Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
Sal

Default Re: 46-47-48 Ford Elephant Ears

This is what the deflector looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104.jpg (34.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 105.jpg (31.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 106.jpg (24.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Sal; 03-19-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
37 Coupe

Default Re: 46-47-48 Ford Elephant Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
My understanding is that those accessories listed in the catalogue were contemporary with the 46-48's and available during those model years. The accessories listed in the Green Bible (turn signals, magnetic drain plug, hydraulic jack, fender shield/skirts, and exhuast delector) that were not in the accessories catalogue were made later (by the time that book was published in November 1950) to retrofit the 46-48.
Interesting point on accesories shown for the 1942-1948 Ford in the Green Bible not neccessarily making them "correct" . The turn signal kit 6A-18440 was actually the 1949-1950 Ford turn signal that clamped on steering column,for those two years Ford used the part # prefix OA. I had a very nice original and low mileage 1946 Ford coupe that I had bought in 1971 from the second owner but I knew the original owner. The second owner had the 1949-1950 Fomoco SXTS-B turn signal installed by the local Ford dealer around the time in Ohio that new cars were mandated to have turn signals factory equipped,it wasn't made law that earlier cars had to be retrofitted but some did either for safety or convenience of leaving window up in the winter. By 1951 Ford had offered the built in or integral turn signal,I don't know if it was an option or a safety standard. I have always liked and used the 49-50 Ford clamp on switch and have used them on numerous old Fords all of which have the 1 1/2' diameter steering column tube. The SXTS-B was supplied to Ford by RBM made in my hometown Lancaster,Ohio probably other locations also. They show up on Ebay all the time for all different prices,most sellers do not put them in the proper catagory to sell,I was lucky to buy my last one a NOS one for the opening bid as no one else bid on it. A guy at last Auburn V8 meet was asking $500.00 for refurbished ones and a website I just happened on a guy has NOS ones and wants $1500.00 each he has lots of other Ford accessories@ wwwlonebend.com. Guess that is why a lot of guys just clamp on the China made one.

Last edited by 37 Coupe; 03-19-2013 at 11:13 AM.
37 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)