Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
'26Tudor

Default Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and I'm sure glad I found such a site! I am currently working on taking apart a '26 Model T Tudor to start the restoration. I'm leaning toward more of a "hotrod" look for this car. Any pointers or other build threads, please feel free to post up some good reading! I have nothing but time.

'26Tudor
'26Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Hello Everyone!

Welcome, Im new here too so jump on in! Are you talking a period correct hot rod with the T motor? Go flat black with rustoleum flames! Neato Daddio!! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Gumpy

welcome to the forum...alot of help here...merry xmas
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
'26Tudor

I do not think I'm going to stick with the period correct (Please don't hurt me). I am thinking of a modern style hotrod. Ford 302, modern suspension, etc.

And Happy Holidays to everyone.
'26Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
yachtsmanbill

I want the Model T motor! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
fordman67

IBummer....wow just never seen a t hotrod with a 302...only make that worse one way...small block chebbie...sorry,welcome to the forum.keep that ol gal original. Find a different car to "hot rod"....I have my T that I will not monkey with...BUT a 41 tudor sedan that is a hot rod. If u rod the t u will waste most except just body. My 41 I will use the car and not ruin the intedrity of it....just my opinion .or just build a glass replica,that would be cheaper and not ruin an original. Devils advocate here!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
[email protected]

I'm with fordman67. Welcome aboard and happy building. Keep in mind, anyone can own a hotrod but it takes a special person to learn how to drive and maintain a Model T. But then you're the creator of your own destiny. And I promise we won't hate ya. As a matter of fact we'll like having you around. I'm pretty sure there's a quite a few other T hot rod owners around here and our speedsters were the granddaddys of your hot rod. So welcome aboard.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tudor View Post
I do not think I'm going to stick with the period correct (Please don't hurt me). I am thinking of a modern style hotrod. Ford 302, modern suspension, etc.

And Happy Holidays to everyone.

The guys are right anyone can weld a v/8 in and call it a hot rod. Only a few and the proud can turn time back and restore it to its once gory days, before you fire up that torch, take a ride in stock and see up your going to miss
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
[email protected]

'26tudor, Now that everyone has taken a shot at trying to get you to not hotrod your tudor, I think it's probably time to tell you that though we feel bad about seeing a t hotrodded we're still happy to have you on the forum. You do what you want with your car and as you go, keep us informed. Have you checked out the "Hamb" yet?
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
fordman67

O.K....here goes... How exactly are you going to weld v8 mounts to that stock t frame? AND modern suspension?........You wont. You will replace the frame,front suspension,rear suspension,engine,trans...ad what ever crappy dash...modernize the interior and where exactly will that fuel tank go again? because your ac you will need will go where the stock fuel tank used to be...see my drift..and all that inside the cramped t hood? I am not saying it can not be done and hasnt been 1 million times. BUT step back and think clearly at the project as a complete system...
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Doug Money

I always ask one thing of hot rodders. Please, finish the car. I can't tell you how many cars I have seen that were being "hot rodded" only to have the person lose interest or not have the ability to finish it, then the car is scrapped and no one can enjoy it. Do it right and have fun or do it original and have fun. Welcome aboard.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
t42

Fordman you are right on. T bodies end up on later or tubular chassis all the time. T chassis are flimsy at best and won't take the stresses of modern engines without some serious reinforcing. Talk to hot rod shops for their advice. Leave the T for a later restoration or just get it running and enjoy it. There are tons of abandoned hot rod projects that may fit your needs (i.e. e-bay, HAMB).
Chopping and channeling a good T body is a crying shame. Go with glass or a basket case body. Just an opinion, but welcome. And good luck!
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
fordman67

I probably come accross as not very nice. My intention is not to be, just real and honest. Dont get me wrong,I do like hot rods also,but there are most certainly cars to hot rod and then there are ones to not.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Willie in Houston

I agree with most of the above post. About all that is useable as a hot rod is the body and even that is not the best for a hot rod project. I own a 1922 speedster that is T powered and on a T frame. I am glad I do not have a V-8 under the hood. Brakes, steering and the suspension in general would not support that much power and speed.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
joe plumber

Cool Re: Hello Everyone!

Welcome aboard .If you want to hot rod your vehicle ,by all means do so .After all it's yours .The world would be a strange place if we all enjoyed the same things .JMHO
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by '26Tudor View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and I'm sure glad I found such a site! I am currently working on taking apart a '26 Model T Tudor to start the restoration. I'm leaning toward more of a "hotrod" look for this car. Any pointers or other build threads, please feel free to post up some good reading! I have nothing but time.

'26Tudor

How about some pics of what you're starting with? They made lots of '26s.

I kept mine original; you might want to get it running and see what it's like to drive before you make up your mind about modifying. You could collect parts while you decide?

A guy I used to know had a very tastefully done T-V8 with a 60 hp flathead. I know it's modified but it was a beautiful car.

Just a thought...
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
fordman67

A v8 60 t would be too cool also. That would fit pretty nicely I bet.
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
40 Deluxe

I'd suggest checking out the Speedway Motors catalog, or other fiberglass body sources, if you haven't tackled a project like this before. As mentioned, you will only be using the 'T' body anyway. This will give you a taste of what all is involved in building a hot rod. When that's completed, you can sell it (likely for a profit) and with newly honed skills, you can do your T successfully.
By the way, if you do hot rod it, do not thow out/junk any leftover parts! Someone will want tnem, for sure.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #19
Willie Krash

Well I'm new here too. I'm in Southern Oregon and have a 1920 Roadster. I belong to the national club and two local clubs. My car is not restored but a family piece that drove into my Auto/truck electrical shop. Would not have it any other way.
Re: the 26 it's your car but I must say please leave it as it is.

People ask me how fast my T will go. I tell them the beauty of the car is how slow it goes. Driving along the Rogue River on a dirt road, no hurry.

So HELLO everyone.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #20
Willie Krash

So I'll try a picture.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote