Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
acereske

Default Battery purchase & best shut off location

36 Ford fordor sedan humpback - 6 volt positive ground - I don't get to drive it regularly and it is stored where there is no electricity. I need a battery replacement but have not been able to find the right size (measurement wise) locally. Since I cannot use a battery tender l must install a battery disconnect but don't know where to locate in the car and what type to purchase. Thanking you all in advance for you coming advice. Al
acereske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: Battery purchase & best shut off location

Is there a window where your car is stored? If so you can get a solar charger but a battery disconnect is a good idea for safety reasons.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
tubman

A lot of people don't like them, but for something like this, I'll use the ones that mount right on the battery like a terminal and have a green knob to make or break the connection. I use them twice a year, once in the fall to break the circuit and once in the spring to re-establish it. In the spring, I remove the threaded knob completely and make sure it and the female threads in the terminal itself are bright and shiny. I then put it back in and make sure everything is nice and right. I have been doing this for years on several cars with absolutely no problems. If I was looking for an anti-theft device and used it continuously, I wouldn't even consider one of those. Everything has it's place.

For a battery, I would usually suggest an Optima, but they are too tall to fit in a '36 battery box. The box can be modified and a faux Ford script case used, but that adds complications that the O/P might not want to get involved with.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

For a battery, I would usually suggest an Optima, but they are too tall to fit in a '36 battery box. The box can be modified and a faux Ford script case used, but that adds complications that the O/P might not want to get involved with.
What about mounting the Optima battery on it’s side ?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

NAPA< AutoZone, Tractor Supply should be able to get you the right size battery. I recently got a GRP 2 at NAPA for my 40.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acereske View Post
36 Ford fordor sedan humpback - 6 volt positive ground - I don't get to drive it regularly and it is stored where there is no electricity. I need a battery replacement but have not been able to find the right size (measurement wise) locally. Since I cannot use a battery tender l must install a battery disconnect but don't know where to locate in the car and what type to purchase. Thanking you all in advance for you coming advice. Al
I'm using a 6V Red Top Optima battery that's mounted vertically in the stock '35 battery box, about 2" below the original battery rails/cross brace mounts. This puts the top terminals below the original battery cover/door. The previous owner of my car mounted a quality rotory kill switch under the driver's seat by drilling a hole in the raised area of the sheet metal floor. I would have preferred mounting it elsewhere, but still accessable to the driver, while still in the driver's seat. I have heard some bad things (failures that could lead to a fire) about those inexpensive cutoff/kill switches that mount to a battery post/terminal, and usually has a green rotary knob. There are 2/3 previous posts with pictures of the Optima battery box mounting that I use.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
corvette8n

I bought an old Cole Hersee switch made in the USA, stay away from the imported ones the quality is not there. My battery is under the hood on my '41 so I mounted the switch through the firewall and the switch is under the dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.1 KB, 71 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
Juergen

Unless you have a electric clock, which drains the battery when everything is off, I don't see how a switch will solve your problem. With all the switches off and the contacts open, you should not have any battery drainage. The battery voltage is dieing internally so a switch won't solve that problem. Use a test light to see if you do have battery drainage and if so the switch is a cover up solution.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
tubman

Excellent point "JUergen". My problem is that I have an absolute fetish about the clocks in my cars running ad keeping good time.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
Is there a window where your car is stored? If so you can get a solar charger but a battery disconnect is a good idea for safety reasons.
the window would need to be a south facing one to get enough exposure.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Tinker

Red top optima for me. I just disconnect it when it's not in use.

If storing for a long while. Months or over the winter I just take the battery out and put it in the shop. Charge it once when I shelf it and once before putting it back in the vehicle for the summer.

Best of luck!

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
Unless you have a electric clock, which drains the battery when everything is off, I don't see how a switch will solve your problem. With all the switches off and the contacts open, you should not have any battery drainage. The battery voltage is dieing internally so a switch won't solve that problem. Use a test light to see if you do have battery drainage and if so the switch is a cover up solution.
Not in my humble opinion.

A battery cutoff switch provides a safety feature from short circuits, or high current leakage that can happen during times of high humidity, and other unforseen situations that, left unattended, can cause fires leading to a complete loss of vehicle(s), including a garage, that's possibly attached to a home, a barn, an out building, or any type of storage facility or other structure. They are also considered as good theft deterrent devices if switch is located in a difficult place to find quickly. They are also very good to have when working in an engine compartment with tools that could inadvertently bridge live wires to ground.
Think about it, I'm sure there are other good reasons for a quality battery kill switch as well, even though you may not have an electric clock draining a battery.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Excellent point "JUergen". My problem is that I have an absolute fetish about the clocks in my cars running ad keeping good time.

So, in view of your UNDERSTANDABLE fetish (I'm the same way), what do you do in the fall when you open the various battery disconnects to keep your clocks runnin' on the money? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #14
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
So, in view of your UNDERSTANDABLE fetish (I'm the same way), what do you do in the fall when you open the various battery disconnects to keep your clocks runnin' on the money? DD
Worry about it the next spring.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #15
Jack E/NJ

>>>I don't get to drive it regularly and it is stored where there is no electricity.>>>

Sounds like you only drive it once in a blue moon. When you're ready to drive it more, buy a new 6 volter with the right dimensions from tractor supply, install it and forget it except maybe for removing the ground terminal. You don't need a switch or solar power. Just take the battery home with you and keep it on a tender if you expect the car to set till the next blue moon. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #16
jimTN

Mount the cut off switch thru the floor right in front of the front seat, driver side. That way its hidden from casual eyes and handy for you to reach in an emergency. Rural king stocks good 6v batterys for something like 43 dollars. I have them in my cars and have not problems.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #17
richard crow

every where i went to buy a 6v batt they said that they are just garanted 6 mounts
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

https://www.elecdirect.com/cole-hers...acts-ul-listed

Switch is no longer made in USA anymore.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
https://www.elecdirect.com/cole-hers...acts-ul-listed

Switch is no longer made in USA anymore.
Yea that's why you need to look for an NOS one when they were made here.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
swedishsteel

I have a '36 tudor humpy. I glued a plastic battery box to the floor in the trunk and bought the biggest tractor 6 volt battery that would fit in it. Used welding cable for cables and used battery connectors that have the wing nut. In the fall I just unscrew the wing nut on the ground side and disconnect the cable. In the spring I put a charger or maintainer on the battery when I think about it and with a little drink of gas down the carb, she fires right up. Only takes a couple minutes to open the trunk lid and do the work. I don't have a shut off, but would probably mount one close to the battery in the trunk some where. I have them on a couple other machines and agree that you should get a quality one as the cheap ones lose amps across the connection.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote