Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Jason in TX

Default Rear drain hole in 1934 Transmission case? Oil the wishbone ball?

Hello. I'm always notincing lots of oil on the cardboard I keep putting under my 1934 three window. Yesterday I peaked under the car and noticed the rear drain hole on the 34 transmssion.

I've built 1939 style transmissions, Side loaders, put lincoln gears in 78-7006 cases, etc. I guess since I usually don't seak out the slant top 18-7006 cases, I've not really paid much attention to them.

Also, the Van Pelt website doesn't talk about this hole.

So, was this hole there to oil the wishbone ball? What is inside the case keeping all the oil from dumping out? It looks like a fairly good size hole.

Here is a picture of the bottom of a 33 case from another post, showing that rear hole. Thanks all!

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Rear drain hole in 1934 Transmission case? Oil the wishbone ball?

That's not a drain hole. It may have been a manufacturing datum location originally used to mount the raw casting for machining purposes.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: Rear drain hole in 1934 Transmission case? Oil the wishbone ball?

If they took the time to machine the bore & counter bore, it must have been intended for some purpose but I have no idea what. It may have been a plan for some sort of fixture to hold the case during assembly too. Ford experimented with all sorts of different stuff so nothing would surprise me much. That mod didn't carry over to later cases that I have ever seen and there are several case variations in the 78 case alone. The 1934 cars generally had the 48-7006 case so my only question would be if this car has a VIN stamped in that case that matches with the cars frame number for a 1934 car? The 1932 & 33 cars used the 18-7006 case and they were a bit more different than the later cases even though they share some features with the 48 case. The model 18 case may have carried over for a while too. The change was happening at different places at different times till early types were used up.

All of them seep a bit unless a person goes to the trouble to try and seal up the counter shaft and the reverse idler shaft. The rear U-joint cap will eventually seep too.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-26-2017 at 06:09 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote