Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #21
fordrodsteven

Default Re: 1955 T-Bird early(1954) VIN

I'm sure either will fit.
The Cleveland measurements are average 24-1/2 wide by 29 long by 28-1/2 high.
The Windsor engine measurement average are 24 wide by 29 long by 27-1/2 high.
"Y" block engine measures 28 by 29 by 29
The reason I wrote that those are average dimensions is because of possible different height intake, carb or other components attached to the engine affecting width or height.

Original "Y" block weighs 625 pounds, Windsor weighs 460 pounds, Cleveland weighs 550.

As I've written in other posts and I think I did earlier in this post is that with the lighter engine the front will raise up a little bit changing the stance of the car. Some people change out the front springs with Ford Aerostar springs to bring it back down to the correct height.

Last edited by fordrodsteven; 02-16-2019 at 09:34 PM.
fordrodsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #22
39deluxecp

I should tell you that this T-Bird had a 390 4-speed before I bought it. the previous owner had installed 3 of the coil spring "helper" devices popular in the old days. so I will have to install the engine and c4 , then see where it sits. I want it lower anyhow, so will probably remove the "helpers".
39deluxecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #23
fordrodsteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39deluxecp View Post
I should tell you that this T-Bird had a 390 4-speed before I bought it. the previous owner had installed 3 of the coil spring "helper" devices popular in the old days. so I will have to install the engine and c4 , then see where it sits. I want it lower anyhow, so will probably remove the "helpers".
Hmmmm. Helper springs? that surprises me because the big block Ford (390) weighs almost the same as the original "Y" block.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #24
miker98038

I read that as meaning these old time cheapies. Mainly for sagging springs, but I could see it for an FE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 349B01BD-C0F3-45EE-AFC8-F69AAAD42EFE.jpeg (18.0 KB, 1 views)
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #25
packrat5
BANNED

You are going to regret that Cleveland choice. Remember that when you are trying to get it in. It's your car, do what you want, but don't ignore good experienced advice.
By the way, there is no such thing as a true rear sump pan for Windsor, or Cleveland or 385 engines. The oil pump is in the front, so you are going to have a pan with a front and a rear sump. Good luck by the way.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #26
fordrodsteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat5 View Post
You are going to regret that Cleveland choice. Remember that when you are trying to get it in. It's your car, do what you want, but don't ignore good experienced advice.
By the way, there is no such thing as a true rear sump pan for Windsor, or Cleveland or 385 engines. The oil pump is in the front, so you are going to have a pan with a front and a rear sump. Good luck by the way.

Huh??? I'm confused!? I have a 302 automatic (Windsor) in my '55. The engine and transmission are out of an "80 Thunderbird and it is definitely rear sump oil pan. My car had already been setup for a 289. The only issues I had with this newer engine was peripherals. The A/C compressor was too high and hit on the hood. The power steering pump was too far out and hit on the frame. A re-bracket on both those items fixed the issues. Also. Why will the original poster regret putting in a Cleveland? The engine will fit. The usual problems will arise around the steering box with getting the engine mounted and with getting an exhaust that fits. Other than that I think he is pretty much "good to go". He already had a different engine (390) in the car to begin with. I don't know why he is considering changing it out to something different but that's his prerogative.

Last edited by fordrodsteven; 02-23-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 T-Bird early(1954) VIN

Your CLV rear sump pan and pickup will be from a 77/ 4WD pickup with a 351M/400.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ENGINE- Dimensions.jpg (66.7 KB, 45 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-01-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: ADD INFO
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #28
39deluxecp

in response to the rear sump oil pan. even with the oil pan off the 351c engine, the oil pump sticks down 6" from the front of the block. so it will have to sit high enough to clear the pan. a true rear sump engine (y-block) is probably 3" deep at the front. I have a 302 and a 351c to try, so will post some pictures when this ongoing winter ends. thankyou for all the info on this.Henry
Old 03-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #29
39deluxecp

I was just thinking the fact that the Y-block has the crankshaft up into the block probably 3 or 4 inches, where as the 351c has no skirts, but is flush with the bottom of the block. So the distance from the center of the crank to the bottom of the 292 t-bird oil pan will be about the same as the distance of the center of the crank to the bottom of the oil pan of a 351c.make sense?? The bottom of the oil pump on my 351c is about 6" from the block. can anyone tell me the distance of the 292 t-bird pan from the center of the crank to the bottom of the oil pan? thanks,Henry
Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #30
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 T-Bird early(1954) VIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordrodsteven View Post

Huh??? I'm confused!? I have a 302 automatic (Windsor) in my '55. The engine and transmission are out of an "80 Thunderbird and it is definitely rear sump oil pan. My car had already been setup for a 289.
The 5.0L oil pan for a FOX body was a dual sump. The front sump allowed for the pump and the rear sump for the oil pickup.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #31
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39deluxecp View Post
. . . can anyone tell me the distance of the 292 t-bird pan from the center of the crank to the bottom of the oil pan? thanks,Henry
Reaching past the radiator and working around the front motor mount, as close a measurement as I could get with the car now assembled and sitting on the garage floor... it's 5 & 1/4 inches total from the crank center down to the level of the lowest front edge of the pan.
The T-Bird oil pan itself is slightly less than 2 inches deep at the front and tapers deeper toward the rear. Please don't cut or buy anything based on my (5.25) front measurement without double checking it on another Bird.
Maybe someone else can measure a leftover Y-block timing cover or engine block?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pan - front c.jpg (64.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg oil pan - side & bottom c.jpg (59.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4 lower bolts, timing cover c.jpg (49.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-02-2019 at 07:27 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote