Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
53F250

Default Re: Flathead city, Gary Howard, Grants Pass, Or

Keep us posted as to what you explore. I too have an engine rebuild deposit and promised deliverable. I still want to believe Gary will do an amazing job. Yes, he is hard to get a hold of and yes he can fall behind schedule, at the same time I've also been working to find parts and these babies are really hard to get your hands on.

Gary told me three to six months in January 2019 - it will be 5 months in a couple weeks.

I've talked to him about once a month. In fact, he called me today. I'll have to call back as I was too busy to answer.

He is definitely not fast and eventually everyone losses patience, but historically he's delivered. This kind of bad press is recent. Guessing pure bad timing.

Last edited by 53F250; 06-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.
53F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #22
[email protected]

Yes, i own a 40 ford in wasilla, dan morrison I have talked to you at a couple car shows. Give me a call anytime, 244 6199
gbm@gci.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #23
[email protected]

Yes, I called HH flatheads in Ca an they quoted me 30 to 45 days and Gary at flathead city quoted me 30 days. He is closer to Alaska and had a shorter delivery time so I went with him. He still won't return my calls or texts.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #24
Red98

I paid Gary $4000 in October 2018 with the promise the engine would be ready early 2019. In Jan 2018 he requested additional $2250 which I gave. He quit returning my calls in April, claiming he texted answer. At the time I had no cell, since got one just for him.

May 13 just two weeks back, I drove the 250 miles to Grants Pass and he showed me 'my' block saying 3 engines were ahead of me. But then there was another name on the tag. No employees present, supposedly on vacation. Various excuses given. He does nice work, when it happens. I'd rather pay him the last $5000 I own him than write it off.

Last edited by Red98; 06-04-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #25
53F250

Was that this year or last?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #26
Alaska Jim

Yes Dan, I remember you. I have not been to any car functions since last june. I hap a hip replacement in early july last year, and it took me a while to recuperate. I wish you would have been able to get hold of me before , on this eng. thing. . I live half way between Palmer, and Wasilla, off the Palmer-Wasilla Hwy. call me anytime 907- 440-7786 . I am not much good for working on stuff anymore because of my bad back, but I will help with any info, and/ or advise. My brother is a Machinist, and he just retired about a month ago, and is very familiar with flatheads.. I hope you get this straightened out, or at least get your money back. I would try again to get the credit card company involved. you paid for goods and services you never received. you should be able to get a refund/ credit to your card.--- Jim. I think you could have had an engine built for you here in Anchorage for what you have already laid out. the shop where my brother used to work is still open, but with out him I do not know for sure how much experience some of the younger guys have on flatheads. let me know when you get this resolved, and maybe I can help you find a reputable shop here in Alaska. good machine shops are hard to find anymore, and a good machinist is even harder to find. ---- JIm

Last edited by Alaska Jim; 06-04-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
Ziggster

We had similar experiences with "vendors" on another forum that I used to frequent. Some were honest and were just overcome by events, others however were true scammers. It got to a point where the forum owner permitted a thread to be created where members could post their experience with the latter of the two to ensure community members were aware of who to avoid. I hope in this case, this vendor is just overwhelmed. Myself, I'm still waiting for my flathead which was dropped off last August. I'm in no particular hurry, and have not paid a penny, and have the luxury of dropping by anytime I wish. I trust him based on experiences of people I know and trust, but I see engines come and go, while mine patiently waits, but work is progressing.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #28
texas webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red98 View Post
I paid Gary $4000 in October 2018 with the promise the engine would be ready early 2019. In Jan 2018 he requested additional $2250 which I gave. He quit returning my calls in April, claiming he texted answer. At the time I had no cell, since got one just for him.

May 13 just two weeks back, I drove the 250 miles to Grants Pass and he showed me 'my' block saying 3 engines were ahead of me. But then there was another name on the tag. No employees present, supposedly on vacation. Various excuses given. He does nice work, when it happens. I'd rather pay him the last $5000 I own him than write it off.
Does that come to $11250.Or is my math off?Gotta be one helluva flathead.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #29
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red98 View Post
I'd rather pay him the last $5000 I own him than write it off.

Geez, I would not. I would want my money back. I am very patience to these flathead projects. It is frustrating to wait. Granted a month is nothing, but being jerked around doesn't help. Just answer the phone and say it'll be a few more months, sorry. What would you like to do...

I would suspect that you have a narrow summer fun driving season in Alaska. I hope it all works out for you!

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:38 PM   #30
deuce_roadster

Not one post from someone who had an engine built by this guy and it was delivered, who was satisfied. A couple say to give him more time but what sounds like phony excuses makes me think he could file for bankruptcy and several people would be out their engines, parts and a lot of money. Sounds like a real shaky operation.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #31
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Not one post from someone who had an engine built by this guy and it was delivered, who was satisfied. A couple say to give him more time but what sounds like phony excuses makes me think he could file for bankruptcy and several people would be out their engines, parts and a lot of money. Sounds like a real shaky operation.
Agree 100%. Get your money and parts back ASAP.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #32
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
X2. I still say contact the local police or sheriff's office and then the consumer affairs department in the Josephine County District Attorney's office. Keep all your records of trying to get your money back. Your phone bills will be a record of your attempts to contact. Your credit card company will want to see your documentation. There has to be someone closer to you that can do the job.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #33
53F250

When we spoke yesterday I was told my engine would be complete by end of month. I plan to pay in person on completion and drive away with the engine crated up and ready to drop at shipper. Flights are relatively cheap these days in the lower 48. I’ll keep you posted as to the reality of the timing and delivery/pickup.

Please keep sharing your experiences

Oh and another thing I’ve noticed. He seems to remember the small details we’ve discussed down to how I plan to use the engine. I don’t get the feeling he’s not paying attention. I’ll know more end of month.

Last edited by 53F250; 06-06-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #34
Tinker

you get that in writing
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #35
[email protected]

Update, my credit card company arranged a 3 way call this morning between gary, me and them. He had sent them a letter stating that my motor was done and he was waiting for me to pick it up. Later in the conversation I asked if I could have it picked up today. He then said there were a few more things to do before its "completely" done. He lied about several other things and To shorten the story, my card company called me back and said my card will be credited because gary lied to the card company about it being ready and they had no confidence in his story after listening to him on the phone. I'll keep you guys posted because I don't think it's over.
Be carefull with this guy he is slippery.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #36
J Franklin

After the card is credited back to you I would pick the engine up and only pay him for work actually performed at a reasonable rate. you may need to take some tools to inspect what he has done before cutting him a check. Did he say at all why or how things went south?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #37
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
After the card is credited back to you I would pick the engine up and only pay him for work actually performed at a reasonable rate. you may need to take some tools to inspect what he has done before cutting him a check. Did he say at all why or how things went south?

not me... this proven liar will never finish the engine and the odds of him accepting a check are about zero
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #38
chap52

It doesn't sound like you are going to let this slip under the rug. If he is a good guy, overwhelmed or pregnant it doesn't matter. He lied! Go get your stuff. The Grants Pass PD will accompany you to pick it up so there is no problems.
Also, I believe Alaska Airlines flies into Medford Oregon, just a short drive to Grants Pass. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #39
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
It doesn't sound like you are going to let this slip under the rug. If he is a good guy, overwhelmed or pregnant it doesn't matter. He lied! Go get your stuff. The Grants Pass PD will accompany you to pick it up so there is no problems.
Also, I believe Alaska Airlines flies into Medford Oregon, just a short drive to Grants Pass. Chap
Medford to GP is only 25-30 minutes. If the suspect is in the city limits he should contact Grants Pass PD. if the guy lives in the county it would be Josephine County Sheriff's Office.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #40
j32

Hi , I had Gary supply me with a 8BA merc block , crank , pistons, rings, bearings and do all the machine work back in 2012, and I would do all the assembly in my shop. He was always there to answer any questions I had , might have taken a call or two to get in touch with him but would take the time to talk with me. It did take a few months longer than the original agreement, but I was not in a big rush. I needed some accessory parts like a generator, crank pulley, road draft tubes and things like that, he shipped them to me at no charge. When I received the engine I looked it over and his machine work was top notch, he squared up the block , bored and honed it , all the usual things. I did notice something didn't look quite right on the valve seats, some were cut deeper than others and some barely at all, less than a 32nd, so I called many times to talk to him but he didn't answer so I left messages but he never returned any of the calls , this was disappointing so I took the block to a local shop and they had to replace a number of seats. In general, when you have to go outside your area to find quality work, it can be risky because you can't stop in to see how it is going. In my case I needed a block and he could provide everything I needed. For me, the reward was worth the risk. You never know, sometimes there is a change in circumstance such as health issues, personal issues, etc. that can extend the time frame promised that may not be obvious to the customers. When I worked with him, he was by himself, no employees. To the OP, hang in there, hope everything works out for you.
j32 is offline   Reply With Quote