Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
29delivery
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: hellinois
Posts: 119
Default 1936 ford diff gear change

Hi Guys,I'm planning a ring and pinion change in a 36 ford and wondering about any special tools I may need, Thanks
29delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
alanwoodieman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: upstate SC
Posts: 2,115
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

did that not too long ago. what gears are you going to use? remember the splines on the drive shaft and the pinion are different requiring an adapter. we bored out and installed a drive shaft coupling into the original hollow 36 drive shaft. since we still have the 21 stud engine we went from 4:11 to 3:78--we talked about a 3:54 but decided against it because we have hills and the owner really did not want to go that fast anyway!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #3
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 656
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

As mentioned in post #2 the pinion if the rear is the original 36 more than likely will be 10 spline any new ring and pinion sets are only available with six splines. The 36 drive shaft is a tube type the female pinion end coupling is welded to this tube so theres a problem when changing the gears to deal with when it comes to the pinion spline count.
Ronnireoadster
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Masterton, New Zealand
Posts: 2,532
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Special tools; hub puller, and a spring spreader would be handy too. Tools to remove and replace the oil seals inside axle housings. A press for removing old pinion assembly from banjo
__________________
Unfortunately, two half wits don't make a whole wit!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
Lawrie
Senior Member
 
Lawrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Qld, Australia
Posts: 3,330
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

A spring balance and little pulley that is 2 inches in diameter to set the pinion preload.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 AM   #6
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Masterton, New Zealand
Posts: 2,532
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Now that's getting technical Lawrie; I hold pinion shaft in a vice and spin the banjo as hard and fast as I can. Should only spin about 3/4 turn. OK, shoot me down....I learnt that system here on the 'barn somewhere....All I know is that it works.
__________________
Unfortunately, two half wits don't make a whole wit!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #7
Terry,OH
Senior Member
 
Terry,OH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,368
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

For the pinion pre-load a pointer style torque wrench that reads in inches
The pinion nut are 1 7/8" They have to be tightened and loosened. There are two thin nuts back to back with only a thin lock plate in the middle.
A dial indicator for 0.001" with magnetic base.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
alanwoodieman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: upstate SC
Posts: 2,115
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

dxxm engineers! I am an somewhat old millwright and just use feel to set the pinion preload. If you are going to use 3:78 gears then locate and good rear axle with those gears and swap out the whole banjo and then bore the drive shaft and press in spline adapter and go for a ride. cheaper and easier in the long run
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda
Senior Member
 
Seth Swoboda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 2,844
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29delivery View Post
Hi Guys,I'm planning a ring and pinion change in a 36 ford and wondering about any special tools I may need, Thanks
29, Where do you live in Hellinois? Send me a PM if ya don't mind.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked
Senior Member
 
Bored&Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,433
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29delivery View Post
Hi Guys,I'm planning a ring and pinion change in a 36 ford and wondering about any special tools I may need, Thanks
What gear ratio are you trying to get too? I just installed a set of 3.54's in my late 32 style axle - was a bit of work, but nothing too bad as long as you're used to mechanical work, have a hydraulic press, know how to set preload and backlash, etc.. If you're NEW to all of this, then I'd recommend finding somebody who knows the ropes . . . maybe team up with them.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan
Senior Member
 
JM 35 Sedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Near Rising Sun, Maryland
Posts: 9,917
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29delivery View Post
Hi Guys,I'm planning a ring and pinion change in a 36 ford and wondering about any special tools I may need, Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
did that not too long ago. what gears are you going to use? remember the splines on the drive shaft and the pinion are different requiring an adapter. we bored out and installed a drive shaft coupling into the original hollow 36 drive shaft. since we still have the 21 stud engine we went from 4:11 to 3:78--we talked about a 3:54 but decided against it because we have hills and the owner really did not want to go that fast anyway!
I'm thinking the other guys have covered everything necessary on special tools, but would just like to mention that I rebuilt the rear in my '35 fordor sedan last summer using 3.54 gears with 6 spline pinion. I used the original '35/'36 tubular type driveshaft, and bored the ID of the 10 splined bung on pinion end to provide a press fit with a stock 6 to 6 spline coupling. We milled two openings thru to the ID, 180 apart, on the 10 splined bung, about 1/4" back from the original weld holding the bung to shaft tube, prior to pressing the 6 to 6 spline coupling in place. After the coupling was pressed in place, we welded the 6 to 6 spline couplings in place thru those two milled slots, while keeping the pin holes in the coupling and bung aligned. This locks the 6 spline coupling in place and prevents damaging/distorting at the begining of the splines if attempting to weld there.
We rebuilt the transmission using the later, '39 - '48 improved syncro gears with a 29 tooth cluster gear and an input shaft with a 15 tooth gear. This combination of trans and rear gears gives very smooth acceleration off the line in first gear, without the need to slip the clutch to get moving.
I'm also running a '35 21 stud engine, with poured babbitt mains, 0.030" over bore, and milled cast iron heads. I have no problems crossing over the mountains of Maryland, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania in high/3rd gear. With this combination, I like the 3.54 rear gears, much better than the 3.78 gears that were previously used in this car.
__________________
John

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-16-2020 at 11:30 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 PM   #12
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Masterton, New Zealand
Posts: 2,532
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

John, I've done a couple of these now, much the same as you, however, I tig weld around the seam, evident in your last photo, also drill and countersink several holes around the periphery of the original outer 'casing' and mig through them into the new 6 spline sleeve to achieve good penetration.

Setting up the driveshaft in the lathe to bore out the rear, ensures the whole assembly runs true. All in all, in my opinion, this setup is superior to the solid driveshaft setup with the centre support bearing as introduced in 37.
__________________
Unfortunately, two half wits don't make a whole wit!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:20 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan
Senior Member
 
JM 35 Sedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Near Rising Sun, Maryland
Posts: 9,917
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
John, I've done a couple of these now, much the same as you, however, I tig weld around the seam, evident in your last photo, also drill and countersink several holes around the periphery of the original outer 'casing' and mig through them into the new 6 spline sleeve to achieve good penetration.

Setting up the driveshaft in the lathe to bore out the rear, ensures the whole assembly runs true. All in all, in my opinion, this setup is superior to the solid driveshaft setup with the centre support bearing as introduced in 37.

Sounds good Brian. I agree, doing the tubular driveshaft as the pictures show, is easier and more cost effective than going.with the solid drive shaft and center bearing. I didn't think this was true at one point in time, but after doing my last rear rebuild this way, I am now a believer. I can have a tube drive shaft done for 6 spline for about the same cost as a new center bearing.
__________________
John

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-03-2020 at 02:51 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:37 AM   #14
RobR'35
Senior Member
 
RobR'35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Posts: 477
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

John,
Did u have the drive shaft checked and adjusted for true after having the 6 spline coupler installed?
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:38 AM   #15
ford38v8
Senior Member
 
ford38v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,059
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Special tools; hub puller, and a spring spreader would be handy too. Tools to remove and replace the oil seals inside axle housings. A press for removing old pinion assembly from banjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Now that's getting technical Lawrie; I hold pinion shaft in a vice and spin the banjo as hard and fast as I can. Should only spin about 3/4 turn. OK, shoot me down....I learnt that system here on the 'barn somewhere....All I know is that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I'm thinking the other guys have covered everything necessary on special tools, but would just like to mention that I rebuilt the rear in my '35 fordor sedan last summer using 3.54 gears with 6 spline pinion. I used the original '35/'36 tubular type driveshaft, and bored the ID of the 10 splined bung on pinion end to provide a press fit with a stock 6 to 6 spline coupling. We milled two openings thru to the ID, 180 apart, on the 10 splined bung, about 1/4" back from the original weld holding the bung to shaft tube, prior to pressing the 6 to 6 spline coupling in place. After the coupling was pressed in place, we welded the 6 to 6 spline couplings in place thru those two milled slots, while keeping the pin holes in the coupling and bung aligned. This locks the 6 spline coupling in place and prevents damaging/distorting at the begining of the splines if attempting to weld there.
We rebuilt the transmission using the later, '39 - '48 improved syncro gears with a 29 tooth cluster gear and an input shaft with a 15 tooth gear. This combination of trans and rear gears gives very smooth acceleration off the line in first gear, without the need to slip the clutch to get moving.
I'm also running a '35 21 stud engine, with poured babbitt mains, 0.030" over bore, and milled cast iron heads. I have no problems crossing over the mountains of Maryland, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania in high/3rd gear. With this combination, I like the 3.54 rear gears, much better than the 3.78 gears that were previously used in this car.
All of this, but with respect, a KRW type hub puller, never a three finger type.
__________________
Alan
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan
Senior Member
 
JM 35 Sedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Near Rising Sun, Maryland
Posts: 9,917
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR'35 View Post
John,
Did u have the drive shaft checked and adjusted for true after having the 6 spline coupler installed?
Yes Rob, the machinest who actually modified this driveshaft to my specs, specializes in making custom driveshafts/drivelines and the repair of most any type of driveshaft. During the process he checks for TIR, ID to OD concentricity, and balance, making any corrections as necessary.
__________________
John

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-17-2020 at 09:01 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #17
JM 35 Sedan
Senior Member
 
JM 35 Sedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Near Rising Sun, Maryland
Posts: 9,917
Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
All of this, but with respect, a KRW type hub puller, never a three finger type.
Great catch Allen, and with respect, sorry about posting all the other trivia.
__________________
John

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.