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
zzlegend

Quote:
X4. Glad I am not the only one that notices a few that post over and over again to get those post counts up. Hum.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
Don't worry Jeff, some of us got what you meant. And 5 people wasted posts complaining about wasted posts.
I beg to differ. Those 5 people got to express their opinion so their posts were anything but wasted. Freedom of speech is and was a right that was fought for, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
Mel Gross

Larry

Please stay on Ford Barn as I and most others appreciate and use your postings to help us.

I had worked on and saved the below message and was leery about using it until now. Please read:

I like most others use the Ford Barn “The Forum” section to ask questions and learn and then apply these answers / replies to a specific need or project. There are hundreds of you out there that are extremely experienced / talented and have vast knowledge in all or certain areas. We all need to tap your brains and apply this knowledge before it is lost.

With this being said, don’t you think that we need to use The Forum as a learning tool just as it was meant to be and not a chat room?

If you don't know or have experience / knowledge of the topic at hand and just want to reply to accumulate a high number of postings, then you are not doing any of us justice.

As time moves on, we are losing the experienced / knowledgeable people and the younger people that are getting involved in the Model A world are not as patience and will eventually go elsewhere to get answers if they have to sort thru the unnecessary answers / responses to important threads. This will eventually result in the Ford Barn’s “The Forum” section’s demise and our source to learn from.
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
You have to have thick skin when dealing with people on the internet. Rod
Although I have been corrected when I was wrong, I have never felt that I was personally attacked here on the Barn. After 35 years teaching science at a middle school, and teaching science for gifted students who were all smarter than me, a thick skin was a job requirement! When wrong I would acknowledge it and move on. My kids never expected perfection, but could see right through attempts to BS your way through an error, and respected honesty.

Some of my students were very sensitive to criticism. I used to tell them that when someone said something negative to them that only two situations applied. One was the statement was true. In that case you probably already new that. Learn from the encounter and move on. Or two, it was false. In that case just ignore the comment and move on!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
Ed

Larry,

Sorry they ruffled your feathers. This discussion about your engine install has been going on for quite some time. Everyone has their opinions and suggestions to offer. However in the end you must decide how you are going to approach this, and then follow through.

You are certainly not the first to have their feathers ruffled on this forum. And I doubt you will be the last. Anytime there is a forum this large and diversified you are going to have an occasional conflict or disagreement. We are somewhat fortunate that the site administrator gives us some leeway before stepping in.

Most of the advice you have received on this forum has been very good information, I really hope you continue to use the help that is available on this forum to assist you with your restoration project. As you already know, some if the help available on the is site cannot be found anywhere else.

I personally enjoy reading your post. It often makes me remember the struggles I also had in the earlier years of this hobby.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
holdover

Larry, we are all a part of this hobby, the good and the bad. I do not understand why some people feel that they need to "Flame" someone, often not saying something is better. I do understand you feelings. If there is anyway I can help in the future with my limited knowledge of As please feel free to email or PM me.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Whoops my apologies on the thread rating in reality I don't pay much attention to them either.

But somebody had rated it low I guess and it did catch my eye.

Hopefully Mr. Jenkins gets his original post straightened out. Didn't mean to stir the pot was just bad timing on a sore subject I will go back and delete same.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #18
Fordors

Going against my own feelings on PM's I will post this for all to see as it may apply to others-

Jeff, do not take my thoughts on the thread rating system as any sort of personal attack on you. That was not my intent and I guess I should have worded my thoughts better. I still do not see the need to rate threads, prefer to send a PM when needed so as not to waste Ryan's bandwidth and will continue to post only when I have a legitimate thought or answer to a thread. BTW, Woo Hoo, only 10 more posts and I'm at 1000!
Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #19
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Going against my own feelings on PM's I will post this for all to see as it may apply to others-

Jeff, do not take my thoughts on the thread rating system as any sort of personal attack on you. That was not my intent and I guess I should have worded my thoughts better. I still do not see the need to rate threads, prefer to send a PM when needed so as not to waste Ryan's bandwidth and will continue to post only when I have a legitimate thought or answer to a thread. BTW, Woo Hoo, only 10 more posts and I'm at 1000!
No problem Bud and no offense takin'
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #20
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Whoops my apologies on the thread rating

I didn't even know there was a thread rating so I guess I don't pay attention to the rating either. LOL
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote