Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default One of those, used to be, 20 minute jobs

I just laid the wrenches down after spending about 4 hours changing out the condenser on my crab distributor. Some of the time, granted, was spending time looking for tools and screws, nuts and tools dropped on the floor, but most of it is just not moving as easily as I used to. I finally gave out of energy, and will install the clips to hold it together "at a later time". LOL. Getting old ain't fun, but laughing at myself is a blast.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: One of those, used to be, 20 minute jobs

You're not alone brother. I find myself doing piddly jobs and ignoring the major projects because I'm just not up to it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
You're not alone brother. I find myself doing piddly jobs and ignoring the major projects because I'm just not up to it.

I've had the condenser for about a week. Just getting up the energy is the hard part.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
petehoovie

I find that if my heart is not into it (desire), "getting up the energy" to do a job it is not a consideration....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Ken/Alabama

Keep up the good work Lawson!
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
big job

Thats why I mounted the condenser on the coil on the distrubutor terminal. Due to
todays junk condensers, now it's a minute job. (a little box with screwdriver and little
terminal wrench with extra condensers in the glove box)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Robert/Texas

Back in the 1950's there was an auto electric shop in down town Houston that I visited many times. They would set up Ford distributors for you as you wished (driving or racing). It cost $1.50 if they removed and replaced it and 50 cents if you just brought it in. They were really fast. It has always seemed to take me forever to r&r one.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Step-down

I found the key is to just keep pushing as we all must
Old 06-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
chap52

I've learned to "anticipate". Now when I am getting ready to crawl under my truck I grab every tool I think I may need, slide them under the truck then slowly slither under. Then I spend a few moments trying to remember what I was planning on doing under there, give up, crawl out and start retrieving all those darn tools from under the truck. Find something solid to lean on to help me get up, put the tools away, go in the house get a cold glass of iced tea., go take a 20 minute nap.
I refer to this as my "exercise class."
Phew, I am exhausted just thinking about all this. Now what was I doing?
Have a Blessed Day, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
B-O-B

Good one Chap I'm with ya. Getting up is the tough part.

This getting old ain't fer sissies.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Joe Immler

I agree. Getting old is tough but it beats the alternative. If you hear moaning coming from my bedroom it is just me trying to get up and off the bed. And as far as restoring another old Ford my motto is "buy it done and avoid the fun." I still love working in the garage though.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Don

Guess I’m not the only one that can’t do much any more,takes for ever for small jobs,have the rearend out from under my new 36pickup,fora change to 3.78,mightget it back on road beforsummer over! One bolt at a time!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
Anteek29

B-O-B said it well for ME too!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
jim1932

Then there are those of us with energy but without the experience and knowledge.....about the same result.....
Old 06-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
Bubsyouruncle

So, here is a project story.

I have been fussing with my old Ford and have determined that the fuel pump push-rod has worn down and is now too short for providing sufficient stroke to keep the carburetor fuel bowl full. I got a used 38 caliber pistol cartridge and filed the end down to make a thin spacer for the top of the push-rod. I disconnected the line between the fuel pump and the carburetor and removed the fuel pump and push-rod, put the spacer on the top end of the push-rod, and went to return it into the engine.

And proceeded to drop the spacer into the valve train! In a location where I could not get to it with my gripper retrieval tool. And, since the spacer was brass, could not use my magnetic retrieval tool. Screwed, blued, and tattooed.

My 10 minute job has now turned into maybe a 2-hour job.

Have to remove the intake manifold to get at the lost part. Could have left it in there without too much chance of damage in the future, but that would be inelegant and I would never be comfortable driving any great distance because at the worst possible time it would find its way between a lifter and a valve stem.

To remove the intake manifold I have to remove the generator and the ignition coil and the vacuum connection pipe to the distributor and one of the two radiator hoses.

So, off comes the generator (That thing is a lot heavier than it used to be!) and the ignition coil (two bolts and two wire connections).
Off with the radiator hose, quite a struggle because time has welded it to the engine and the radiator. Carefully disconnect the vacuum line to the distributor. Remove 20 cap screws. Lift off the intake manifold. Retrieve lost part. Put manifold back on the engine.

Last three sentences elapsed time less than two minutes. First four sentences elapsed time about 45 minutes, what with stubborn bolts and up and down stairs securing proper sized wrenches.

Now the perfectionist kicks in. I get out a wire wheel and a tap and die set and clean out the bolt holes and the screw threads. Takes about an hour, but so what. When I reassemble it will be factory-fresh. Oil the bolts and torque them to 23 Ft-lbs in a criss-cross pattern starting at the middle of the manifold.

Reinstall the vacuum line. Reinstall the ignition coil. Install the fuel pump and push-rod and spacer without dropping the spacer into the intake manifold. Reconnect the fuel line between fuel pump and carburetor. Reconnect the ignition wiring.

Pick up the radiator hose to reinstall it and metal pieces fall out of the hose. The radiator hose used to have a wire spring running from one end to the other internally to keep it from collapsing under vacuum pressure when the engine was running. This spring has rusted away in places. I inspect the engine head attachment point and use several different tools to remove broken off pieces of this spring from inside the head. The other one will be just like this one.

Road trip to secure new hoses.

NAPA has them but have to be ordered. Will be able to pick them up on the 12th.

So far, other than the usual bumps on my old skin I have not suffered any injuries, but I still have to install the two radiator hoses.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
Dodge

Leave it there and use another casing. You wouldn’t believe the things I have found in motors I have torn down over the years.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #17
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
I've learned to "anticipate". Now when I am getting ready to crawl under my truck I grab every tool I think I may need, slide them under the truck then slowly slither under. Then I spend a few moments trying to remember what I was planning on doing under there, give up, crawl out and start retrieving all those darn tools from under the truck. Find something solid to lean on to help me get up, put the tools away, go in the house get a cold glass of iced tea., go take a 20 minute nap.
I refer to this as my "exercise class."
Phew, I am exhausted just thinking about all this. Now what was I doing?
Have a Blessed Day, Chap
I had a mechanic mentor that worked in the Martin Bomber Plant near Omaha, Ne. during WWII. After the war was won, he and a partner opened an auto repair shop. The partner's tool box was a coal scuttle with the big "bottom lip".
When he had to work under an automobile he tipped the scuttle and with one big swoosh laid his complete tool set into the work area. Now days the car is in the air and a guy can just step back to his 8K toolbox with very little effort!
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
Tinker

As we get older we hopefully have more leisure time from working a 9-5.

Tomorrow is another day. It'll be there for you.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
Lawson Cox

Spent another couple of hours today, undoing a couple of things I did "the other day". I couldn't get the condenser/wiring back on the distributor with the distributor on the engine. Pull distributor cap snap clips on with the distributor unattached to engine, then fiddle with positioning distributor on engine. Took a couple of hours off for afternoon nap and supper. Will piddle some more after supper. LOL

Old 06-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #20
Clem Clement

I'm with you guys. There ain't no 20 minute job. I busted the accelerator arm off'n a 94. IU have to remove the carb and completely dissemble it agin the get the replacement arm in.

I did get AC in my garage last week. Now to sneak a pillow under my 40Merc
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote