Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
adavis

Default 1932 headlight socket same as 1933-34 socket?

I'm restoring my 1934 commercial headlights and have a problem. The spring clip on one of the main bulb sockets popped off and I can not get it reattached. The fiber board in the socket is old (obviously) and it no longer retains the spring clip when you push it into the reflector. After some searching online I can't seem to find anyone selling 1933/34 headlight sockets, but I can find 1932 sockets from numerous vendors. The pictures that I find of the 1932 sockets look very similar if not identical to my 34 socket, but I can't find anyone that know if they will interchange. I realize that the wiring to the headlight is different, but is the socket the same? If not, does anyone know where I can buy a new 1934 correct socket? Thanks for the help.....
adavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 1932 headlight socket same as 1933-34 socket?

The 32 will work but the repo sockets are terrible.Years ago when I restored a set of orig 32 lights I bought the repo sockets.The metal thickness is slightly thinner and not round so the bulb does not fit in snugly.Hence the bulb wiggles in the socket and shorts out.I replaced them with orig NOS 33-34's that I found.33-34's tmk are not reproduced.Check with Southside Obsolete in MN or All Ford Parts in Campbell ,CA sometimes has those orig parts .Just Google them and you will have their contact info.You might run a wanted ad for a used socket and its pigtail also.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
Bubsyouruncle

Yup.
Have the same problem.
Interestingly, I think (Davidg?) that the sockets riveted into the headlight bodies are the same between late 30 and 32.
Is there some way to shim them so they don't slip???
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
DavidG

Sorry, but I am not very familiar with late '30-'31 head lamps, but the general design of the socket secured in the head lamp housing by the riveted-in retainer for the threaded stud for the attachment of the lamp to the head lamp bar is the same.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
adavis

For anyone that comes across this thread looking for 1933-34 headlight sockets I can say that they ARE the same as 1932 sockets. I ordered a pair and it is true that new sockets aren't very good quality but they are better than nothing and seem to be working fine ......

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
adavis is offline   Reply With Quote