Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
sphooch

Question OK,I wanna change my......

could use some advise here , need to change out my water pump seems like a lot ,reading Les Andrews book . heres what I got..... 31 roadster, a 4 blade fan, which is bolted in [no studs] I have a stone guard on the grill, is there a way to change out the pump without removing the hood , stone guard, lights, etc. etc. or do I need to follow the book?? thanks guys THE HOOCH
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
JBill

Default Re: OK,I wanna change my......

You might get by with just tipping the radiator forward to the light bar (without removing the lights or horn), but can't do this without removing the hood and probably the radiator shell, and of course the top radiator hose. It's been awhile, so I don't recall about the shell. I think tipping the radiator forward might bend it at the bottom. Others will know.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Synchro909

The four blade fan and stone guard mean that you will not be able to change the water pump without removing the radiator. That said, the job appears more formidable before you start than it really is.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
flatford39

That's how I do it but I do remove the shell so it doesn't bend. The hood has to come off but that's the simplest part of the whole thing.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Bill G

I tried it once, and never again. Especially with a 4-blade fan. Even if you have any success at all, you will wind up scraping the heck out of your hands and knuckles on the radiator fins and as a result, bending them all out of whack. There just isn't enough room. My advice is don't short-cut it.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Start by putting a piece of cardboard over the radiator fins.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

The hood does NOT need to come off. Loosen the 2 rad support rods, cut a piece of wood log enough to support the hood when you pull the radiator towards the light bar. Insert a piece(s) of cardboard between the fan and radiator. BREAK off two opposing fan blades. Remove water pump. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
jw hash

what four blade fan do you have ? some of the ones that the fan is bolted to the hub. make it easy. if it is riveted the radiator need to come out.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

My suggestion: remove hood and stone guard and lean rad and shell forward and just see if it will come out without hurting the fins. If too tight, pull the rad.
You did not say why you have to remove the pump. If it’s just a leak, you might be able to fix it on the car.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #10
KGBnut

I've got a four-blade, and I've done it without taking the radiator out. I wouldn't recommend it. It really isn't hard to pull the radiator. It will give you an opportunity to clean some things up once it is out of the way.

However, to avoid having to do all that should you ever need to pull the water pump again, replace the original waterpump studs with these special bolt.

https://www.brattons.com/water-pump-...tud-bolts.html
Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #11
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
what four blade fan do you have ? some of the ones that the fan is bolted to the hub. make it easy. if it is riveted the radiator need to come out.

My thoughts also. I have this kind of fam and the blades do come off and get out of your way.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #12
daveymc29

Might want to put on a two bladed fan when going back together. Moves more air and don't have to remove the hood and radiator. Looks better to some.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #13
marty in Ohio

Model A friend, Bob, and I did exactly what you are doing last week. I have small fingers and could unbolt the four blade fan to get it out of the way. We loosened the rods and put a piece of cardboard between the pump and the radiator. It's tight, but it can be done. Bob took out the water pump studs and we put the new pump in with the bolts that look like studs. Just a little tip, put some gasket sealer on the new bolts before you put them in so there are no leaks. Don't ask me how I know that!!
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #14
sphooch

thanks 4 all the help guys, I'm gonna order a 2 blade al. fan before I start this job, not looking to short gut just wanted the easiest way . now I have some food for thought. thanks THE HOOCH
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Ray in La Mesa

If you are going to a two blade fan and don't have use for the four blade, just bend one blade back so you can remove it. I would just throw the four blade away anyway, they don't work as well and break more than "A" two blades.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #16
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphooch View Post
could use some advise here , need to change out my water pump seems like a lot ,reading Les Andrews book . heres what I got..... 31 roadster, a 4 blade fan, which is bolted in [no studs] I have a stone guard on the grill, is there a way to change out the pump without removing the hood , stone guard, lights, etc. etc. or do I need to follow the book?? thanks guys THE HOOCH

This is another approach I use from time to time that is less evasive to the car on removing 4 blades when you are replacing a pump as well and installing a new 2 blade fan which you should do.
I use a sawsall with metal blade and just cut the pump and shaft in half at the open web and shaft area. It goes fast and then can be removed easily without removing the radiator, hoses, etc. I use a large towel and cover underneath the pump and engine front and cardboard in front of fan to radiator.
You can even salvage the fan if you wish for the parts stash.

This is not only a time saver but for folks who have headlight wiring issues etc it makes things a lot less evasive. I use the blow gun at the end to make sure all is blown clean. New water pump and fan should install easily.
Of course if you have a bolt on fan hub you should be OK without doing it this way. If not this is an option.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote