Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Cad5670

Default New to the forum and questions (lot!)

Hello,

I am new to the Model A and the Ford Barn but have already found lots of info here. Got some other cars and bikes but no one seems so well explored as the Model A! I got my -31 Coupe a couple of years ago but haven't been able to start on the project until recently. It is fairly complete but missing some ignition parts and other stuff so I haven't started it yet. I purchased Les Andrews Mechanics Handbook which has been of great help but I still have lots of questions!
My current focus is to start up the engine, then look over brakes and chassie. The body is off so very easy to get to everything. Before trying to start up the engine I pulled the oil pan and that was lucky, what a mess! Saw the trick to drop the pan on the floor to release the baffle and that worked like a charm. But apart from the baffle there were also the spring under the oil pump, corroded in pieces and also another piece I don't know were it belongs, see pics.

So, some questions:

1. This little clip was found in the oil pan, what is it? See pics below.

2. The oil pump cover was heavily corroded at the outer dia, can that be ground down to the dia of the oil pump housing or does that affect the suction ability of the pump?

3. Same with the tin cover over the pump net, can it be shortened a bit to remove the corroded bottom part?

4. What is the thread size in the block just outside the oil pump? Les Andrews book says it is some strange thread I've never heard of.

5. Is there supposed to be gaskets at the oil pump bottom cover and at the tin cover where it attaches to the pump body?

6. One of the ears for the screw that secure the tin cover to the pump body is broken in half. It was a screw installed and it engages the threads in the piece that is remaining on the pump but didn't need much effort to remove. Can I leave this screw out or repair the pump with JB Weld or similar? Don't want to weld on the pump and don't want to drop a screw or have any JB Weld break off.

7. The valve clearance is from .030" to .040"(!) on all valves. I have inspected the cam from underneath and no wear on the cam, looks and feels good. It is non-adjustable lifters. What can cause this enourmous clearence?

8. Is "Emergency brake" the same as the parking brake? Is it really used as Emergency brake (ie. is the service brake that unreliable that an Emergency brake is needed?)?

Sorry, lots of questions but I am really thrilled by this little car, so simple and fun to work on.

Thanks,
Hans
Sweden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FoundInOilPan2.jpg (48.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg FoundInOilPan1.jpg (55.4 KB, 157 views)
Cad5670 is offline   Reply With Quote