Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default Toyota chassis

I have a 1987 Toyota short bed pickup, 103 " WB. Has anyone ever set a coupe body on one ? I have a cracked block in the A & this is a chance better motor & 4 speed.

Lefthander 1929 now
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Toyota chassis

If it was a good idea you would see them at car shows. Have you ever seen one at a car show? The only time I saw something like you propose at a show it looked terrible.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:17 AM   #3
J Franklin

Sell the Toyota and use the money for another engine block. Easier in the long run
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:44 AM   #4
dumb person

Most of the time that looks really dumb.

E.G. this model A replica.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
Patrick L.

My take, if its made by Toyota its junk. I've owned 3. Thats 3 too many.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
My take, if its made by Toyota its junk. I've owned 3. Thats 3 too many.
Funny how people's opinion varies. I have had at least 4 Toyotas and 2 currently. They have/are all given great service. Toyota has a great reptation, at least over here. You don't want to know what is considered junk here.
What the OP is suggesting is somewhere between a hot rod and a restoration, We call it a restorod! I don't know what the rules are over there for putting something like that on the road but here, it wouldn't be easy to get it approved - it would have to comply with all of the current design rules because it would be considered a new car.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
77Birdman

Its one thing to transplant the motor, if it fits then that would be ok, I suppose. But im not sure I would want to do a complete chassis swap (synchro- in this case im sure it would be pretty easy, but it would most likely be registered as a Toyota, not a model a). I know a fellow that put a yota motor in a 60's healy that he uses for a daily driver. He says its much more dependable than original. If one has a Model A, and wants it drive like a Toyota, then sell the Model A and buy a Toyota.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
History

It'd be interesting as to how it would perform with the Toyota 4 cylinder. Sure wouldn't sound right as the model a engine has an awesome sound.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
mike657894

When you lose the wheels your car looks like a hot rod. I would swap the engine instead of chassis. But A motors are cheap if your willing to run something a little less than fresh but still running. Rebuilds are expensive when you just hand off an engine and get back a gem. Put up a want add for used A engines in your area or on here. you may have someone trying to nearly give you an engine cause they dont want to sell someone a possible lemon and "its just been sitting".
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
ronn

craigslist motors run 200-600.

have bought a few good motors..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
It'd be interesting as to how it would perform with the Toyota 4 cylinder. Sure wouldn't sound right as the model a engine has an awesome sound.
Years ago someone stopped by my house while looking at neighborhood Christmas lights. Very stock looking and sounding Model A. We got to talking and it turned out he was running a 153 cubic inch Chevy II engine in his car. It turns out most if not all of the sound comes from the muffler. Please note this is an observation and not an endorsement of doing a chassis swap which I think is a terrible idea. Just a late engine swap is not quite as bad but I think there are better engine choices than the Toyota.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
holdover

If you just had the body and not a complete car with a defective engine, I would say take the measurements and see if it could be done. Having a car with a defective engine for value sake I would replace the engine. I am sure the toyota chassis and engine would ride and handle well, but it will no longer be a model A, only in looks.

Now with all that being said I am of the opinion that most any engine can be put in most anything, with enough time , money, and welding. As an example I have a '84 RX7 with a built 302/ 5 speed, with '95 corvette front and rear suspension. I call it Identity Crisis, my grand son calls it The Silver Bullet, my son states Mazda made it, Ford shakes it, and Chevy brakes it. fastest car and best handling package I have ever owned.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
vern hodgson

Ditto on the muffler
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
Jim Brierley

The wheelbase matches up, check to see if the frame is flat like an A. Do a lot of measuring before starting such a project. Keep in mind that such a car will only please you, nobody else will like or approve of such a vehicle. I'm into performance A's, using vintage equipment made for the A, when I first starting going to A events, I was shunned by many people there. It has gotten much better thru the years, but some still think I have butchered the A. Kind of silly when you see all the mods made by those that tour in their A's.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Years ago someone stopped by my house while looking at neighborhood Christmas lights. Very stock looking and sounding Model A. We got to talking and it turned out he was running a 153 cubic inch Chevy II engine in his car. It turns out most if not all of the sound comes from the muffler. Please note this is an observation and not an endorsement of doing a chassis swap which I think is a terrible idea. Just a late engine swap is not quite as bad but I think there are better engine choices than the Toyota.

Charlie Stephens
This reminds me of "The Absent Minded Professor", whom had a 'flubber' powered Model T, he put a sound shaker so people wouldn't know the difference. LOL
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
Keith True

Quite a few guys did stuff with Toyota chassis in the 90's.Somebody made a fiberglass C-cab panel truck body shell years ago,that made a neat looking hot rod.I've seen a couple of those done using the Toyota chassis,one of them used the 4X4 chassis.I've seen Fiat Topolino glass bodies on Toyota chassis,and also Austin Bantam glass bodies.It was a popular chassis to use for somebody that wanted a neat little car to bounce around it.For bigger power everybody wanted S-10 chassis for a while.The S-10 chassis demand seems to have died down around here right now.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #17
Railcarmover
BANNED

whats cracked? I've got a few blocks and heads,we can fix you up with something..Im in sacramento
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #18
Synchro909

Years ago, the Mitsubishi L300 chassis was popular for just this sort of thing but as they disappear from the road and parts become harder to get, they have fallen out of favour. For how long will parts be available for the Toyota? We know that new replacement parts are still available for Ford over 100 years old. While the option might sound appealing in the short term, it might end in tears. (or on the tip)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
Rex_A_Lott

Ive seen several nice Model A's gutted to build a hot rod. Find somebody doing that and you could likely get the whole running gear for a good price, they typically just want the body and the title.
Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #20
rotorwrench

Would it be called a Totyotay or a Fordota. I like the Chevy 153 or maybe an iron duke transplant idea better.

Get one of Tod's new engine blocks when they become available. Put a B crank in it and be much happier.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote