Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #21
Franchise_24

Default Re: Title Trouble ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT View Post
Like Franchise 24 posted, we need an out of state inspection to get a title for a vehicle from out of state. However, this doesn't necessarily mean a trip to the BMV inspection site. In our area, at least one new car dealership will perform the out of state inspection and fill out the form. This may be an option in your area too, Marty. Sometimes who you know can play a big part in how easy this could be.
That is exactly right. There are a couple dealers here in Mansfield that do it, and I ended up finding out a friend from church knew someone personally who did it, so I had them do it for me sine the car wasn't running at the time.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

No matter "what" on Earth needs to be inspected, (whether it be from a range of Final Code Approval Residential Electrical Inspections to Medical HIV Inspections), whenever considering final approval from any type of Government Inspectors, one can rest assure that every different specific county's requirements may be slightly different, and every different individual Government Inspector's requirements may be slightly different.

Two (2) Experiences just with Model A's:

1. My registered but "untitled", (and never titled), 1930 Town Sedan took 15 minutes to secure a title from DMV.

2. From the same DMV, my 1930 clear titled Coupe took 20 years after hiring attorneys, Justices of the Peace, and later a District Court Order with a threat to take this issue up with the State and Federal Supreme Court.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-05-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
Res731

I brought a car from jersey and had the title verified with vin by a local dealer. I would call around for a ford dealer who might be familiar with a model a to do the verification. I know some people have simply stamped their own vin number on the firewall and had the bmv verify since they aren't familiar with the car anyhow and don't know any better.
Res731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #24
marty in Ohio

Well, I just heard from the buyer of the car from Illinois. The promised title never arrived and he heard today from the seller who told him they are sending a truck to pick up the car. Something stinks here I think.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

Marty,

Please advise the buyer to first get his money back, (not just any ordinary check), prior to them picking up the car.

With your comment in reply #24, i.e., "Something stinks here I think."; if he gets his money back before they remove this car, please let him know that after the car is gone, the foul odor will disappear within 24 hours or less.

Just hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #26
marty in Ohio

H.L.,
The retired banker in me has already advised him to have the money wired to his account before the car is loaded up. You are right, the smell will soon go away and then our "A Team" will help him find a good car at a reasonable price. Thanks again for all your support !!
Marty
Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #27
cpf240

I, as well as others here, would love to hear "the rest of the story", assuming the buyer ever gets the full story.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #28
Joe K

Yes, possession is still 9/10ths of the law.

Were this my town I might park it at the Police Station and have them pick it up there.

But I know the Chief.

Joe K
Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #29
Franchise_24

Keep us posted on how this plays out Marty.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #30
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Marty,

In your original post entitled "Title Trouble ??"; and in your first statement, "Could this spell trouble?":

Many will agree that you have both wonderful past learning experiences and a rare ability to predict the possible outcome of a raw deal.

In my opinion, the best part about your sharing this event, (for those who understood what you were doing), is that you were attempting to teach many what can happen when we try to buy a Model A, (sight unseen), over the internet and phone.

Thanks for your sharing your most informative:

A Part One (1), "The Original Phone Purchasing Deal"; followed by,

B. Part Two (2) , "Reversing the Deal"; and,

C. Part Three (3), "Our "A Team" will help him find a good car at a reasonable price."

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-09-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #31
marty in Ohio

I just found out that the Model A came from Baltria Classic Cars in St. Charles, Ill. I don't want to spread any disparaging rumors about this firm but just to tell you Ford Barners where this deal was from.
Marty
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #32
Bob C

Here is some BBB feed back https://www.bbb.org/chicago/business...wtype=negative

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #33
barkleydave

After reading complaints... still received an A+ from BBB Are you kidding me?

Several years ago I tried to buy a car. Looked good until..... I asked him to fax me a photo copy of the title for verification of VIN number etc. Refused to do it offered to mail title after I had paid for the car. That was the end of the negotiation.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #34
denniskliesen

All of the cars I have bought out of state I personally inspected myself before buying. I had a pickup that I bought last year and had the owner send me a photo of the title and vin on the block. I took it, the photo, to a private contractor licensed to do DMV transactions and asked them their opinion and they told me it shouldn't be a problem. The vin stamped on the block looks very amateur but they said it matches the title. So I drove up a 1,000 miles away, needed a little vacation and looked at the truck. After getting it home I found a vin on the frame, did not match the engine, and a vin on the cab that matched the frame. When they did the vin verification beings I was getting a title in my state different from the state I bought it from the inspector asked me, " so what do you want to have on the title as the vin, They can put on the title whatever I want" I went with the cab and frame numbers as they were, can I say, more accurate to the vehicle. As I've said before many times never buy until you have looked at it in person and meet with the owner selling the vehicle and they have the correct paperwork necessary. People can not be trusted over the phone, email, etc.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #35
Charlie Stephens

Last car I sold I emailed the buyer a clear photo of the VIN plate, the Title and the Certificate of Non Operation. I think that is the way it should be done.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #36
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Many sad stories everywhere in every State about not being able to obtain Model A titles ..... seeking advice from local experienced people and being extra cautious is never a bad idea.

Like with Dennis, many times a private contractor licensed to do DMV work can call one's State DMV, explain special concerns, and seek "who" to visit to legally obtain a possible questionable clear title.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-09-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #37
jm29henry

Marty, I never want anyone to get ripped off so I did a little research on Baltria classic car ,and they sell car on consignment its seems possible that the seller was not honest with Baltria and they have no other choice but to return your money becouse the seller can not produce a title for the ???? Year model a ford .the pics on the computer showed a brown 1930 is that the car your friend bought?
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #38
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
As I've said before many times never buy until you have looked at it in person and meet with the owner selling the vehicle and they have the correct paperwork necessary. People can not be trusted over the phone, email, etc.
Isn't it a pity we have reached this state?
I've bought 2 cars out of the US, neither of which I saw before they arrived in Melbourne. (One took 18 months from purchase to arrival due to strikes on the US wharves and a dispute between agents.) Very happy with both of them but I did get feedback on them from a trusted friend on site who knew the cars. As for titles, we don't have them so all I was interested in was "Does it have clear title?" The only reason I needed to know that was because without a title, it can't leave the US and the title is cancelled as soon as it does. It took a while to get my head around this title thingummy.
As for people not able to be trusted, the purchase of a Model A fell through for me when the seller refused to give me the details I needed to send him the money. His bank said that he should never give those details to a foreigner. He couldn't grasp the fact that to 95 % of people, in the world, HE was a foreigner! His paranoia (and his bank's) cost him a good sale.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #39
marty in Ohio

I've heard quite a lot about Baltria.
jm29henry, I'm not sure if the car you saw on the computer is the one or not. The only Model A I saw online was a 1930 Deluxe Roadster. The car in question is a light brown and dark brown tudor which was sold as a '29. The car, I think, is a '30. It has a '30 radiator shield, but a '31 instrument panel and '31 one piece splash shields. It has 21 inch wheels. It looks to be a collection of parts. It has no wiper motor and the interior mirror is wrong. The car has no rain gutters. The engine was supposed to have been rebuilt, but it looked pretty gunky to me. Before we found out about the title problem we reset the points and timed it before it would even start. The shipper said they drove it on to the trailer, but that was doubtful.
Marty
Old 06-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #40
ronn

I dont give out vin numbers until car is paid for, so many on this site would never buy from me.

In some states, one can walk in with a vin # and walk out with a title. dont need to sell anything that bad.....

this story had a good outcome at least.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote