Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
draggin49

Default Looking for input /opinions

So I’ve been accumulating various parts (McCulloch supercharger , Eddie Meyer aluminum heads , cam,headers , Columbia rear,1940’s ford brakes ,F1 steering,39 trans with zephyr gears ) )for my 1932 roadster over the last year .i told myself I won’t tear the car apart until I have all the parts I was looking for to try and limit the down time . The car is running a 221 v8 flathead .

Here’s where I am unsure . I was debating if I should freshen up the motors internals before I install the supercharger,heads ,cam . The motor runs surprisingly well as is. I just don’t know the back story as far as if /when it was rebuilt , actual mileage etc.

This is my first supercharger so I figured others who have run them may have some insight regarding if I should just install it as is or put some fresh internals in my motor to know what I’m starting with.

Last edited by draggin49; 06-24-2018 at 11:42 PM.
draggin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
Talkwrench

Default Re: Looking for input /opinions

Lets just start with a compression test, vacuum gauge says? And whats the oil pressure like when hot..? Go from there.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
Lets just start with a compression test, vacuum gauge says? And whats the oil pressure like when hot..? Go from there.
You read my mind. I was gonna ask what specific tests would give me some insight on condition of the motor. I will get those 2 tests done first
Old 06-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What talkwrench says, get some data points.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
Flathead

Is it an actual 1932 motor?
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I wouldn't want to put a strain on an original 1932 V8 or even any of the old poured babbitt bearing blocks for that matter. The insert bearing blocks can take more punishment but the ones that have coolant pumps in the block would be more reliable.

The Frenzel & McCulloch superchargers are relatively tame compared to an appropriate sized roots type but they still give it some boost. I don't know if they can over boost or not. That's a lot of work to go through for the gain your going to get to drive around town.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-18-2018 at 12:42 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
Tinker

No substitute for cubic inches. I don't think I'd feel confident in putting a second story on a house without understanding if the foundation might fail. Cool or not
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
No substitute for cubic inches. I don't think I'd feel confident in putting a second story on a house without understanding if the foundation might fail. Cool or not
Yeah, a fresh bottom end would be more peace of mind . That was definitely the way I was leaning even if it’s some extra $$$. You are right I could make a lot more power cheaper with more cubic inch and a traditional overhead v8 . I just wanted to go a different route for something unique.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
Art Newland

You have to really think about what all these modifications are going to do to the drivability, and how you plan to use the car. When I was a kid and sure I was smarter than the engineers at GM, my 56 Chevy that I drove to Hi-School ended up with a very nasty 327 with triple 2GCs, Super T-10 4speed, and 4:11 rear end gears. Went like crazy in a straight line at full throttle, but with stock brakes and suspension you didn't want to have to stop or turn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arts 56.jpg (45.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #10
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin49 View Post
Yeah, a fresh bottom end would be more peace of mind . That was definitely the way I was leaning even if it’s some extra $$$. You are right I could make a lot more power cheaper with more cubic inch and a traditional overhead v8 . I just wanted to go a different route for something unique.

I understand. I was just saying if the bottom half will hold up or not. Maybe for quite a while. I don't know. Will be a nice setup.

little irrelevant story.. I acquired a 62' 390 caddy motor that came out of hearse. Super clean on wear but was sludged' up from low miles and low rpm. I let it go because it was taking space, and I know I am a flathead guy. But dang!!! Learned later the guy let it sit out in the rain and ruined the block. douchedag as he would said he'd use it. I should have kept it... water under the bridge I guess.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-19-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 AM   #11
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
You have to really think about what all these modifications are going to do to the drivability, and how you plan to use the car. When I was a kid and sure I was smarter than the engineers at GM, my 56 Chevy that I drove to Hi-School ended up with a very nasty 327 with triple 2GCs, Super T-10 4speed, and 4:11 rear end gears. Went like crazy in a straight line at full throttle, but with stock brakes and suspension you didn't want to have to stop or turn.
That’s a killer ride for high school. You hit on some VERY important things .
Today’s road speed (freeways ) are much higher than what they were back in 1932. My stock 4:11 rear makes the motor buzz pretty hard at 55mph .
I have opted to have a Columbia built . It will let me keep the low gearing to get the most out of the flathead but allow for any freeway time or wide open highway to be done at a MUCH lower rpms.
Now with the ability to go a higher mph stock brakes would not be the best decision. I have decided to upgrade the brakes on all 4 corners to better handle this additional road speed.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:43 AM   #12
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I understand. I was just saying if the bottom half will hold up or not. Maybe for quite a while. I don't know. Will be a nice setup.

little irrelevant story.. I acquired a 62' 390 caddy motor that came out of hearse. Super clean on wear but was sludged' up from low miles and low rpm. I let it go because it was taking space, and I know I am a flathead guy. But dang!!! Learned later the guy let it sit out in the rain and ruined the block. douchedag as he would said he'd use it. I should have kept it... water under the bridge I guess.
Ugh, yeah that’s super frustrating for sure . Seems so many motors end up with a similar fate due to someone just being lazy .
Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #13
Mike51Merc

Sounds like you accumulated the mother lode of rare (and therefore expensive) period-correct Ford add-on parts to be placed in a valuable car.
Why skimp on the rest of the job? A set of bearings , rings, new oil pump and gaskets are cheap and relatively easy to do.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
tubman

And the dreaded "project creep" again rears it's ugly head.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
rotorwrench

The McCulloch superchargers of that vintage had their ups & downs. McCulloch updated them as problems showed up. One was oiling. When the oil gets broken down by use, the blower starts to get noisier. They improved it early on but the worm screw drive has a tendency to wear rather quickly and the gears are unobtanium. Folks that want to use them have been having new gears fabricated by machine shops that specialize in gear hobbing and the like. I think material shortages in the early 40s sort of shut the project down at McCulloch so it only lasted for a few years. They still made superchargers but mostly for military applications. After the war, McCulloch started a company using his middle name Paxton. Those superchargers were manufactured for a long time in various configurations & model numbers.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
itsa52

This is a copy paste from a reference note I keep. Talking about the late Paxton, McCoulagh , but petty sure he has more exposure to these than most of us.

You might call Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels. He bought all the old ball drive Paxton stuff.

There's John Erb, NV, I think, that's well regarded for rebuilds. Myers Studebaker was also helpful in identifying parts and carb options.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/article.php?id=155

http://www.myersstudebaker.com
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
solidaxle

I have a perfectly good running stock 8BA and installed a S.Co.T. blower on it. I wanted to have everything set up correctly before modifying the engine. It took a lot of thought and fabrication to fit into a 32. My new plan is to leave as is till it needs rebuilding or I get bored.
If you decide to go this way just don't push that early flathead too hard.

Last edited by solidaxle; 06-20-2018 at 03:29 PM.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
BUBBAS IGNITION

I guess at my age and tons of cars over the years etc. My suggestion would be use what ya go , put it together and enjoy it.... just drive it and let it tell ya what you need.
Your other options are $$$$$$$$ to open pandoras box etc would cost a fortune for very little gain etc.....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #19
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Sounds like you accumulated the mother lode of rare (and therefore expensive) period-correct Ford add-on parts to be placed in a valuable car.
Why skimp on the rest of the job? A set of bearings , rings, new oil pump and gaskets are cheap and relatively easy to do.
Agreed , it was more a personal friend I spoke with trying to lead me to just bolting it on to the existing motor cuz it’d be quicker .
You’re right , no reason to skimp , I’m just gonna take the extra time and do all those things you mentioned and the other items I can freshen up .

Last edited by draggin49; 06-20-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #20
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
I have a perfectly good running stock 8BA and installed a S.Co.T. blower on it. I wanted to have everything set up correctly before modifying the engine. It took a lot of thought and fabrication to fit into a 32. My new plan is to leave as is till it needs rebuilding or I get bored.
Killer setup! That would’ve been my choice had my 32 not had the original v8.
Yeah , there’s definitely some work to fit that into a 32/make it work.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #21
draggin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The McCulloch superchargers of that vintage had their ups & downs. McCulloch updated them as problems showed up. One was oiling. When the oil gets broken down by use, the blower starts to get noisier. They improved it early on but the worm screw drive has a tendency to wear rather quickly and the gears are unobtanium. Folks that want to use them have been having new gears fabricated by machine shops that specialize in gear hobbing and the like. I think material shortages in the early 40s sort of shut the project down at McCulloch so it only lasted for a few years. They still made superchargers but mostly for military applications. After the war, McCulloch started a company using his middle name Paxton. Those superchargers were manufactured for a long time in various configurations & model numbers.
Great info , much appreciated. McCulloch seemed to be a pretty interesting /successful guy . I was gonna search out some of the various guys running the same one I have and see who they used to source those parts that are no longer obtainable .
Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
rotorwrench

Robert McCulloch was like Howard Hughes in a way except he wasn't as mental. His parents were very wealthy & left him the where with all to do anything he wanted too. He moved out to California as well just like Howard but he wasn't as quick to pour funds into monster projects like Howard did. He pretty much did whatever he felt like doing at the time and sold off the stuff he was bored with. He was a good engineer and had hired a lot of other good engineers. All the problems they had with the 37 thru 40 series blowers were ironed out with the VS series Paxton blowers. Variable speed made a lot more sense but it took a lot more engineering to make it work.

If you have a 39M or later unit then you should have one of the better units that McCulloch made in that era. By that time frame, they had settled the design issues to a pretty fair degree. They only thing about those blowers is the fact that you have to wind them up more to get more boost. They don't have a lot of boost going on at low RPMs. This is why they developed the variable speed drives in the later post war designs. Your going to have to have some heavier valve springs when you boost. The blower tries to force the intake valves open so they got to stay shut when they are supposed to be.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-21-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #23
Kahuna

Solid Axle
I don't understand this statement at all:
Why would anything need to be modified, etc for the S.co.T.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #24
solidaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Solid Axle
I don't understand this statement at all:
Why would anything need to be modified, etc for the S.co.T.
Modified = Souped up!

Cam, Merc crank, relieve the block.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #25
Flathead

Smile Re: Looking for input /opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
Modified = Souped up!

Cam, Merc crank, relieve the block.

Now we're talking.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #26
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
I guess at my age and tons of cars over the years etc. My suggestion would be use what ya go , put it together and enjoy it.... just drive it and let it tell ya what you need.
Your other options are $$$$$$$$ to open pandoras box etc would cost a fortune for very little gain etc.....

Ya I'm halfway with ya here. If you can spare a block, go for it. They are some tough beasts. I get just as much enjoyment out of a 37 block I know nothing about (haven't torn into it but runs great), as a do a 37 block I spent loads rebuilding. Not sure which one might implode with a "turbo" type supercharger. Maybe neither. Root might be softer but it all boils down to the systems that need to work to make it work. If I hd the parts I'd run it.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-24-2018 at 11:17 PM.