Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #21
Chippy Minton

Default Re: Optima battery that will not hold a charge

I have an Optima battery and charge itvwith a cheap and nasty 6volt charger and it works fine. I don't know where it was made but it does the job very well. If you want to know if the discharge is down to the battery or a fault in the car's electrical system disconnect it before charging and checking if it holds its charge.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #22
Synchro909

When I bought my 1930 CCPU from Arizona a while ago, I had owned it for 18 months before I saw it. Boy, was I glad to see it but a strike on the wharves in US, a dispute over money between my agent and the guy he worked with in LA contributed to the agonising delay.
When it finally did arrive, I was pleasantly surprised to find a Red topped Optima battery in it. As part of my pre-start up check, I put a meter across the battery and found the voltage to be good. It cranked and started the motor with no trouble and still does. That battery had stood for 18 months (with a lead off it so there was no drain) but it survived apparently undamaged. I have no idea how old it is but that was enough to leave me impressed by Optima Batteries.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
antiquepa

Post #16 is right. when I was at a Columbus good guy event there was a rep. from optima batterys that had a class on charging that battery. I beleave now they have a charger just for this battery. This was years ago but that is what I was told,. it had to be charged off another battery!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
dareheart

Check to see if you have a stuck cutout. When you charge the battery it will get hot if it’s stuck.
dareheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #25
Bruce Adams

Adding to MODEL A TONY's comment, OPTIMA's can't be charged like other batteries when DEAD. They either have to be charged on a proprietary charger or charged IN LINE with another battery of like voltage.
They can be charged normally when not dead.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #26
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have always used a old(40s) stupid charger, didn't care if the optima was totally dead----- same for the stock A generator charging system, hand cranked it from totally dead, went for a drive, parked it after 1 hour drive, months later it started, never used a maintainer charger, I do have a higher than normal charge rate set (14amps)--- my secret to long battery life, on long distances I turn on the headlights---- And the neglect method, don't do anything, this got me 16 years out of the last optima
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote